Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
*Almost* borked my Galaxy Tab

I decided I wanted to root my Verizon Galaxy Tab and install a new ROM and kernel. Why? Why not! I'd already done the same with a few other Android devices so felt ready for this.

First I went to this thread at XDA which showcases a ROM especially for Verizon Galaxy Tab. However, in order to use this ROM I had to work backwards because there isn't really a clearcut guide to doing this.

Reading the instructions I had to load CWM (Clorkwork Recovery Mod) or purchase the VZW bootstrapper. Went with the bootstrapper app. Reading the instructions for the bootstrapper requires the Tab to be rooted. Z4root works on the Tab.

Somwhere in doing all this I boloxed an install, I think it may have been CWM because I didn't understand how to boot into recovery mode. (With Tab off, hold up volume button and press power button for 2 seconds. Continue to hold up volume button until the Tab boots into recovery mode. You will see in landscape mode about a half dozen lines telling you your options and how to implement them.)

I thought I had made a backup of the factory ROM, but it either didn't work or I didn't understand the directions. So, I started googling and found [How TO] Restore VZW Galaxy Tab to stock DJ11 at droidforums.net. I was able to restore my Verizon Tab back to the factory ROM. Yes, I had to load all my data and apps again but it was worth it not to have a brick.

I do plan on trying again to flash a new ROM but I will be more careful this time.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I think is too risky and the benefits are not too many, in my opinion. We already have Android Market. So besides being able to make calls, I see no other reason for flashing the ROM, do you?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The ROM that is available over at XDA is getting good reviews and makes the Tab faster. Plus, I can't leave well enough alone.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm...

What you mean with faster? I've not checked XDA recently. Over clocking CPU speed maybe?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
caplanjr
caplanjr
caplanjr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Rooting the Tab not only allows you to clock the cpu (I won't say overclock because there are rumors it is only running at half speed) but remove some of the bloatware apps it comes with. I must say I haven't picked up my Kindle since loading the Kindle app onto the Galaxy Tab. I might use it again outdoors but indoors there's no comparison.
Oh, and T-mobile has removed z4root from the market. Hmmm.
caplanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline

Hmmm, the Tmobile version came pretty much clean, not bloated.

if the market was blocked, I would do it, but for altering the CPU speed and being able to make calls.. no, thanks. Also, maybe I'm wrong but we can't get phone calls with the Tmobile one, is blocked at carrier level not hardware or software level.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The rom is suppose to be based on gingerbread so in addition to the speed enhancement, you also get os enhancements like cut and paste.

I was reluctant to root/flash my phone but know that I have I'm so glad I did. Many of the bug fixes have been resolved and new features like wifi sharing have been added I really am enjoying the new Tom.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galaxy tab, rooting, verizon