Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
S Otteson
S Otteson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Footnotes?

Hi everyone,

I am working with Sigil (and Calibre) as part of a publishing internship. I have been very happy so far using Sigil to produce an eBook. But I do have one question: what is the best way to make footnotes in an eBook? Other sources I've looked at suggest making them hyperlinks, but how is this accomplished in Sigil?

Thanks so much for your help.
S Otteson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
It's done in the HTML code (select Split View or Code View in Sigil) with anchors and links. Here's a tutorial on HTML anchors and links I found helpful:
http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_links.asp
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A hyperlink editor has been on the "request list" for Sigil for ... let's just say "a considerable period of time" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
S Otteson

AndrewH - Ah, OK! I've dabbled in a bit of HTML, so that shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks so much for the reply and the link.

HarryT - I see. Also, I have to say that I love your icon!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
Visuddhi
Visuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheeseVisuddhi can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 3
Give the anchors names the
footnote itself ‘fn-1-1’
And the location of text ‘fnt-1-1’
i.e there is and extra 't' in the text location (but you can call them anything you want)

/In Chapter 1/
<p>blaaaaaaa blalalaaa&nbsp;<a href="#fn-1-1" id="fnt-1-1">[1]</a>&nbsp;blaaaaa blaaaaaa</p>
<p>blaaa blaa&nbsp;<a href="#fn-1-2" id="fnt-1-2">[2]</a>&nbsp;blaaaaa blaaaaaa<br /></p>

<p><a href="#fnt-1-1" id="fn-1-1">1</a>&nbsp;here is first footnote chapter 1</p>
<p><a href="#fnt-1-2" id="fn-1-2">2</a>&nbsp;second footnote<br /></p>

Looks like
blaaaaaaa blalalaaa [1] blaaaaa blaaaaaa
blaaa blaa [2] blaaaaa blaaaaaa

1 here is first footnote chapter 1
2 second footnote

To link to another chapter then you need to put in the page address before something like ‘Section0001.xhtml’ followed by link

/In Chapter 2/

<p>bblalalaaa&nbsp;<a href="#fn-2-1" id="fnt-2-1">[1]</a>&nbsp;blaaaaa blaaaaaa</p>
<p><a href="#fnt-2-1" id="fn-2-1">1</a>&nbsp;blaaa blaaaal ballll (also please see <a href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml#fn-1-1">Chapter Note 1</a>)</p>

1 blaaa blaaaal ballll (also please see Chapter Note 1)

I've added footnote.epub
Open it in Sigil to see example
Attached Files
File Type: epub footnote.epub (2.3 KB, 736 views)
Visuddhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
ade_mcc
ade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A hyperlink editor has been on the "request list" for Sigil for ... let's just say "a considerable period of time" .
A +1 from me if this makes any difference whatsoever! I don't use footnotes in Sigil very often, but when I do, I always have to refer to my notes to remember how to do it correctly. A hyperlink editor would be magic.

On a related note, do any of the current e-readers or file formats work in a way that places the footnotes in the correct place, i.e. at the bottom of the page in question? It seems logical, but perhaps not the easiest to implement, especially with authors who like their footnotes to extend over a couple of pages!
ade_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
S Otteson

Thanks so much, Visuddhi. I will take a look at that.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade_mcc View Post
A +1 from me if this makes any difference whatsoever! I don't use footnotes in Sigil very often, but when I do, I always have to refer to my notes to remember how to do it correctly. A hyperlink editor would be magic.

On a related note, do any of the current e-readers or file formats work in a way that places the footnotes in the correct place, i.e. at the bottom of the page in question? It seems logical, but perhaps not the easiest to implement, especially with authors who like their footnotes to extend over a couple of pages!
Unfortunately this isn't something that either the ePub or the Mobipocket file format support. You can of course do it with PDF files.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Well, the ePUB format sort of supports it, there is "display: oeb-page-foot" which should do something very similar (though, as currently defined, it's not good when there are several footnotes in a page). But I don't know of any ePUB reader that supports this feature.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After reading and editing a couple books with footnotes/endnotes, here are my observations:

By having the footnote at the end of the chapter, the ereader doesn't have to open a new HTML file when you refer to the footnote, thus going back-and-forth from the footnote and text is faster than with endnotes (and I would assume uses up less power on the ereader).

With footnotes that span multiple pages on the ereader, an additional link at the end of the footnote referring back to the text is very welcome.

Since endnotes are located at the end of the book, rather than the end of the chapter, reading from chapter to chapter is seamless. With footnotes, one might have to scan past several pages of footnotes to go to the next chapter. Of course this could be alleviated by inserting a 'Next Chapter' link before the footnotes.

Creating links manually in HTML is T E D I O U S. If the Sigil creators need ideas for implementation of anchors and links, I would heartily recommend taking a look at how Google Docs does it (they call anchors 'bookmarks' and insert a cute bookmark icon in place).
Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Creating links manually in HTML is T E D I O U S. If the Sigil creators need ideas for implementation of anchors and links, I would heartily recommend taking a look at how Google Docs does it (they call anchors 'bookmarks' and insert a cute bookmark icon in place).
"BookDesigner" (my favourite eBook tool) also has an excellent interface for managing hyperlinks.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
AndrewH
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"BookDesigner" (my favourite eBook tool) also has an excellent interface for managing hyperlinks.
Thank you Harry, I will try it.