Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
dodgyr
dodgyr began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Collection groups

What collections do you have on your e-reader?
I am having problems! lol (what else is new?!)
I would normally like to sort into multi level collections, but believe the T1 doesn't do this. ie. type/genre/author/series (eg. Fiction/Fantasy/David Gemmell/Drenai)
So how does everyone organise their collections?
Please give me tips on how I should be doing this!
dodgyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I use Calibre normally. Genre collections from tags. Series as well, although it tends to clutter the collections a bit too much for little benefit depending on how many books you have.

With Calibre you can have it create collections by author, series, or tags (or any combination). But they won't be multi-level. I just let it put a book into both my Fiction and Fantasy collections, and let the genre be my guide.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
dodgyr

Yeah, the organisation of books within calibre has been great. It is more on the T1 that I am having problems with. Using tags as the collection names, I had 10 books by the same author, and it already had about 40+ collections (which if anything, makes the collection method of looking for a book to read very tedious).
Trying to find a way to categorise my books in collections so that there are minimal intuitive collections so that I can find books to read that fits my mood easily. I thought of using just genre, but then you really have to know your series to find the 'next' book in a series to read (eg. reading a 6 part series and having to know the name of the next part to read). Did you find this or did you find a way around that?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Calibre has a series field for books. And the T1 driver supports creating collections from those series (default behavior to boot). But each series will get its own collection.

If you sort the collection by "Added Order", it will be in the same order as the series.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
I have my books by genre "Fiction", "Mystery", "Science", etc Then for series I start each series with a special character "*Zen", "*Piorot", "*HitchHiker", etc.

This forces all the genres and all the series to sort together in the collections list. If you have a lot of series you could start each type of series with a different special character "." for mysteries "*" for SciFi etc.

HTH
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyr View Post
Yeah, the organisation of books within calibre has been great. It is more on the T1 that I am having problems with. Using tags as the collection names, I had 10 books by the same author, and it already had about 40+ collections (which if anything, makes the collection method of looking for a book to read very tedious).
In calibre I have 10000 books and only 240 tags. For tag creation I only use the Goodreads metadata download plugin with the goodreads.json file attached to this post. Using the goodreads plugin for tags limits the amount of downloaded tags to a manageable amount perfectly suited for collections.

Quote:
I thought of using just genre, but then you really have to know your series to find the 'next' book in a series to read (eg. reading a 6 part series and having to know the name of the next part to read). Did you find this or did you find a way around that?
I use a couple of calibre tweaks to help me with series. The first tweak is how Sony collections are sorted. The below tweak insures all series based collections will be sorted in series order.

Code:
# Specify how SONY collections are sorted
sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['series'], 'series_index')]
This tweak will add (Series) after any collection based on series, see attached. This helps you quickly locate series amongst all collections.

Code:
# Specify renaming rules for SONY collections
sony_collection_name_template = '{value} {category:|(|)}'
sony_collection_renaming_rules = {'series': 'Series'}
On my 950 I use a plugboard that adds series info to be added to the author line (see attached) but I think the jury is still out (read this thread starting here) on whether the finer points of the plugboards will work with the T-1 based on possible limits in author field length.

Have fun with your new toy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-14.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	77824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Author series.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	77825  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I do the same as Walt with the series name and number appended to the author via plugboard.
I only have author_sort collections as series and tag collections make for too long a list on reader and are not a big benefit to me personally.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
dodgyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I use a couple of calibre tweaks to help me with series. The first tweak is how Sony collections are sorted. The below tweak insures all series based collections will be sorted in series order.

Code:
# Specify how SONY collections are sorted
sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['series'], 'series_index')]
This tweak will add (Series) after any collection based on series, see attached. This helps you quickly locate series amongst all collections.

Code:
# Specify renaming rules for SONY collections
sony_collection_name_template = '{value} {category:|(|)}'
sony_collection_renaming_rules = {'series': 'Series'}
On my 950 I use a plugboard that adds series info to be added to the author line (see attached) but I think the jury is still out (read this thread starting here) on whether the finer points of the plugboards will work with the T-1 based on possible limits in author field length.

Have fun with your new toy.
Are the screenshots you showed the results of the coding for Sony collections or the result of using the plugboard? The screenshots shown is exactly what I think I need. If it is the results of the Sony collection coding, please let me know where in Calibre I input those codes. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are the screenshots you showed the results of the coding for Sony collections or the result of using the plugboard? The screenshots shown is exactly what I think I need. If it is the results of the Sony collection coding, please let me know where in Calibre I input those codes. Thanks!
The first screen shot with series appended to the collection name was from the tweak. The second screenshot with the series info in the author line was based off the plugboard I linked to.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
dodgyr

Can you please advise where in Calibre I should be including those code snippets? Thanks heaps!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Can you please advise where in Calibre I should be including those code snippets? Thanks heaps!
Preferences - Tweaks
Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Preferences - Tweaks
Thank you. I had the same question, but never posted it. Got distracted!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
dwanthny,

Thanks very much for the tweaks. I've been looking for something like these!

Have some Karma.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
H3lpdesk
eBook management research
H3lpdesk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Kindle and iPad or Galaxy
Hi all, I'm in the same boat, but I think I have half a paddle! ..If anyone has the other paddle, can they let me know!

I'm trying to put all this together (and for some strange reason decided to use PowerPoint, as I was playing with a template..., so.... grab a copy here and let me know what you think (be gentle, eh?)
Regards,
Mark
H3lpdesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #15
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lpdesk View Post
Hi all, I'm in the same boat, but I think I have half a paddle! ..If anyone has the other paddle, can they let me know!

I'm trying to put all this together (and for some strange reason decided to use PowerPoint, as I was playing with a template..., so.... grab a copy here and let me know what you think (be gentle, eh?)
Regards,
Mark
Thanks to your manual , that finally I can send, as it should be, the collections at prs-t1.

Karma to you
nausica is offline   Reply With Quote