Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Does iPad get warm/hot after some time?

Does iPad heat up gradually after it is turned on, like most LCD gadgets do? If so, how warm/hot does it get? Is it still comfortable to hold it, say, after half an hour?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Mine doesn't get hot. I've used it repeatedly for hours on end.

I read that iPads might overheat if you charge inside certain cases, but Apple tells you to remove from the case while charging. My case is a simple one-piece backing, and I charge in it without problem.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Ditto. Now if you're outside in direct sunlight for a substantial time then yes it will gey warm. But no, it doesn't warm on it's own.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
nope.. the backlighting is LED so it won't get very warm
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Does iPad heat up gradually after it is turned on, like most LCD gadgets do?
No, it doesn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for the info.

The product will launch in my country in July. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
And the good news, if you will get your hands on it, your hands wont get burned by the iPad (sorry couldn't resist)
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
It has a humongous heatsink (the back), so even if the components CAN get warm, you won't feel it.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
And the lack of heat is yet another reason my iPad is used all the time, and my netbook gathers dust. Even the little netbook with the latest Atom processor gets warm. And June in Texas is not the time you want to stick a hot electronic device in your lap.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
It stays surprisingly cool! Even my iPhone 3GS can get slightly warm when running certain tasks (video, some games), and I won't even bring up my first gen Macbook, which doubled as a lap warmer
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
One of the ways my iPad is WAY better than my laptop for SOME things. I laptop gets really hot, have to put a pillow between it and my lap, and even then it can heat through the pillow. Not so with my iPad. Doesn't even warm up.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
a pillow probably helps retain the heat too. never a good idea to put a laptop on something soft that will block airflow. invest in a lap desk, even the $20 plastic ones from target are a good idea.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Looks like Apple finally improved on heating. My iMac runs at 90-odd degrees, and is 90-degrees to the touch on the top. Apparently, that's normal. It works fine, as long as I don't touch it.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
Looks like Apple finally improved on heating. My iMac runs at 90-odd degrees, and is 90-degrees to the touch on the top. Apparently, that's normal. It works fine, as long as I don't touch it.
I hope you mean 90 degrees Fahrenheit?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I remember the brief time I had Macs.... for a laptop I had a PowerBook, and you could grill pork chops on it!!! (well, it felt like it anyway....)
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote