Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
epub3

how to create epub3
will some one say me what is the basic structure of the folders in EPUB3
me too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Please check the specifications of the ePUB3 format on the IDPF site or look at the wiki of Mobileread.
The folder structure has not changed from ePUB2 to ePUB3.

There are no real editors for ePUB3 as of yet, so it is all manual work. I have heard that the latest ID can save as ePUB3, but I am not sure about the quality.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

i have..

sir
i have an epub 2 , how can i updrade it to epub3,
will some can provide me with the css,content.opf for the epub that contains video and audio or an epub
plz.....
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since all ePUB3 readers can read ePUB2 there is no reason to 'upgrade'. All the changes with regards to supported CSS and HTML5 are in the specs on the IDPF site.
Please read those and look at the site of Liz Castro. She has some example ePUB's in ePUB3 format.

I really hope you don't expect that someone will provide everything for you on a silver platter do you? How will you ever learn then.

That being said, I also cannot help you. I have never embedded audio/video in an ePUB and don't plan to do that for a very long time.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
look at the site of Liz Castro. She has some example ePUB's in ePUB3 format.
I did a search and found http://www.elizabethcastro.com/epub/index.html promoting her book only. Would you mind providing the exact URL?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I did a search and found http://www.elizabethcastro.com/epub/index.html promoting her book only. Would you mind providing the exact URL?
I think you want Liz' blog for samples, tutorials, etc...
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by me too View Post
sir
i have an epub 2 , how can i updrade it to epub3,
will some can provide me with the css,content.opf for the epub that contains video and audio or an epub
plz.....
Take your ePub you already have, extract the CSS, OPF, XML, NCX and have a look at it all. There you have the code you need for your ePub. What you are asking for is like trying to get better sound from an MP3 by converting to to FLAC.

You will find that most people don't want audio/video in their eBooks. Also, given that there are so few programs that will actually handle audio/video, it's not worth the hassle for something we don't actually want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
Just want to chime something, an epub with audio/video does not automatically mean that it's an epub3 file. iBooks uses epub2 format and accepts some epub3 declarations in it which means it allows video/audio tags to work plus javascript.

A true epub3 file should follow the epub3 specs of IDPF (i.e. folder structure, navigation, opf, html5/css3 declarations, etc.).
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerys View Post
Just want to chime something, an epub with audio/video does not automatically mean that it's an epub3 file. iBooks uses epub2 format and accepts some epub3 declarations in it which means it allows video/audio tags to work plus javascript.

A true epub3 file should follow the epub3 specs of IDPF (i.e. folder structure, navigation, opf, html5/css3 declarations, etc.).
Please be aware that as soon as you add audio/video to an ePUB2 file, it is no longer valid ePUB2! The reason it works in iBooks because the Apple developers were too lazy to program a reading engine following the specifications and used web-kit instead. That caused a lot of non-compatible issues already.

I agree that adding audio/video also doesn't mean it is automatically following the specifications of ePUB3.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Please be aware that as soon as you add audio/video to an ePUB2 file, it is no longer valid ePUB2!
Not necessarily. Since ADE supports .swf files, you can use Flash videos in epubs, if you provide a fallback definition.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I have bought the 'Audio and Video for ePub' package from

http://store.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store....VideoMiniguide

The package contains an audio example file and a video example file. They work well on my iPad2 but of course don't work on my Sony.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Elementary logic for beginners:

The fact that it works does not mean it's a valid ePub file.
The fact that it doesn't work does not mean it isn't a valid ePub file.
The fact that it's a valid ePub file does not mean it will work.
The fact that it isn't a valid ePub file does not mean it won't work.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #13
me too
Connoisseur

ah.....

i am confused,the matter is not about a valid epub or not,will some one say me that the tutorial iam following right now results in an epub3 or epub2
plz help(me too).......
Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
me too
Connoisseur

mine is......

hello again,
the tutorial iam following is
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm.../section3.html
Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #15
Toxaris
Wizard

Actually, that is the matter. A valid ePUB2 or ePUB3 is following the specifications and therefore will also inherit the limitations to those specifications.

Anyway, the 'tutorial' you are following is aiming for an ePUB2.