Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Oh, lots

eBookwise (sold it to buy a Sony)
Sony 505 (sold it to buy a Kindle 2)
Kindle 2 (gave it to my aunt, bought a Kindle 3)
Kindle 3 (gave it to my aunt when her husband stole her Kindle 2)
Kinde Touch (sold it when I thought I could get by with just an iPad)
Kobo Glo (when I got wrist problems from over-using the iPad)

If Kobo ever makes a Glo Mini, I would probably sell my Glo and get that. I also have an iPad Mini I use sometimes, which I sync with my iPhone. I tend to keep mostly short story collections on it because I can read those on the Mini during work breaks, or on the phone while commuting, and they aren't difficult and I can finish a story in one session. I do most of my longer leading on the Glo.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
K3
Sony PRS-T1

My first K3 was replaced at the tail end of its warranty. Soon after I got the replacement, I bought my Sony and gave the K3 to my roommate.

So 2 or 3, depending on how you look at it.

Also bought a Literati and a Pandigital but I didn't buy them for myself.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Prs-505 (given to Elderly neighbor, used daily)
Prs-300 (given to co worker, used daily)
Prs-350
Prs-650

@elfwreck, i loved my 505 too but found that the 650 far surpassed it except for LRF support.

EDIT: Wait a sec, it was the T1 that discontinued LRF support. Having switched to epub during my 505's reign I forgot that the 650 displayed LRF.
My 650 beat out my 505 on all fronts, and is still unsurpassed as a reader in my opinion.

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 07-12-2013 at 04:35 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My smallish list compared to some in order bought.

Sony 300
Sony 350
Kindle 3 (bought for my mother's birthday)
Sony T1
Kobo Mini
Kobo Aura

Sony 350 probably the best of the bunch, but I sold it for a pittance to a friend who desperately wanted an ereader to read Louis L'amour. He is on his second or third run-through even though I keep telling him there are other books in the universe

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Dedicated devices:
Kobo Original
Kobo Touch (on third KT - one lost, one broken)

Others
Palm Pilot
Dell Axim
HP (forget the name)

eeePC - net book

Asus Laptop

Asus Transformer

IPads
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
In order of acquisition (for fiction novels).

e-ink:
(2011) Sony PRS-350 (x4) - with PRS+, still the best e-ink reader I've used
(2012) iRiver Story HD (broken) - practically never used
(2013) Kobo Aura HD - useful frontlight and nice high resolution screen but still pales in comparison to the PRS-350 in terms of usability

others:
(2006) Dell Laptop - first foray into paid ebooks (Microsoft Reader/LIT)
(2007) PSP - TXT/PDF via Bookr
(2008) iPhone - Stanza
(2009) iPhone 3GS - Stanza
(2010) iPhone 4 - Stanza
(2010) iPod Touch 4th gen - Stanza
(2012) iPhone 5 - Stanza/iBooks
(2013) iPad with Retina - Marvin

Stanza kept me on iOS for a long time and now it looks like Marvin will continue doing the same. iPad's too heavy though so I'd likely go back to the iPhone when Marvin gets released for it.

If there's adequate lighting I tend to use the PRS-350. Unfortunately, most of my reading is done in the dark so that usually means iPhone or iPad.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Only two real ereaders:

Jetbook Lite -- My first, from almost 3 years ago. I still do almost all my reading on this one.

Jetbook Mini -- Just picked this one up, cheap, as an "open box" discount. It's pretty primitive, but I bought it to take on trips, etc., and I expect it will do fine.

I have two Android tablets that use for occasional/specialty reading:

Pandigital Novel -- Almost 3 years old. Very limited, but does a very good job on PDFs.

Avatar Sirius -- A few months old. Does a very good job with comics and magazines where color illustrations are important.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Only two, both of which I use.

Kindle 3 (I like the page turn buttons too much to upgrade).
Sony 350 (for taking with me to work, page turn buttons not quite as good as the Kindle).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
My first was the ebookwise 1150(?) which was a backlit heavy thing. (sold)

My second was a Jetbook Lite that took AA batteries. I didn't like the battery bump, sold it and got the Jetbook. It was so nice and small. (both sold)

Then I got the Kindle Keyboard wifi. Then I got the KK 3G. Sold that one, gave the first to my mother.

Then I got the Sony T1. (Had two for awhile. Sold both).

Now I have a Kindle Paperwhite. After the Touch model got the update to the PW UI, I got one of those, too. (My son is the only one who uses the Touch).

Then I learned more about Kobo and got the Mini and the Glo. They are my favorites of all on the list.

(This list does not include tablets, of which we currently have 4, but I don't read on them much).

My next ereader will be a Kobo Mini Glo, hopefully with card slot. If they make one.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Kindle Keyboard - went to the man
You pay your taxes in ereaders? I didn't know you could do that.

I recently bought my second. My first was a Sony 650. It still works fine, but a little bit of plastic broke off and it has a sharp edge there. Then I started craving a front-light and wifi. So I recently got a Paperwhite and I'm LOVING it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have only had 2 dedicated ereaders, both of them are Kindles and both were gifts. I got a Kindle 2 in January 2010 as a birthday gift and a Kindle Keyboard in June 2011 as a Father's Day gift.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #27
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Kindle 1
Kindle 2
Kindle Keyboard
Kindle 4
Kindle Touch
Kindle Paperwhite( my current main ereader)
Kindle Fire (first and second gen)

Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Nook HD(still in use)
Nook Simple Touch
Nook Glowlight

Kobo WiFi(returned)
Kobo Touch
Kobo Glo
Kobo Mini
Kobo Aura HD(I use this too)

Sony prs 500
Sony T1

Trekstor Pyrus Mini( use at work sometimes on break..fits nicely in nurses jacket)

I have used my ipads for reading as well.

Many of the above mentioned readers have been handed down to relatives or sold.

Last edited by voracious71; 07-13-2013 at 03:50 PM.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #28
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
Snip long list of ereaders.
Voracious by name, voracious by nature
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #29
Miira
Miira began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
K DX
K keyboard
various Android phones

The DX is still my main reading device, despite it's age.
Miira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #30
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
kindle 2 usa ony
kindle 2 uk

? e reader
kindle black (later called kindle keyboard i think)
iphone 3gs
and kindle fire hd 32 gb
ipad mini 16 gb

i run kindle app on my ipad and iphone as well as
ibooks
stanza
kobo
etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I only have one ereader at the moment, a Kindle Paperwhite but I have had many in the past: A Pandgital Novel, two Aluratek Libra Pros, a Kindle three and finally the latest one. So far the Kindle three has survived the longest of all of them. How about you?

Last edited by sian; 07-13-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: add info
sian is offline   Reply With Quote