Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Potential Kindle Fire HD Owner

Hello I am leaning towards buying a KFHD but have a few questions. I have no interest in rooting nor having a "pure" android experience. This is what I want in a tablet:
1. Web surfing, YouTube vids
2. View MS Word docs
3. Very little book reading
4. Light gaming, mostly Puzzles
5. Occasional video chat & pics
Therefore, in your professional opinions, is the KFHD right for me?
Also what is EXTREMELY important is the ability to communicate with others. Does Amazon's app store have texting apps like Text+ or TextNow? Is Instagram & Google+ accessible on the KFHD?
Thank you in advance!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
If you buy the kfhd, you are locked into amazon in many ways, and their app store sorta lags behind and is limited compared to the Google play store.

I like my firehd, but I love my nexus 7, for the freedom of running almost any app I find, with out jumping through loop holes to get the same app's on my firehd.

For what you listed as requirements for a tablet imo the nexus 7 or other tablets are closer to a match for you. I know for a fact that my nexus can do everything on your list.

The firehd is more as a media/entertainment device sorta locked into the velvet walls of the amazon garden. If amazon would let the walls down when it comes to running/using non amazon apps and content (music/video) (they seem to discriminate against not amazon) and let the firehd be all it CAN be it would be dam near the absolute best tablet on the market for its price bar none!

For now tho the nexus 7 imo holds that title.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 03-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the Nexus 7 but I'm bored with it and want to try the KFHD. So, are you quietly saying there's no Instagram or Google+ app for the KFHD??
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
I have the Nexus 7 but I'm bored with it and want to try the KFHD. So, are you quietly saying there's no Instagram or Google+ app for the KFHD??
Thanks!
Good question, that I can not answer because I have not tried to use them on my fire. If you can get them on the fire they may run without rooting, but I do not think so. I just do not know, someday I may root my fire but for now no plans to do that yet.

I bought my fire and still think it is great, but got tired of not being able to load apps because Google seemed to have a lock on all of the good ones, and amazon seems to lock out some Google stuff. I bought my nexus and have not looked back!

I still use the fire for watching movies and some reading from amazon using prime. If you like amazon you would love the firehd. But as said before, there is a lot of stuff that amazon has locked out of the firehd that will not run or even install unless it is rooted.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 03-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you're bored with the Nexus 7. I don't see any reason the Fire HD would snap you out of your doldrums. There's better sound/speakers on the Fire, but in almost every other category, I think the Nexus 7 has the advantage. I've found most of the "official" Google apps aren't available/compatible with the Fire anyway (not without jumping through hoops... which it sounds like you're not interested in).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
eSheri
Addict

One of my favorite things about mt N7 is the weight! How do the 2 compare? I definately want the Fire for entertainment and I feel like Amazon can deliver.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
One of my favorite things about mt N7 is the weight! How do the 2 compare? I definately want the Fire for entertainment and I feel like Amazon can deliver.
For entertainment the fire is the best choice hands down!

As for weight and bulk the fire wins that also weighing more and being larger compared to the nexus.

Also the fire has better glass compared to the nexus, the nexus will scratch easier. Plus I think the battery run time is a scrunch better than the nexus.

Sounds like you have already (sorta) made your mind up, you should not be disappointed with the firehd for entertaining you, I do believe for entertainment the firehd is the best on the market right now. (If you stick with amazon content, everything is almost a no brainer to use and load, the problems start when you try to use 3rd party content)

Last edited by DustyDisks; 03-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
eSheri
Addict

And I see they are offering $20 off the first year of prime with a fire purchase! Lol seems like a no brainer for one who is looking for entertainment!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
And I see they are offering $20 off the first year of prime with a fire purchase! Lol seems like a no brainer for one who is looking for entertainment!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Take a look at the samsung galaxy tab 2 7 inch. It has an sd card slot that others do not. It has the latest Android and is quite smooth in operation. I have one, a kindle fire and a lepan 10 inch. The samsung is top, only use the fire for reading and the 10 inch for games/reading. Could ditch the fire and 10 and probably not miss them.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Fire HD is great, and you can run third party apps without rooting. I have the ADW launcher on mine. Great for when I am sick of the Carousel. (Which is usually). Using the browser, I went to 1mobile.com and downloaded the app to the Fire. That is where I usually go when I am looking for an app not available in the Amazon appstore. There are even some paid google apps that you can get to run on the Fire. I have 2 on mine, which I transferred via dropbox and installed with ES File explorer.

Google+ may not work....I can get gmail via the built in email app on the Fire. However when I loaded Chrome onto the Fire, I wasn't apple to log in to my Google Account. Could be user error. I just deleted it, I have Dolphin anyway.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Take a look at the samsung galaxy tab 2 7 inch. It has an sd card slot that others do not. It has the latest Android and is quite smooth in operation. I have one, a kindle fire and a lepan 10 inch. The samsung is top, only use the fire for reading and the 10 inch for games/reading. Could ditch the fire and 10 and probably not miss them.
Is that SD card only good for storing files such as books, music, and video, or can you run apps from it?

I ask because I bought a Lenovo A2 and the 32GB card I put in it is virtually useless. Unless I want to store books, music and video. So IMO having a card slot in a tablet is not a selling point.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
eSheri
Addict

I have lenovo a2109. Its too heavy for me. Samsung galaxy 7 2, great device but so similar to all my other android devices.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Sheri mine is the a2107. I think the screen really sucks, compared to the Fire. It's my little girl's so I don't let it bother me. But I would hesitate to buy another one of those! The Fire is great, let us know if you order one. The HD has a bigger bezel than the 2nd gen Fire and bigger than the Lenovo. I like it. Love the Amazon cover, too.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Sheri, I have been giving out the same advice to people shopping for a computer for thirty years. It's as valid today as it was when my friends were choosing between Ataris and Adams...

1) sit down and make a list of all the things you'd like to do with this computer
2) spend a little time identifying all the apps that you would love to use to do these things
3) make a list of all the computers that will run those apps
4) choose the computer that will do all that at the best price

It doesn't matter that there are a million iApps if you want to run Prime and it doesn't matter how amazing a nexus is if it cannot do the basic things you want to do with your portable computer.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote