Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
KatrinaCardway
eBookStore *****istrator
KatrinaCardway doesn't litterKatrinaCardway doesn't litterKatrinaCardway doesn't litter

Device: Several - Mostly Use Pocket PC - HP6315
The 4-Hour Workweek eBook edition

The 4-Hour Workweek is an example of the kind of book I love to hate.

At first glance it seems to be in the category of books like The Secret – lots of hype and nothing new (or really very interesting). And then there is Tim Ferris. A rather flamboyant character in his own right: entrepreneur, kickboxer, cage fighter, inspirational speaker and dancer, who has packed a lot of life into his 29 years. Against my better judgment I invested in a copy anyway.

The book is a pleasant surprise! Tim has an engaging and conversational writing style which makes the book fun to listen to or read. The case studies are well chosen and interesting. Tim presents some fascinating time management idea and helpful travel tips.

Because I do most of my research on my laptop, I ended up with a Mobipocket copy to use both on my Palm and on my laptop. This way I can annotate and cross reference the “Tools and Tricks” sections. It is worth buying the books specifically for these sections even if you don’t read another word.

Even though most reviewers (and the author, himself) maintain that this book is for everyone, I am not so sure. There are several reasons I can think of why many would consider his ideas fantastical and over the top.

The reviewers and Tim are correct, however, in so much as this book is a great reminder about what is really important in life.

Most Americans are truly over-informed, overworked and underpaid. This is a complicated society and most of us badly need to examine our priorities and simplify our lives. The 4-Hour Workweek has inspired me to do just that.

Any book which gets me to think more creatively has intrinsic value. So, against all odds, I am recommending this book.
KatrinaCardway is offline   Reply With Quote