Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
jmatute
jmatute began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Images in an ePub lost when inserting it in Calibre

Hi,

I created an ePub using Sigil, and everything went OK while it was just text. But I've inserted some photos, and can see them all right both using Sigil and as html files (breaking the ePub in html and jpg files, you know).

But when I drop this ePub file into Calibre the images are gone. Just the position marks as 'there was an image here but now there's not'.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,
Jose Luis

Last edited by jmatute; 07-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.
jmatute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatute View Post
Hi,

I created an ePub using Sigil, and everything went OK while it was just text. But I've inserted some photos, and can see them all right both using Sigil and as html files (breaking the ePub in html and jpg files, you know).

But when I drop this ePub file into Calibre the images are gone. Just the position marks as 'there was an image here but now there's not'.

Is there somethin I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,
Jose Luis
the images were NOT in the original EPUB. They were links to a Local File.
Moving (Placing) the 'epub' into Calibre, changed the location (lost) of the Images, relative to the book location.

There is ONE condition of a non-Sigil original source that Sigil does very poor (OK terrible), The Same name Image in original sub-folders. The folders get flattened and repeat names get overwritten. (book1/cover.jpg,book3/cover.jpg,book3/cover.jpg: all get written to ../Images/cover.jpg ) This condition shows the WRONG mage.

The code (CV) of Image source tags from Sigil will Always read
Code:
src="../Images/file-name.jpg"
Case sensitive, relative location, supported file type (no BMP, TIF...).
Sigil will adjust non-Sigil sources the first time to this arrangement.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
jmatute

Sorry, I think I don't undestadn your answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
the images were NOT in the original EPUB. They were links to a Local File.
Moving (Placing) the 'epub' into Calibre, changed the location (lost) of the Images, relative to the book location.
When I open the ebook using sigil they're there. And if I unzip it they're there. But the .mobi file is much more smaller, so I think the images are not inside.

Quote:
There is ONE condition of a non-Sigil original source that Sigil does very poor (OK terrible), The Same name Image in original sub-folders. The folders get flattened and repeat names get overwritten.
I can see all the images either when I unzip the .epub book and in the Sigil screen - All of them. And I can see none in the .mobi file.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Old 07-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't use Mobi.
What file type are the Images?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
jmatute

The images are jpg files.

If you don't use .mobi files you won't see this issue unless you force it using Calibre (0.8.8, BTW). My wife's Kindle doesn't read ePub files.

Thank you anyway.
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatute View Post
The images are jpg files.

If you don't use .mobi files you won't see this issue unless you force it using Calibre (0.8.8, BTW). My wife's Kindle doesn't read ePub files.

Thank you anyway.
All I can think of, is they:
1) are mis-labled (not really a JPG)
2) Overly large (high DPI or file size)
3) An odd variant JPG
Old 07-06-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
jmatute

Quote:
All I can think of, is they:
1) are mis-labled (not really a JPG)
2) Overly large (high DPI or file size)
3) An odd variant JPG
First and third advices don't apply: they're downloaded from the web, and converted using IrfanView and Picasa (second try), recently updated versions of both programs.

Sorry to say that I tried your second advice reducing file size, and it didn't work.

Thank you anyway,
José Luis.