Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Protagitron
Protagitron began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
Semantics Issues in Apple

So, my understanding of certain place's requirements for EPUB is that they need a <guide> in the .OPF with all the sections tagged (ie "text", "toc", "title-page", etc.)

So, I go back and make sure all my sections are semantically tagged, but now when I check those same books out in iBooks, iBooks will ignore the table of contents, title page and cover and go straight to the dedication or first page of text. It's definitely an issue with adding in the semantics and not my <spine>, because when I change those same sections back to text, iBooks will start with them.

I guess I'm asking two questions, in my long-winded way:
1. Has anyone encountered this issue before with iBooks? How did you get around it?
2. Does anyone know if iBooks requires the <guide>? It would be nice if they made their standards open.
Thanks!

Last edited by Protagitron; 01-13-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Protagitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Protagitron
Protagitron began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
Ha, well, I'll answer my own question in case anyone else is having this problem. iBooks will jump over anything marked as "cover" or "toc" in the guide, instead going to the first "text", "dedication," etc. entry. If you want iBooks to open to a particular file, just call the <reference> “other.reader-start-page” in the <guide> instead.
Protagitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert