Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
SuzumiyaHaruhi
SuzumiyaHaruhi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Books with Seductress-Like characters

Something like a succubus.

Dangerous but alluring, and amiable enough that regular interaction isn't strange.

Most importantly that they are stronger or have much greater knowledge, than the protagonist.

Examples:
Lamia - Neverwhere
Yvaine - Stardust
Evanjalin - Finnikin of the Rock
Felurian(eh) - KingKiller
SuzumiyaHaruhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The queen of them all--She by H. Rider Haggard.

Short stories? There's "Rappaccini's Daughter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne, and "Dracula's Guest" by Bram Stoker.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
SuzumiyaHaruhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
The queen of them all--She by H. Rider Haggard.

Short stories? There's "Rappaccini's Daughter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne, and "Dracula's Guest" by Bram Stoker.
I've read All of the "She" novels.
Mostly because of Zork and Dwarf Fortress getting me into "King Solomon's Mines"
Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The Queen of the Damned, part of the Lestat series by Anne Rice.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Definitely not an alluring seductress and she is the protagonist, but the main character in the There is Not to Reason Why series by Jean Johnson is a super powerful precog from a heavy world.

Stronger -- yep. Heavy worlds give you lot of extra muscles and faster reflexes. She also has some telekinesis and some other magic like powers.
Knows more -- Super powerful precognitive trying to stop the end of ... everything. Kind of a Mary Sue because she knows what is around every corner.

Its SciFi with military discipline so any romance is formal.

Fantasy -- The Crown of Stars Series by Kate Elliott is popping into my head but is been so long since I read it I can't remember specifics. Just a feeling there was a sexy evil elf-like villain who knew more. Maybe someone can confirm/deny that.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Do they have to be female? The demons in Sarah Rees Brennan's "The Demon's Lexicon" will seduce anyone, any way they can, in order to get a little time in the human world, away from the barren waste of demonkind. They can be anything you want - lover, parent, that child you wanted but never had - and give you a taste of happiness that's so intense you'd give anything for a bit more.

The catch is, of course, that you'll end up giving everything.

Prequel short story: http://sarahtales.livejournal.com/164555.html#cutid1
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
SuzumiyaHaruhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Do they have to be female? The demons in Sarah Rees Brennan's "The Demon's Lexicon" will seduce anyone, any way they can, in order to get a little time in the human world, away from the barren waste of demonkind. They can be anything you want - lover, parent, that child you wanted but never had - and give you a taste of happiness that's so intense you'd give anything for a bit more.

The catch is, of course, that you'll end up giving everything.

Prequel short story: http://sarahtales.livejournal.com/164555.html#cutid1
I kinda prefer that it's female. Most of the popular romance novels follow a pretty predictable pattern where a normal girl finds an amazing guy, with one additional quirk.

Maybe he's a vampire, maybe he's a billionaire, maybe he's a werewolf, etc. Then he brings her on an "adventure". I rather enjoy reading these novels. They're a cheap, light read; easily digestible and easily forgettable. However, these are all stories about a girl being swept away into a fantastic reality.

Aren't there novels about a girl sweeping a guy off his feet?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzumiyaHaruhi View Post

I am NO expert on romance novels, but I enjoyed Clockwork Heart by Dru Pagliassotti. It's in my nook library, but B&N isn't selling the ebook. I must have bought it from Fictionwise...

Last edited by curtw; 06-29-2015 at 09:18 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:58 AM   #9
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzumiyaHaruhi View Post
I kinda prefer that it's female. Most of the popular romance novels follow a pretty predictable pattern where a normal girl finds an amazing guy, with one additional quirk.

Maybe he's a vampire, maybe he's a billionaire, maybe he's a werewolf, etc. Then he brings her on an "adventure". I rather enjoy reading these novels. They're a cheap, light read; easily digestible and easily forgettable. However, these are all stories about a girl being swept away into a fantastic reality.

I continue to rack my brain for girl gets guy seductress stories and keep getting stumped but here are some other ideas...

There is a character in the fantasy series Sword of Truth that kidnaps the hero and tortures him giving him something like Stockholme syndrome. But she is several books in and I don't think you can jump in without the earlier backstory. Not light reading.

Space Opera Agent of Change by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller introduces a strong mercenary heroine who is equal partners for shared adventure and fantastic reality with the hero. No sweeping but mutual partnership where she chastises him when he gets overly alpha male. The whole Liaden series fits the light and digestible criteria (though not forgettable for me since they are in my comfort re-read stack.)

Neither of these fit your greater knowledge requirement, stronger has some wiggle room.

SciFi Jaran, but Kate Elliott. Female protagonist who knows more, isn't stronger, but does sweep the hero off his feet (without trying to do so -- no seducing.) She is from a space-faring culture and finds herself on an interdicted planet amongst tribal nomadic horsemen and interstellar aliens passing for human. Another re-read for me.

Last edited by artifact; 07-01-2015 at 01:19 AM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Lilith," by J.R. Salamanca.

I've read this twice and love it.

Here's the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Lilith-J-R-Sal...lamanca+kindle

Unfortunately, the reviews (how many?) have the Salamanca title mixed in with the George MacDonald fantasy of the same name.

Be aware that the Salamanca title is concerned with mature themes, and may not be appropriate if you are an impressionable teenager.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-01-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:58 AM   #11
SuzumiyaHaruhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
There is a character in the fantasy series Sword of Truth that kidnaps the hero and tortures him giving him something like Stockholme syndrome. But she is several books in and I don't think you can jump in without the earlier backstory. Not light reading.
Edit: I read the first book and that bsdm section was not for me.

Last edited by SuzumiyaHaruhi; 07-06-2015 at 05:56 PM.