Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #46
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
King is currently working on a sequel to The Shining called Doctor Sleep with a grown-up Danny Torrance. Does anyone think this is a good idea?
One of the networks is making a prequel to The Shining about some of the things that happened before Jack got there.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #47
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
For me, "Under the Dome"

Seemed to go on FOREVER! Had to admit defeat half way through.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #48
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
i'd say song of susannah, part of the dark tower series... all his books after that one have been garbage in my opinion... speaking from the heart as a die hard steve king fan, he totally sucks donkey balls now compared to his earlier work.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #49
Paveuta
Paveuta began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
For me the absolute worst are "The regulators" and its twin book, cannot remember the title right now.

Also, I am NOT fond of the Dark Tower series.

My Dad finds the first books brilliant but just by reading the first page of the first one, I got discouraged and did not pick it up again until many years later (only to find out that every demon in sight wants to get laid with the gunslinger... go figure).

For the rest, I can read just about any other of his books, SK must have cast a spell on me since I read the "Night Shift" collection in my early teens, and I tend to agree with the current "the earlier books the better".

I think a lot of it has got to do with his gift of "visual" writing.

I think it's not by chance that so many of his books got adapted into movies
Paveuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #50
BlueSky77
BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3g, iPad 3, Nook Color w/cm7sd
I read (or tried to read) pretty much all of his stuff from the 1970's and early 1980's. Of that era, The Stand was the only one I could never get through. I tried so many times but it just didn't keep my attention. So that gets my vote for worst King novel that I've tried to read.

My favorite Stephen King novel has to be 'Salem's Lot. Second favorite is The Shining (off topic: The Kubrick movie did it absolutely no justice. If you want to watch an accurate representation of the book try watching the mini series with Steven Weber & Rebecca De Mornay).

I revisited King when he released Bag of Bones which I thought was pretty good. I haven't read anything by him since then though.

Last edited by BlueSky77; 08-07-2012 at 11:05 PM.
BlueSky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #51
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
For me, it was "The Tommyknockers."

A flushing toilet has more action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Yep. I think this was written at the height of his substance abuse. It shows.
I've read everything that I am aware of that King has published, and consider him one of my most favorite authors, but that doesn't mean that he hasn't written some real stinkers.

I agree that "The Tommyknockers" is his worst published novel, closely followed by "Dreamcatchers" (even though I enjoyed it).

I feel that "The Stand" and "Rage" are two of his best.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #52
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Man, I loved Tommyknockers as a young teen, and I don't think I was abusing any substances at the time.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #53
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Man, I loved Tommyknockers as a young teen, and I don't think I was abusing any substances at the time.
me too... i think he based that book on 'five million years to earth'

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/five-m...ears-to-earth/
Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #54
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

double post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #55
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paveuta View Post
For me the absolute worst are "The regulators" and its twin book, cannot remember the title right now.
I believe that title was "Desperation." I was at least able to finish those, unlike some of his other books. I'm still determined to give "Under the Dome" another try.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #56
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
me too... i think he based that book on 'five million years to earth'

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/five-m...ears-to-earth/
I haven't seen that movie in years. It was pretty freakin' scary when I first saw it as a kid.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #57
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I believe that title was "Desperation." I was at least able to finish those, unlike some of his other books. I'm still determined to give "Under the Dome" another try.
I found Desperation okay--it had a good monster, if not the greatest protagonists--but The Regulators was quite bad, and the whole alter egos / alternate universes shtick connecting the two books didn't add up to anything. Under the Dome, like I said, had a certain B-movie entertainment value mostly owing to the premise, not the characters or plot (though whatsisname at the meth lab was an okay reprise of the Trashcanman). I'd call it unremarkable, whereas Dreamcatcher and The Regulators produced an active stink.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #58
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

'under the dome' referenced jack reacher. just saying.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #59
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cujo - 219 pages of meandering nothingness, 100 pages of an ordinary rabid dog.
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #60
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
No way is Cujo the worst SK novel, imo. I haven't read it since I was a teen but I loved it. And for once, one of his endings actually took me by surprise.

Desperation is way worse than Cujo, but still way better than Dreamcatcher, which is pure puppy pooh.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote