Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #226
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
Kindle's capability to make the font darker

For PDF documents Kindle has the capability to make the font darker; it seems a software capability not related to the display type. I need that capability for pocketbook too.

PS: I know you have good programmers , the reader's software is the best on the market ; too bad you don't have enough good product managers - can't they see that people want this PB90x device mainly to read PDFs ?!!!
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #227
vojtarek
vojtarek began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 903
"Go to page" lacks random option (as real books have).
vojtarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #228
TDF
Enthusiast
TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Sony PRS-505 (mostly RIP)
Button press queuing would be nice. It's quite a bit obnoxious having to wait for each button press to register before another one can be made.
TDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #229
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by vojtarek View Post
"Go to page" lacks random option (as real books have).
It's not really random in a real book. You just stop flipping pages when you feel like it. Type in a number that you feel is random, and you will get the same effect.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #230
pini
pini began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903, iPod touch
comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonex View Post
Me too!! Please, add support for .cbz books.
yes, CBR & CBZ support +1 vote (makes 3?)

Pini
pini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #231
abijah
Enthusiast
abijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with others

Device: kobo aura h2o
Expecting a 'pc suite' like that of Nokia so that one could transfer files via usb and read them immediately.
abijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #232
dirdev
dirdev began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook IQ 701
LIT support would be nice. One of the reasons I got by PB IQ 701 was it can view so many formats. Why not add another wrench to its toolbox?
dirdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #233
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
Photo viewer with "zoom" option working like it should.
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #234
Camper
Camper began at the beginning.

Device: 360+
Weatherproofing?

My previous e-reader (Ectaco) recently bit the dust... my own fault, reading in a damp tent. After some research, I just purchased a PB360+. I love the screen and most everything else, but I know what would happen if I took this one for some rough camping.
I would try to double-Ziplock bag or even heat-seal it and read through the plastic, but for that I'd have to leave the clamshell protective cover off, and the screen would be unprotected... so here's a bright idea: Why not make that clamshell transparent so it can always stay on? All the controls are still accessible, and the actual screen is much better protected from accidental scratching, at worst you can just replace the cover. Note to the company: I bet many people would be willing to purchase such clear covers for their 360/360+'s.
And my wishlist for the next model, from my peculiar point of view, is this:
--A plastic, not glass-based screen, so it'd be less fragile. Ultimately, the unit should be able to withstand a real fall onto a hard surface.
--Weatherproofing as charged, splash- and dampproofing, seals all around.
--A regular (AAA?) battery, not a rechargeable one that requires access to electric power. (Well, you can still stick in a rechargeable AAA NiMn cell.)
--Oh, and I can easily live without the G-sensor.
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #235
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
so here's a bright idea: Why not make that clamshell transparent so it can always stay on? All the controls are still accessible, and the actual screen is much better protected from accidental scratching, at worst you can just replace the cover. Note to the company: I bet many people would be willing to purchase such clear covers for their 360/360+'s.
this is really a neat one: howeevr you can also try with a largish jewel CD box, the PB360 might fit.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #236
azaun
azaun began at the beginning.

Device: 603
Wanted features…
….a battery save mode. Were all is optimized for long battery live.
Maybe with individually activate able functions.
azaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #237
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Speaking of redundant battery usage, I would really like a feature that will allow me to turn off the battery led on my 602.
Once it would only turn on when you plugged the device, it was brown for charging and green for done.
After a firmware upgrade, it seems stuck in a 'debug' mode either that or someone redefined 'battery led'; Now its blinking brown for charging, steady for done charging.
But when its not attached to the cable its (and this is the most annoying and unnecessary part!) green for every action that takes power, thats right:
When you press any button it turns on green.
If you have the g-sensor on, every movement ... and it turns on green.

Its annoying ... its unnecessary ... and if you won't fix it as a bug ... please add this as a feature.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 AM   #238
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
But when its not attached to the cable its (and this is the most annoying and unnecessary part!) green for every action that takes power, thats right:
When you press any button it turns on green.
If you have the g-sensor on, every movement ... and it turns on green.

Its annoying ... its unnecessary ... and if you won't fix it as a bug ... please add this as a feature.
No. It is not unnecessary. It is an important feature.

Due to nature of e-ink screen, and due to nature of usual reading activity - turn page, read for XY seconds, turn page again - the device is idle most of the time.
The device loads and displays the page and switches itself off. This is why ordinary small "cell-phone" battery inside can last for weeks.
So, it is important for us to know when the device is working. This is indicated by that LED.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #239
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
No. It is not unnecessary. It is an important feature.

Due to nature of e-ink screen, and due to nature of usual reading activity - turn page, read for XY seconds, turn page again - the device is idle most of the time.
The device loads and displays the page and switches itself off. This is why ordinary small "cell-phone" battery inside can last for weeks.
So, it is important for us to know when the device is working. This is indicated by that LED.
The device doesn't turn itself off after every page load it's simply in the nature of e-ink displays that they don't require constant power to maintain the image once drawn.

When a user presses a button he knows power was used by the change in the display, same goes for using the g-sensor to change the page orientation.

That LED absolutely does not indicate that the device is working, it doesn't stay on constantly while the device is active; If a user doesn't have its device set to conserve power by turning itself off after x minutes of inactivity (found in the clock settings on my 602), the device will continue to draw power until it runs out.

This LED will at no time remind you to turn the device off, it only stays on for a few seconds after you took an action.

Give it some thought ... do you really need to see the led turns on when you can see on the actual display if the action you made resulted in a reaction?
Do you really need a constant reminder every time you turn a page ... that the drawing of a new page takes power?
Is it that constant reminder that power was used so important to you ... that you need to used more power by turning on a LED ?!
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #240
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
The device doesn't turn itself off after every page load ...
The device doesn't turn itself off as such. This was a simplification. But the processor does go to the "idle" state and waits for one of buttons to be pressed or for G-sensor. One of first devices Iliad from iRex was unable to turn processor to idle state and the result was that the battery only lasted fraction of the time they promised.
Quote:
When a user presses a button he knows power was used by the change in the display, same goes for using the g-sensor to change the page orientation.
Sometimes, when you have G-sensor activated even a small change in position results in processor "waking" from idle state, without actually changing orientation.
Page turn isn't the only situation when processor is working. There are situations when the LED is on for a long time. For example when you have changed the font size or when you have opened the book and the device is repaginating the book.

Quote:
That LED absolutely does not indicate that the device is working,
Yes it does.
It indicates that the processor is eating maximum level of power instead of much lower "idle" consumption
Quote:
Give it some thought ... do you really need to see the led turns on when you can see on the actual display if the action you made resulted in a reaction?
Do you really need a constant reminder every time you turn a page ... that the drawing of a new page takes power?
I *have* given it some thought.
This is a design feature. There are arguments against - such as your last point, that the LED itself eats power - and there are arguments in favour of this feature.
Sony reader or Kindle do not have such LED and people are obviously using those devices happily.
When I was using Sony PRS-500, the device could eat through *lots* of battery juice in very short time when re-paginating long book or when I have loaded an SD card with many books that the device started to index.
Kindle users have the same problem. Some people load lots of books in one go and the device starts to index the books (for the built-in search function) and the battery goes down very fast.
Quote:
Is it that constant reminder that power was used so important to you ... that you need to used more power by turning on a LED ?!
Yes, I *personaly* prefer to know when the power is drawn. But I wish they used something more energy efficient than that power-drawing LED ;-)

A good low-power LED has power consumption of 2mA [miliAmper] at 1.9V. The battery can provide 2mA at 3.7V for 500 hours. So ... the battery could power the LED for 35 days of continuous light (using step-down converter with 90% effectiveness)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote