Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
tuathane
Edge User

Thank you so much! Your app works perfectly!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
good153
Edge User

Thank you a lot, LutzS. Thanks for your great effort.

Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
fgruber
Edge User

excellent thanks a lot.

I'm glad to know that there are so many smart edge users ... Contrast this to the livescribe community where after several year still don't have a onenote importer... Just imagine the kind of programs we would have by know if there had been some info available about using the eink...

Anyway, some comments and suggestions:

- In onenote 2010 I had to make sure the notebook where I wanted to import the esj file was in 2007 compatibility mode otherwise it would give that error EXCEPTION 0x8004200B.

-Also it seems that by default the ink is imported as drawing and I had to manually change it to handwriting so that it would search the ink. Perhaps you can make the imported ink be treated as handwriting by default?

-Also if the journal have tabs perhaps could we use the tab names in Onenote as page name instead of using esj-page1, etc.

- I wonder if it would be possible to convert simple ink onenote pages to esj? or how are you currently accessing onenote documents form the edge? Are you converting them to pdf or something? It is a shame that the microsoft's live office can't show ink...

Last edited by fgruber; 02-12-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
LutzS
Edge User

Wow, thanks for the hint about the compatibility mode - never occurred to me, so I'll definitely check that out...
About the ink drawing issue: okay, a slightly longer explanation is in order:
My first attempt was indeed to provide the graphic as handwriting strokes - however that had 2 effects: 1 onenote tries to interpret the text right away and you don't have any option to control the conversion anymore (ie the alternate texts disappear) and 2 the interpretation was more crappy than doing it this way... how about if I add a control to import the strokes either as drawing or as handwriting?
Regarding the tabs: good odea, I'll add that to the todo list
And yeah, it should be no problem to convert onenote to esj too - besides probaby for the size limitations. If you want to lnow more about the esj ile format, just rename it to .zip on your desktop, unzip it and open the resulting file as xml I read this xml, convert it to onenote xml and update the selected pages (you can find all ths information in the lower window of the importer, btw) - alright, one more todo item..
Thanks for your comments
{yes, this was written using my pocket edge...}

Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
fgruber
Edge User

what keyboard are you using? slideit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LutzS View Post

Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
fgruber
Edge User

It would be awesome if we could modify a journal in onenote and then send it back to the edge. You would need to create a onenote page of the right size (pocket or big edge) so that it will fit when you put it back into the edge.

At some point it would great to have a way to do this directly. For example if you plug the edge to the computer with onenote then it should automatically sync (2 way) all journals in the edge with a specific notebook in onenote. That way you would be able to work either in you computer or in the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutzS View Post
s
And yeah, it should be no problem to convert onenote to esj too - besides probaby for the size limitations. If you want to lnow more about the esj ile format, just rename it to .zip on your desktop, unzip it and open the resulting file as xml I read this xml, convert it to onenote xml and update the selected pages (you can find all ths information in the lower window of the importer, btw) - alright, one more todo item..
Thanks for your comments

Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #22
Eddy R
Edge User

FWIW: Found this on PCMAG site
"Microsoft's note-taking and sharing software OneNote is now available in a mobile version from the Apple App Store for iPhone users (iOS 4.2 and above), ..."

Android version coming..???

Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #23
Fred
Edge User

I'm also waiting on an Android app, but considering how long it took Micro$oft to make an iPhone app (next to the Windows Mobile App which has been released 2-3 years ago !) am I afraid that we will never see an Android app.........

Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #24
alefor
Edge User

Ive been using the iPhone app since it came out. It is OK, but not great. It mandates the use of MS' cloud service, and will only display plain text.....no handwriting, no bold, etc. It could be used as a replacement for EverNote, and it's free.... but it is not as good as what one might think of as "OneNote on my phone".

Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
melusina
Edge User

LutzS, if I buy the Pocket Edge, this will be the first app I will look for, because OneNote is a serious part of my life! In fact, I am considering the PE partly because I see that you and the person who started this thread have already written OneNote - handwriting apps. I am a little nervous that the Edge is going to fade away without much further support so knowing that this is already there might help me make a "go" decision.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
LutzS
Edge User

melusina, I'm glad if I can help, though as you'll notice my app still leaves things to be desired I bought the Pocket Edge because I'm constantly on the move and was fed up with all my paper notes - after having tested the Sony eBook-reader as an alternative I was shocked and disappointed with the note-taking capabilities in that device: if you think the eInk screen on the Entourage Edge lags, try the Sony ones. I have quite a fast handwriting and almost all other eInk devices that allow you to write on ended up with just a few random lines on the screen rather than text. So if your major goal, like mine, is to take notes and bring them onto your desktop, I can only support your decision.
However, there ARE some negative things about the Pocket Edge and they particularly relate to the support issue raised by you - if you look through these forums, you'll notice that more issues are solved by the impressive support through the forum members (thanks, girls and guys) rather than the Entourage team. In particular, we all dearly miss the publication of the SDK - I would really love to try some hand-writing recognition directly on the eInk screen to further improve usability of the Edge, but ...
Nonetheless, I should stress that I'm happy with the device so far and even if Entourage should discontinue it for whatever reason, I'll continue to use it until it falls apart

Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #27
LutzS
Edge User

Guys, one question from my side: I notice that Windows Server 2008 offers web service based handwriting recognition - as opposed to the iPad, the Edge is not always online, but nonetheless, this may be an interesting option: send the journal page to the web and get the text back (as far as it goes)... what do you think? I must confess, I never developed an Android app though, so any pointers would be appreciated...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #28
paula-t
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagal View Post
1. download .NET framework 3.5 first
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en
2. download PE to .NET ink coverter
http://oeo.la/81iix_

[/URL]

Thank you, Seagal. You rock!
Questions now:

1) Is this compatible with OneNote 2010? And Windows 7 64 bits?
2) Is there any new link where we could try the application, as the link you posted is dead?

Thank you. I am blind to developing software, but I am keen on testing!
I use OneNote a lot, and I think your application extends remarkably the range of usefulness in the Edge, as other people have said. Thanks again.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #29
seagal
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula-t View Post
Thank you, Seagal. You rock!
Questions now:

1) Is this compatible with OneNote 2010? And Windows 7 64 bits?
2) Is there any new link where we could try the application, as the link you posted is dead?

Thank you. I am blind to developing software, but I am keen on testing!
I use OneNote a lot, and I think your application extends remarkably the range of usefulness in the Edge, as other people have said. Thanks again.
Lutzs developed another program, you should try this one. I buy a asus EP121 tablet, it's win7 system, so I don't need to convert PE to Oneone anymore. lol

Old 03-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #30
LutzS
Edge User

Yoohoo, an update
I've uploaded another release (here) which now also converts the strokes' width and colour.
I also reworked the interface so as to make the process slightly more "smooth" and hopefully even automated in the long run.
Sorry for the long wait - I actually spend most time on cleaning up the code in the first instance
Check it out and let me know if you encounter any bugs or have further great ideas...

PS. I'm looking into OneNote to Edge conversion, but OneNote stores most strokes in a binary format that needs a bit more interpretation - so be patient...