Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
jdomingos76
Enthusiast
jdomingos76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and 3 Int
What to do about 3.1 and the hacks?

If 3.1 is being enforced automatically like reported, and the hacks are not compatible with it, the correct thing to do is to uninstall the hacks for the time being, right?

Last edited by jdomingos76; 02-17-2011 at 05:01 PM.
jdomingos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
For a few days I had turned wifi off to avoid any auto-update. Yesterday I finally decided to remove the hacks to see what normal screensavers are like again. I also turned wifi on, got some books and turned it off. I don't like the Amazon screensavers and really got use to seeing my travel pictures.

So wifi remains off while I THINK about what I want. It would be nice to hear about some attempts by the EXPERTS to come up with a new hack scheme for 3.1.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
I guess this really depends on personal preferences...
I can only see 3 reasonable options:

1. uninstall hacks (if any) and update to 3.1 (or wait for an automatic update to 3.1)
2. install 3.1 with hacks installed - people report that the hacks should continue working after the update but you won't be able to uninstall them anymore or install new ones and downgrade to 3.0.x is basically impossible as well - potentially risky
3. disable automatic updates and keep using 3.0.x with all the current functionality except of that included in 3.1 for the time being

For me, the clear choice was disabling the automatic updates for now - 3.1 offers barely any added value to me while I use several hacks, some of them on a daily basis (I cannot imagine anymore always having to plug the cable just to transfer files to/from the Kindle, not being able to listen to audiobook while reading the book, loosing localization, custom keyboard shortcuts by launchpad etc). If the hacks are not very important for you then certainly 1 is the way to go...
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
jdomingos76
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
3. disable automatic updates and keep using 3.0.x with all the current functionality except of that included in 3.1 for the time being
How do you disable the automatic updates?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
omk
omk is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
oops, dup post, disregard

Last edited by omk; 02-17-2011 at 11:30 PM.
omk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
omk
omk is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
Jailbreak and install usb networking hack prior to 3.1 upgrade to retain a backdoor, even if you don't intend to use it right now. My understanding is the basic issue is that 3.1 verifies digital signatures against a public key with a specific filename, while 3.0.x took anything in the directory, which is what the jailbreak installed. With the network in place, it is possible to swap the keys to install another hack as usual, then swap it back re-enable amazon's updates (or better yet, leave hack key in place to prevent future down-your-throat forced updates from Big AZ that may further cannibalize usb network).

If you don't understand PKI or have decent Linux CLI background, better wait until another hack is published and tested that takes advantage of the hole to create alternate install mechanism for any new hacks. It is quite dangerous to telnet in and poke around the root fs if you don't know what you are doing.

That said, I can confirm the following sequence worked for me (ymmv):

- jailbreak 0.4.N applied to vanilla 3.0.2
- 3.0.3 update applied from AZ "preview" download
- usb networking 0.30N, screensaver 0.18N, and SSTimeOut 0.2 installed per NiLuJe's excellent thread/packages
- 3.1 update applied from AZ preview download (not the smaller incremental pushed to me, probably ok but untested)

After this, all three hacks still work and, most importantly, I can still telnet in as root. If this is sounding kind of foreign, don't do anything through usb network, just install it prior to 3.1 and you'll be ok.

The ironic thing is that in my case, I am not even interested in subverting DRM schemes, tethering their lame AT&T 3G or installing screensavers. I deal with embedded Linux at work all the time and could care less about hacking a Kindle on my day off - if it wasn't for Amazon's utter disregard for basic usability. All I wanted is for the DAMN SCREEN TO STAY ON FOR > 10MIN! Unbelievable what hoops we have to jump through for basic usability of the product, really.

Last edited by omk; 02-18-2011 at 12:01 AM.
omk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
Snakey
What would Snake do?
Snakey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
My dad has had the screen saver hack installed since January. Today he noticed that his page locations had disappeared, called Amazon to learn that he had the new firmware installed. I have no idea how he got it other than via wifi, but he was not aware of ever updating. Anyway his custom screen savers still work, everything was the same til he noticed the locations were gone.
Snakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomingos76 View Post
How do you disable the automatic updates?
Just install this hack.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
jdomingos76
Enthusiast

Well after some thinking I decided to unistall the hacks (jailbreak and screen saver), manually install 3.1, and wait for stable new hacks.
The new newspaper layout is just too good, and, with all respect, I don't trust emergency hacks that are being presented.

My first impression is that 3.1 seems stable and a little faster, but there may be some small issues with pagination. For example, after I lookup a word in the dictionary, I return to a position two lines down where I was before.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Yesterday I downloaded and installed 3.1 and honestly I don't see why so many people are against it. It works just fine, no problems whatsoever. Me happy
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #11
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Maybe someone could dissect updates and make a special update that includes all the features except the fix that closes jailbreaking?
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote