Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
some small amount of sanity on DRM

At least for video games but we can always hope...

Blizzard boss says DRM is a waste of time

http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/5/2...waste-of-time/
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
interesting quote at the end of that article :

"We need our development teams focused on content and cool features, not anti-piracy technology."

if only all companies were thinking that way.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It isn't perfect they still make you check with them online once to unlock the thing sort of like windows activation but compared to some of the other DRM schemes out there it's like getting dinner and flowers.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Hah! Imagine a publisher saying "we need to concentrate on publishing e-books with good typography and no errors, not on preventing buyers reading them on the device of their choice".
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Hah! Imagine a publisher saying "we need to concentrate on publishing e-books with good typography and no errors, not on preventing buyers reading them on the device of their choice".
you're right florence, what a ridiculous idea !
Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

I don't think we can expect "perfect" anytime soon. Telltame games has something like that. An online activation before you start playing, and that's it. Plus you have a high number of activations (25 or something) and it doesn't need to be on the same computer every time. That's good enough for me.

Warcraft and Starcraft would never have been so popular if it weren't for 'piracy', by the way. More people should see the marketing power of a little unlicensed distribution now and then.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I don't think we can expect "perfect" anytime soon. Telltame games has something like that. An online activation before you start playing, and that's it. Plus you have a high number of activations (25 or something) and it doesn't need to be on the same computer every time. That's good enough for me.
I like Ambrosia Software's scheme: you get an activation key when you buy their software online. It has a limited validity in time, so if you need it again later (say if you change computers or do a clean install) you have to apply for a new one by submitting the old key. I think the idea is that if too many people suddenly start to apply using the same key, that key is deactivated. I've had some of their games for years and regularly have to get new keys, and I've never had a problem with that procedure. Of course, you do need an Internet connexion to get a key.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I like Ambrosia Software's scheme: you get an activation key when you buy their software online. It has a limited validity in time, so if you need it again later (say if you change computers or do a clean install) you have to apply for a new one by submitting the old key. I think the idea is that if too many people suddenly start to apply using the same key, that key is deactivated. I've had some of their games for years and regularly have to get new keys, and I've never had a problem with that procedure. Of course, you do need an Internet connexion to get a key.
i would be a bit wary of a scheme like that ; what happens if the company goes out of business ? then you can't get a new key and you can't play the game anymore ?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i would be a bit wary of a scheme like that ; what happens if the company goes out of business ? then you can't get a new key and you can't play the game anymore ?
Yes, that's true, I hadn't thought of that. They have been in business for quite some time, but you never know.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Yes, that's true, I hadn't thought of that. They have been in business for quite some time, but you never know.
well, i don't know about that company and hopefully they are doing well and it won't ever be a problem. but i know that a lot of drm-ed music plateforms have gone out of business in the past and left their customers stuck. i think there was another story like that pretty recently if memory serves, within the past year maybe, but i could be wrong. that's what made me think of that.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
omk3
Wizard

Every company going out of business should automatically put their games in the public domain Problem solved.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Every company going out of business should automatically put their games in the public domain Problem solved.
Good idea, but I doubt the creditors would agree
Old 05-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
You have to take this info with a grain of salt. Blizzard is not allowing pure LAN play in SC2. So if you want to play multiplayer, you're playing through battle.net with a valid key. And the game's largest draw is for multiplayer. So it is nice that they aren't using copy protection, but it's not like the entire game is wide open to pirates anyways.

Edit: And yes, I've already pre-ordered the CE

Last edited by DarthV; 05-28-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: adding a comment
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

The lack of LAN plan is probably a form of DRM to keep people form installing it in every internet cafe on earth but someone will end up with a battle.net emulation system that works.

Still it's nice to see someone in the buisness world say this is getting crazy I'm going to just try and out out a good product and not sweat the small stuff.