Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Are larger sized eink displays actually better suited to reading?

I have read a few comments here and around the web which imply or state that people are finding the larger display on the KDX easier to read compared to the smaller size panels.

Could it be that the current eink panels just to not lend themselves to smaller form factors? I am thinking that the larger panels allow more light to reach the background and reflect more light back. As a result the larger panel either is or at least appears to be brighter/easier to read on than a 5" or 6" panel.

This is pure WAG on my part bit the comments I ran across here and there make me wonder.

I do not like the grey on the smaller panels, hence I do not like our K1 nor do I like the 505 and see no reason I would find the K2 an improvement. But even in video's I like the look of the larger readers like the KDX. My only thought is that because the there is more screen real estate it allows more light into the "equation" and even if the display is not actually whiter, it can appear whiter and offer better contrast.

I dunno, but thought it might be worth the discussion. Or do I need sleep and am seeing things?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
WAG ? "Walgreen Company (NYSE)" ? "Wives and Girlfriends" ? "Welsh Assembly Government" ? "Winnipeg Art Gallery" ?? what does it mean ?

as for your theory... to be honest i would more expect the contrast to be influenced by the colour of the surrounding frame (optical illusion :

)

but maybe this can be affected by the ratio of screen to frame ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Comparing the DR1000 to the CyBook, the screen are absolutely identical in appearance - the background is precisely the same "shade of grey".

The DR1000 is definitely easier to read, because it's much more like a book - in the font size I prefer to read with, it displays pretty much the same amount of text what one find on the page of a hardback book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It might also have something to do with the form factor. If you compare the two devices K2 and KDX, you'll see that the DX has relatively more screen compared to the complete size of the device.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Comparing the DR1000 to the CyBook, the screen are absolutely identical in appearance - the background is precisely the same "shade of grey".

The DR1000 is definitely easier to read, because it's much more like a book - in the font size I prefer to read with, it displays pretty much the same amount of text what one find on the page of a hardback book.
thanks, Harry, that helps a lot. Makes solid sense. Gives me more reason to wait longer. I am a person who much preferes a more yellow/tan/browner (is that even a word? hehehe) background as I seem to be less able to differenetiate blacks on grey. Still I like a subdued background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It might also have something to do with the form factor. If you compare the two devices K2 and KDX, you'll see that the DX has relatively more screen compared to the complete size of the device.
Good point thanks!! I really cannot wait for the Sony large format device to hit the Borders (I hope anyway) so I can do the exact same comparison.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
WAG ? "Walgreen Company (NYSE)" ? "Wives and Girlfriends" ? "Welsh Assembly Government" ? "Winnipeg Art Gallery" ?? what does it mean ?

as for your theory... to be honest i would more expect the contrast to be influenced by the colour of the surrounding frame (optical illusion :

)

but maybe this can be affected by the ratio of screen to frame ?
That is one of my favorite perspective examples. I think you have used it here before. It shows clearly how the surrounding colors can affect what we each perceive the tones/saturation/whathaveyou of other colors in an image.

As I have been (oh dear lawd forgive this pun), ahem, "re-kindling" my photography habit, I am really finding the this comes so into play when I have a shot which needs some massaging in PS or LR.

BTW, I do have that nasty habit...I pun...I suspect it's a birth defect and I do not even have the decency to do it in private nor wash my hands afterwards. I gauge the quality by the shade of puce people turn when I happen across a good one.

Oh, fyi...WAG = Wild Assed Guess...

Last edited by brecklundin; 06-14-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Text is text is text; and the only difference between the screens is size, not DPI or shades of gray or background color. The main reason why a large panel is preferable (to some) for text is that it requires fewer page turns.

Otherwise, considering that paperbacks are every bit as readable as a hardcover, size doesn't matter.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Text is text is text; and the only difference between the screens is size, not DPI or shades of gray or background color.
Background colour affects contrast, which is a significant factor in how readable the screen is. If you'd ever used a 1st generation eInk screen, you'd know that its darker background colour made it considerably less "contrasty" than the current, 2nd generation screens, and hence a lot less readable in poor light.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Background colour affects contrast, which is a significant factor in how readable the screen is....
Of course.

However, the background color on the Kindle DX screen is the same as the current generation of smaller screens. And the OP isn't asking about contrast, he's asking whether size alone improves readability.

Savvy?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
for reading I would be just as happy with a 5 inch device, but a 6 inch device can still fit in my pocket so it doesn't really matter to me.

I have no reason to want a larger screen, and am perfectly happy with small screens. Pocket reading, that's why I like eink.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Just FYI, my KDX background is slightly but noticeably lighter than my K2 background. And when I compared my K2 background to a dozen other K1s and K2s, mine was the lightest background there (though they are all nearly identical). I've read several K2 owners who said their KDX is more readable.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:31 AM   #12
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
Larger -> bulkier -> more difficult to hold in my hand while reading - actually I think they are worse suited to read when formatting is not an issue.
So for novels (text only): 6" or even 5"
For PDF or anything with pictures, spreadsheets etc.: 8" or bigger (just like in case of books - you do not see many paperback size documentations).

Last edited by worxland; 06-16-2009 at 02:37 AM.
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
for reading I would be just as happy with a 5 inch device, but a 6 inch device can still fit in my pocket so it doesn't really matter to me.

I have no reason to want a larger screen, and am perfectly happy with small screens. Pocket reading, that's why I like eink.
Same here. And that's why I'm waiting for the 5". 7" or larger might be good, but not for a dedicated e-reader. And when I finally got my 5" e-ink device, I think I'll still be reading on my PDA in bed (partially because of the backlight, partially because of its size and partially because of its sturdiness...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My DX definitely has better contrast than my K2 or my ex-K1.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
goodellboy
goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX
Page turns are distracting. Less frequent page turns = easier absorption into the reading material. The K2 will always be a disappointment to me after having used the KDX.
goodellboy is offline   Reply With Quote