Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Free Kindle Fire Case

Ok, ok, you're too late. The free cases are no longer available, but the story is interesting.

According to the New York Times, a merchant known as VIP Deals was selling their $59.99 cases for just $10, and if you gave them a review (they didn't say you had to give them a 5 star review) they would refund your $10. At one point they had almost 5,000 reviews and 4.9 stars on average. Unfortunately for them, Amazon wasn't amused and booted the merchant -- a search for "kindle fire cases by vip deals" now turns up nothing.

So, not big news, and the free case deal is gone, but an interesting story none the less.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Buying reviews is just as repulsive as buying votes. But this is America so stuff happens!

Trying to find legitimate reviews on items is a pain these days. Try googling any product name and "review" and chances are you will get a zillion hits from Amazon and other sales sites but almost no real reviews.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
That makes me wonder how many other "reviews" have been bought.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
To Amazon's credit they pulled the product from their site. However, I'm surprised that more manufacturers/sellers don't encourage their customers to review their products. I paid for an App called Quell that part way through the game asks if you like the App to give them an honest review. They don't offer any "refunds" or anything, but just ask for a review. I think that's pretty smart.

I also just bought a home bar from Amazon through a third party seller. They didn't ask but I gave them a review. If they did ask customers for a review they could probably increase sales by a substantial amount.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
There's a problem with the whole deal about asking for reviews though. Most people write the review just so the popup goes away, which loses the whole point of them. So many iTunes App Store reviews are simply 5 stars and "great" as the review. A LOT of apps give you incentives for them.

I use this site called Viewpoints. People get points and sometimes chances to get gift cards after you write additional reviews, not only that but you get samples (which you have to mark as your review being an incentive). I use it every time I try a new product. Whether you like it or hate it, you get rewarded the same amount of points as long as you write about a paragraph each time. You get to do that all on your own though, no company tells you to do it.

If people have something to say about a product, they'll say it. There's no benefit in demanding for a review that's going to be effortless - Which the iTunes App Store is pretty much made of.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote