Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Preferences:conversions:Output settings Crashes

Something recently happened
When I click Preferences: conversions: output settings,
Calibre crashes:
AppName: calibre.exe AppVer: 0.7.46.0 ModName: qtgui4.dll
ModVer: 4.7.1.0 Offset: 004a5c17

Was 7.47 on XPpro SP3,
Rebooted. No Joy
Un-installed and installed 7.46 No Joy

Ideas?
Note Input and common conversion settings usage are OK
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Something recently happened
When I click Preferences: conversions: output settings,
Calibre crashes:
AppName: calibre.exe AppVer: 0.7.46.0 ModName: qtgui4.dll
ModVer: 4.7.1.0 Offset: 004a5c17

Was 7.47 on XPpro SP3,
Rebooted. No Joy
Un-installed and installed 7.46 No Joy

Ideas?
Note Input and common conversion settings usage are OK
In this process did you ever reboot your machine?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
In this process did you ever reboot your machine?
Twice once with 7.47 to see if that helped (the basic: Did you reboot :P )

then again when I removed 7.47 and install 7.46 (see that line between 7.47 above )
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
then again when I removed 7.47 and install 7.46 (see that line between 7.47 above )
Thank goodness that wasn't a snake or it would have bit me. I had this exact problem once and can't remember what I did. I think I just waited for the next release.

As a test you could try exiting calibre, moving the configuration directory to another location for safe keeping, then restart calibre. Calibre will create a virgin configuration directory when you start up and point it to your library. If the problem goes away something was corrupted in the old directory.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You likely have a font on your system that is causing the crash. The only thing unusual about the output settings is that there is a control for font embedding in the LRF output settings
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Thank goodness that wasn't a snake or it would have bit me. I had this exact problem once and can't remember what I did. I think I just waited for the next release.

As a test you could try exiting calibre, moving the configuration directory to another location for safe keeping, then restart calibre. Calibre will create a virgin configuration directory when you start up and point it to your library. If the problem goes away something was corrupted in the old directory.

Good Luck.
I am on my Ubuntu machine, while I run Memtest86+ on the Windows system. 1 pass complete, but I will grind overnight

I might try you idea in the morning, if no better ideas.
TNX
Old 03-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

try removing any recently installed fonts/updating fontconfig and freetype/regenrating your font cache with fc-cache
Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
try removing any recently installed fonts/updating fontconfig and freetype/regenrating your font cache with fc-cache
The last font installed was Oct 2010.

fc-cache, fontconfig : You had me stumped until Google clued me that those were Linux commands.
The problem is on my XP system. (Is this an Evil Penguin plot, to make me switch off my XP boxes? )
Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run calibre in debug mode you will likely get a bunch of font related error messages that will help you track the problem down.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Wierder.

Spoiler:
Debug mode: <p>You have started calibre in debug mode. After you quit calibre, the debug log will be available in the file: c:\docume~1\shop1\locals~1\temp\tmpo0fdbm.txt<p>Th e log will be displayed automatically.

About 30 seconds after clicking "Output Settings", Calibre crashes. the Calibre-debug log contained the above (spoiler) message.

heading over to the location:
the named file does not exist in the directory
There are a bunch of Calibre... folders there (sample attached).
All are similar, all have the same worker log messages.
Attached Files
File Type: zip calibre_0.7.46_tmp_5gwrpf.zip (2.4 KB, 205 views)
Old 03-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run it in debug mode as

calibre-debug -g

from a command prompt
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Run it in debug mode as

calibre-debug -g

from a command prompt
that is what I did:
C:\Temp>calibre-debug -g 1>>log.txt 2>&1
That message was from log.txt
the other log (indicated in the log message) did not exist.

Note Starting and Quitting Calibre (in debug mode)
the Temp folder leaves behinf a fresh Calibre.. folder wit 2 'worker..' logs (both empty)
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah I thought you started it in debug mode via preferences.

Starting via calibre-debug will mean that the log in /tmp is not present, that's normal.

What does:

calibre-debug -c "from calibre.utils.fonts import fontconfig; print fontconfig.find_font_families()"

output
Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Ah I thought you started it in debug mode via preferences.

Starting via calibre-debug will mean that the log in /tmp is not present, that's normal.

What does:

calibre-debug -c "from calibre.utils.fonts import fontconfig; print fontconfig.find_font_families()"

output
Lots

Spoiler:
C:\Documents and Settings\shop1>calibre-debug -c "from calibre.utils.fonts import fontconfig; print fontconfig.find_font_families()"
[u'Antique Oakland', u'Arial', u'Arial Narrow', u'Atlanta', u'Belgium', u'Berling Antiqua', u'Bermuda Script', u'Bookdings', u'Brussels', u'Brussels Condensed', u'Calibri', u'Cambria', u'Can
dara', u'Comic Sans MS', u'Connecticut', u'Consolas', u'Constantia', u'Corbel', u'Courier New', u'DejaVu Sans', u'DejaVu Sans Mono', u'DejaVu Serif', u'Estrangelo Edessa', u'Franklin Gothic
Medium', u'Frutiger Linotype', u'Gautami', u'Gentium Basic', u'Gentium Book Basic', u'Georgia', u'Germany', u'Helsinki', u'Helsinki Narrow', u'Impact', u'Istanbul', u'Kartika', u'Latha', u'L
etter Gothic', u'Liberation Mono', u'Liberation Sans', u'Liberation Sans Narrow', u'Liberation Serif', u'Lucida Console', u'Lucida Sans', u'Lucida Sans Typewriter', u'Lucida Sans Unicode', u
'Mangal', u'Marlett', u'Microsoft Sans Serif', u'MV Boli', u'Nina', u'OpenSymbol', u'Palatino Linotype', u'PC Brussels', u'PC Tennessee', u'PT Dingbats 1', u'PT Dingbats 2', u'PT Symbol 1',
u'PT Symbol 2', u'PT Utah Condensed', u'Raavi', u'San Diego', u'Shruti', u'SimHei', u'Sylfaen', u'Symbol', u'Tahoma', u'Times New Roman', u'Trebuchet MS', u'Tunga', u'US', u'Utah', u'Verdana
', u'Vrinda', u'Webdings', u'Wingdings']
Old 03-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm then it's not the fonts, I'm at a loss in that case. Are you willing to run from source and do some debugging?