Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
artsci
artsci
artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle and Kindle 2
Hand made Kindle case designed to look like a book

I've updated this post with a link to my other post on the new version of this cover I created for my Kindle 2. Here's s link to that thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40384

I've also created a new thread with a series on instructions on how the make the Leonardo leather cover for the Kindle 2. Here's s link to that thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43083

While I love my new Kindle, I found the case very disappointing. A search of the Web revealed no third-party cases of any kind, so I decided to make my own. Since I know a bit about book making techniques, I decided to make a case that looked like a fine book that when opened revealed the Kindle -- a kind of old world, new world idea. I started with a lovely leather book cover hand made in Florence for a calendar, cut out the calendar, added some marbleized paper for the end papers, and used gold leaf to create the illusion of gllded pages when the book is closed. The Kindle slides into a felt-lined holder which secures it tightly in place. Some photos are provided below.

Now that I've made one, I've learned a few tricks that will make improvements possible on the next one, which I'm starting in a few days.

Some photos are provided below. I love the illusion of an old book masking the Kindle, and I've already fooled some friends with it. If anyone is interested in how this was done, let me know and I'll post detailed instructions.

Here are several shots of the case closed.

Surprise, there's a Kindle what appears to be classic book.

Last edited by artsci; 03-26-2009 at 09:04 PM.
artsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
lubberts
lubberts is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505, soon to be Kindle user!
Holy freaking cow!! That is BEAUTIFUL!! I love my kindle so far, my only qualm is the case. I came on the forum tonight to see if anyone had found a third party solution to the included case, and this is far and beyond my expectations! My girlfriend, self, and dad got one for christmas, and now I know what I'm going to make them to go with it! I would LOVE more information on how you constructed the case, and if you could take pictures while you make the next one you'd be my hero! Now I've just got to find the perfect books to start with...
I had something similar in mind in terms of using an old book, but my design involved cutting squares out of each page, and left ALOT to be desired.
Thanks for the brilliant Idea!!
lubberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Looks great. Nice contrast between the case and the Kindle.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Beautiful, great work!
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Gorgeous!
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 01:50 AM   #6
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I love it. What a great idea. Can't some entrepreneual person out there make a business of making them. For a reasonable price of course.

Charles Wilkes, San Joses, CA
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
It looks fabulous, congratulations.

I think similar commercial items would be sold as 'book safes' (Amazon seem to stock a few).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
artsci
artsci
artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I've been communicating with Jenni Bick, the owner of Jenni Bick bookbinding (www.jennibick.com). She's the importer of the Leonardo leather book cover I used to hand make my case. Jenni said that after the holidays she will contact her production sources in Florence about making a case for the Kindle like the one I created. Knowing the capabilities of Italian leather craftsmen, I'm sure they will come up with a superb product.

I'll post updates here as I get news from Jenni about progress. In the meantime, I'll be helping her work out a number of details relating to the functionality of any case she develops.

It looks like we may be on our way to a marvelous case that will be available to all.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
marcymckenzie
marcymckenzie began at the beginning.

Great cover!

I would love detailed directions for making this cover. What a great idea. Beautiful. marcy
marcymckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsci View Post
It looks like we may be on our way to a marvelous case that will be available to all.
Just please make sure it's usable while reading! It looks like your case (while absolutely gorgeous!) wouldn't be very useful while reading. Did you design yours purely as a carrying case and nothing more?
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #11
artsci
artsci

Actually, it's quite useful while reading. I've used it to read on planes, trains, at the kitchen table, and in bed. The cover lies totally flat when open, and it's easy to prop up -- much more convenient for reading, actually, than a paper book.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Awesome! I would buy one!
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #13
RobertGloverJr
RobertGloverJr began at the beginning.

It needs to fold backwards

I insist the Kindle community take note of my situation... that of a train and subway commuter who reads his Kindle standing up in rush hour traffic on trains and subways.

It is impossible for me to read the Kindle on trains and subways, standing up, unless I fold the Kindle holder backwards upon itself. That allows me to hold the Kindle with one hand.

I would not even *think* of buying a replacement holder for the Kindle unless it could fold back on itself. The idea of reading the Kindle while it is lying flat on a table with the cover open is ridiculous to me and hundreds of thousands of other train commuters.

The Kindle holder that came with my Kindle folds back upon itself perfectly. I am amazed more people do not realize that.
RobertGloverJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, RobertGloverJr! Your situation is hereby duly noted.

For what it's worth, I mostly use my PRS500 with the cover folded all the way back too. I find it handier that way for most of my reading situations.

Clearly, your usage requirements mean that this particular holder/cover is probably not what you need. However, it seems to be precisely what others need. So now that this need seems to be well in hand (so to speak), it's time to look into covers that will fit other needs, such as your own.

Has anyone contacted MEdge yet to see if they're working on a cover for the Kindle? they've done them for everyone else, I expect that Kindle would be on their list, and their covers are well suited for one-handed use.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, just checked M Edge's site, and they have a comment that they expect a Kindle case sometime next month:
http://www.buymedge.com/p_kindleoptions.html

Quote:
Coming mid-January 2008! Executive and Leisure style jackets in a variety of colors!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote