Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
Cairadawn
Cairadawn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Kindle 2 Screensaver Hack help Please

Okay I am sure I am missing something very simple but I am so confused. I am trying to install the hack 0.4, I think that is the newest hack. I have a few questions...

1. I don't understand when the readme file says for me to copy something to the "root" of my Kindle 2.... what is the "root"?

2.I don't have a 'directories' folder... I only have '.active-content-data' folder, 'audible' folder (I have audio books bought from Audible.com in that folder), a 'music' folder and a 'documents' folder (in searching that folder I see that it holds all my books). How am I to change a folder name when I don't have it to change?

I get the rest of the instructions....

I thank anyone that can help me, or even someone that can tell me how stupid I am! I know I have to be missing something so simple...
Cairadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Jiang
Enthusiast
Jiang is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle HD 8.9
I don't have a kindle 2, but I knew that you don't have to install a hack to change the screensaver, just put your pics into the screensaver folder.

root means the basic level of the folder when you connect your kindle with a pc, that is, at the same level where you see "audible" folder or some other folders.
Jiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiang
I don't have a kindle 2, but I knew that you don't have to install a hack to change the screensaver, just put your pics into the screensaver folder.
That won't work on a Kindle 2. With a Kindle 2, you definitely need to Jailbreak first and then install the Screensavers hack to be able to change your screensavers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiang
root means the basic level of the folder when you connect your kindle with a pc, that is, at the same level where you see "audible" folder or some other folders.
This part is correct.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Cairadawn
Cairadawn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
So you are saying I need to download the Jailbreak hack first, then the screensaver hack...

It will give the the folders that I am missing??
Cairadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So you are saying I need to download the Jailbreak hack first, then the screensaver hack...
Yes, install the jailbreak.
Then install the screensavers hack.

Quote:
It will give the the folders that I am missing??
It's been too long since I've done it, so I don't remember the specifics about folder names, but I don't remember having to rename any folders, so I have no idea what you're referring to in #2 in your original post.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert