Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #16
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iQQ View Post
No, I can't get into the rootfs. That's the problem. I am just wondering if we can let the boot up update work for uninstall.bin.
Nope, the boot-up update seems only to want an image of the device.

You seem to have three options:
  1. Call the number on the device that you get when you hold "HOME" and try to boot. Amazon asks no questions about why it's broke, they usually just overnight you a new one and have you send the old one back once yout get it (you're not the first to brick his unit this way :-).
  2. Attempt to build a full update bin. No one has done this successfully yet because it's dangerous. However, if you're unit is bricked anyway....
  3. User created update bins are currently done with a tar-bomb to install a fake certificate. You could use the same technique to try to overwrite your bad fonts.properties file with a good one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=4 If the boot-up update at least tries to unpack the update bin, then there's a good chance this could work.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #17
iQQ
iQQ began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Nope, the boot-up update seems only to want an image of the device.

You seem to have three options:
  1. Call the number on the device that you get when you hold "HOME" and try to boot. Amazon asks no questions about why it's broke, they usually just overnight you a new one and have you send the old one back once yout get it (you're not the first to brick his unit this way :-).
  2. Attempt to build a full update bin. No one has done this successfully yet because it's dangerous. However, if you're unit is bricked anyway....
  3. User created update bins are currently done with a tar-bomb to install a fake certificate. You could use the same technique to try to overwrite your bad fonts.properties file with a good one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=4 If the boot-up update at least tries to unpack the update bin, then there's a good chance this could work.
I may try the last. However, I do not kow how to build the tar-bomb.

What I observed is that when Kindle entered into recovery mode, I can use alt+1 to try .bin file. Unfortunately, it always reported that can't update because of the bin file is not correct.

If you can do so, can you please make a bin file which can be run when reboot the device. What I need is to make the attached file be run.
Attached Files
File Type: bin update_ufh_uninstall-kdxi.bin (3.1 KB, 164 views)
iQQ is offline   Reply With Quote