Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
Mubbles
Mubbles began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Buying for a friend moving to Korea

I have a friend who is moving to Korea for a few years, and I would really like to get her an e-reader as a going away gift (she tends to move around a fair amount and toting books with her isn't really an option).

I know she will want to be able to borrow library books, so my purchasing options (in Canada), seem to be between Sony and Kobo. I was researching the two when it occurred to me that I don't even know what e-book stores will let her purchase (English) books from Korea - does anyone have any insight on this?

The Kobo website indicates that travellers can download books, but gives no list of countries. I can't seem to find any information for the Sony ereader store (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place?)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Robin
Mubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Both stores sell ADE books, so it doesn't matter which ereader you buy, as both will be able to read books, unless you want integrated store on reader. (though sony is capable of downloading library books directly.) Her library doesn't have kindle books?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Mubbles
Mubbles began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
She currently uses a library in Canada (and I assume she will until the card expires) that does not have kindle books. I also figure that since ADE and epub are the more universal formats that Sony or Kobo would be the best way to go.

My concern is whether or not she will be able to buy english books from Korea, do you know if there are IP address restrictions? I'm unaware of other online stores for epub or Adobe formats other than Kobo or Sony.
Mubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Google Play is one. It has Korea on list. It's not supported in my country, where amazon and kobo are, so I assume they are also available.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubbles View Post
My concern is whether or not she will be able to buy english books from Korea, do you know if there are IP address restrictions? I'm unaware of other online stores for epub or Adobe formats other than Kobo or Sony.
I've been told that one can change their country in the Kobo store and get access to books/pricing for that region. So she could set things the Canada, or where ever, still get books. Note: This is as far as I know, I've never done so myself. Just stuff I've 'heard' in threads like the one for Kobo bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
Google Play is one. It has Korea on list. It's not supported in my country, where amazon and kobo are, so I assume they are also available.
But would the Google store for Korea offer English language books or only Korean? Not sure of the answer to that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Tell your friend to keep his or her original --- I guess it is US --- credit card and buy from the US store. That is how I do it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #7
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
I would suggest your friend would be better off getting a crema shine https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219522 once they get to Korea.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
international, kobo, korea, sony