Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #76
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
All I know is that when I improve my covers, I improve my sales. And when I improve my writing, I improve my reviews.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #77
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Reading Worldwalker's post on website designs brings to mind a pet peeve of mine: give me a tab labeled Books or Novels or Bibliography right on the first page of your website. Don't give me cutesy labels for what should be an essential part of your website. I'm visiting your site for one of two reasons - either I need to see a listing of your books or else I'm trying to find out if there is a new book coming out in the near future.

When you list your books, list them in publication order so I know the correct order to read them. If you wrote them out of sequence, then also give me a listing of reading order. Don't make me look at a grid of thumbnail images of the book covers and try to figure out if it goes from newest to oldest, oldest to newest, or just some random order.

So many times I just leave the author's website and go off to Fantastic Fiction's site and get the info there. Once I leave your site to do that, odds are good I'm not going to return to your site again.

Your website is your public face; spend some money on getting it designed properly. Don't let your friend who thinks he/she knows web design do it.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-20-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Edit to correct typo
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #78
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Reading Worldwalker's post on website designs brings to mind a pet peeve of mine: give me a tab labeled Books or Novels or Bibliography right on the first page of your website. Don't give me cutesy labels for what should be an essential part of your website. I'm visiting your site for one of two reasons - either I need to see a listing of your books or else I'm trying to find out if there is a new book coming out in the near future.

When you list your books, list them in publication order so I know the correct order to read them. If you wrote them out of sequence, then also give me a listing of reading order. Don't make me look at a grid of thumbnail images of the book covers and try to figure out if it goes from newest to oldest, oldest to newest, or just some random order.

So many times I just leave the author's website and go off to Fantastic Fiction's site and get the info there. Once I leave your site to to that, odds are good I'm not going to return to your site again.

Your website is your public face; spend some money on getting it designed properly. Don't let your friend who thinks he/she knows web design do it.
Harsh , but correct.

I think I did a few things wrong on my own site.

If you should have time to visit it, any suggestions to repair them?

I'm a poor indie who has to do everything himself.

(link in signature)

Thanks.
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #79
Jeff Rivera
Jeff Rivera began at the beginning.

Device: none
Covers are definitely meant to be the attention grabbers, although are not necessarily the deciding factor for me when choosing a book. A book can have a fantastic cover but if I don't like the synopsis and the first few pages don't grab me, I won't read it.
Jeff Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #80
DrLaurenceBrown
DrLaurenceBrown began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'll admit I judge based on a book's cover. It's the first thing that draws me in. The first step is getting your book in someone's hands - that's the hard part.
DrLaurenceBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #81
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think it's the cover and a killer blurb.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #82
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
I'm a browser, a window shopper who rarely has a destination in mind. So for me, cover first-- otherwise I might overlook a book (unless it is the rare instance when I am after a specific author or title). Blurb next, but then the sample. The sample is what will sell the book since I read almost exclusively in e. There is only one book I bought in the last year that I didn't sample (end of decade long series).
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nonfiction, self-help, spiritual