Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Calibre Content Server, Windows 7 Pro, SMC Docsis 3

Folks:

I have noodled around here and just am not getting anywhere.

I am able to start the content server on port 80. The test server button works fine: it opens localhost 127.0.0.1 and I can access the content as expected.

(Calibre is running on a desktop.)

If I grab a laptop, over wifi I can surf to 192.168.0.x, where x is the desktop, and I have full access to the content as if sitting on the desktop and using localhost.

So, Calibre is doing what it should, but I can only see it from inside the home network.

My gateway is an SMC router with a public address of 99.230.x.x. I have downloaded the SMC manual specific to my ISP here: http://www.smc.com/files/AJ/SMCD3GN-...ual_Rogers.pdf Pages 61-66 cover port forwarding.

It seems clear enough: "Users can configure the SMCD3GN to provide the port forwarding services which allow the Internet users to access local services such as the Web server or FTP server at your local site. This is done by redirecting the combination of the WAN IP address and the service port to the local private IP and its service port."

Step 1: Using pre-defined service, allow outside HTTP traffic to reach my desktop 192.168.0.x running on port 80.
Step 2: Create a customer defined service table which allows outside HTTP traffic such as 99.230.x.x:8000 to reach through to port 80.

But, it doesn't work.

Help, anyone?

Thanks!

Last edited by SensualPoet; 05-11-2011 at 10:19 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
[QUOTE=SensualPoet;1535208
Step 1: Using pre-defined service, allow outside HTTP traffic to reach my desktop 192.168.0.x running on port 80.
Step 2: Create a customer defined service table which allows outside HTTP traffic such as 99.230.x.x:8000 to reach through to port 80.

But, it doesn't work.

Help, anyone?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Your ISP may be blocking Web Servers (8080,80 range)

Did you 'enable' those services as Inbound?
Did you (mis-)configure the service with time restrictions?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your ISP may be blocking Web Servers (8080,80 range)

Did you 'enable' those services as Inbound?
Did you (mis-)configure the service with time restrictions?
Thanks for the thoughts.

The ISP only blocks SMTP port 25; everything else is open.

Step 1 is the inbound bit I believe: "Predefined service allows users to choose the traffic type to be allowed-in from Internet."

I cannot find any way to set time restrictions for access so I don't think that is misconfigured.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Thanks for the thoughts.

The ISP only blocks SMTP port 25; everything else is open.

Step 1 is the inbound bit I believe: "Predefined service allows users to choose the traffic type to be allowed-in from Internet."

I cannot find any way to set time restrictions for access so I don't think that is misconfigured.
Look at: Configuring Access Control on P69 of the manual
that may still be at default

also Configuring Schedule Rules on p79
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Look at: Configuring Access Control on P69 of the manual
that may still be at default

also Configuring Schedule Rules on p79
It still doesn't work even if I turn off the firewall which these two options are a part of.

Configuring Schedule Rules ONLY applies to URL blocking.

*sigh*

Maybe I can find someone at my ISP ....
Advert