Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #346
Juliepac
Juliepac began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, ipad, android phone
Unhappy

Does anyone have an older version of stanza to send to me. I'd like a version previous to 3.1. Can anyone help me?!
Juliepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #347
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepac View Post
Does anyone have an older version of stanza to send to me. I'd like a version previous to 3.1. Can anyone help me?!
I was able to use this

http://www.4shared.com/file/vBYvE5ek/Stanza_v31.html

But I have my iPad jailbroken. Ymmv
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #348
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
I have solved this by searching my recycle bin!! I searched on *.ipa and found my original 3.1.ipa and then used ifunbox to reinstall. I am so happy - and have backed up the file in several places.

The next problem is keeping it there. I have upgraded my ipad to 5.0 and have Stanza 3.2 installed there. I'm not sure how to stop the apps being constantly overwritten when I connect either device to itunes.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #349
flitbee
flitbee began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I have solved this by searching my recycle bin!! I searched on *.ipa and found my original 3.1.ipa and then used ifunbox to reinstall. I am so happy - and have backed up the file in several places.

The next problem is keeping it there. I have upgraded my ipad to 5.0 and have Stanza 3.2 installed there. I'm not sure how to stop the apps being constantly overwritten when I connect either device to itunes.
Could you send me the ipa too? Upload it somewhere (dropbox etc?) and send me a link?
flitbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #350
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattermole View Post
Anyhow, just thought I would mention that I am now torn between iBooks and Stanza.

I guess nothing is perfect.

Kat
I have this same issue and ended up staying with iBooks. I really like the book look of it despite the big margins and really like how easy it is to sync across the iPad and my iPod touch. I really don't find sending the books to iTunes through Calibre an issue. Night mode is all its really missing that is a top feature for me. The rest for me are minor gripes. I found the custom book shelf option to be pretty handy to sort everything the way I want. Not perfect by any means but I like it. The thing I love though about the iPad is the fact I can use multiple readers. Stanza, iBooks, Nook, Kindle and so on. That is the biggest thing I love about the iOS support and why I will probably never buy another Nook or a Kindle dedicated reader.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #351
andrea345
andrea345 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
For night mode - triple click on the home button, aagstn. If the triple click on the home button doesn't work, go to settings / general /accessibility / Triple-click Home should be set to White/Black.

This turns your whole iPad into Night Mode, but it's better than none. There are annoying backlit bar in iBooks.

I'd love it if they set up their bookshelf "collections" to be sortable. At least I can group my authors by name now.
andrea345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #352
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea345 View Post
For night mode - triple click on the home button, aagstn. If the triple click on the home button doesn't work, go to settings / general /accessibility / Triple-click Home should be set to White/Black.

This turns your whole iPad into Night Mode, but it's better than none. There are annoying backlit bar in iBooks.

I'd love it if they set up their bookshelf "collections" to be sortable. At least I can group my authors by name now.
As I said above, accessibility -> invert colors is not a valid replacement for night mode. That inverts everything, including any images in books.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #353
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitbee View Post
Could you send me the ipa too? Upload it somewhere (dropbox etc?) and send me a link?
That won't work because it is registered to my account and was why I was so pleased to find my own old 3.1. I did try loading somebody else's file and it failed. I posted because I thought maybe others hadn't thought of looking in their recycle bin either.

Last edited by Rachel; 11-21-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #354
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
As I said above, accessibility -> invert colors is not a valid replacement for night mode. That inverts everything, including any images in books.
When I found that Apple's solution for "night mode" was simply "inversion" I found myself - And then I some more and hit my first photo which looked like a film negative. I then and went and then .... iBooks is simply

1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #355
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It makes no sense, does it? I mean, any of the "Big 3" Apple, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble, could hire a 15-year-old at low wages and have them spend a couple of weeks and add the main features we wall want.

OK, so it would have to be a 25 year-old computer science graduate with i-device programming experience and it might take a month. (In fact, one of Apple's own software gurus could probably knock this off in a weekend.) So, at little cost, they'd have ebook reading apps that would be full-featured and make their stores and ebook reading experience even more attractive.

How hard can this be, Apple? Amazon? Barnes & Noble?
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #356
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Apple and the others aren't particularly interested in offering what you want. Instead, they want you to want what they offer.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #357
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Apple and the others aren't particularly interested in offering what you want. Instead, they want you to want what they offer.
iBooks offers something B&N and Amazon would never offer and that is syncing of sideloaded content across devices. That is definitely something people have asked for from Amazon and B&N and never gotten. This alone has made it my main program for reading. iBooks needs improvements, but I'm finding it to be a very nice program overall. I think some of its limitations are tied to the book like graphical look, but I find the tradeoff worth it as I like the way books look in iBooks, especially when you use landscape mode. The big margins really aren't an issue for me on the iPad because of the large screen size. There is plenty of text on screen at one time for me.

That said I hope Apple gets the message at some point and allows more customization of iBooks in the future.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #358
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
It makes no sense, does it? I mean, any of the "Big 3" Apple, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble, could hire a 15-year-old at low wages and have them spend a couple of weeks and add the main features we wall want.

OK, so it would have to be a 25 year-old computer science graduate with i-device programming experience and it might take a month. (In fact, one of Apple's own software gurus could probably knock this off in a weekend.) So, at little cost, they'd have ebook reading apps that would be full-featured and make their stores and ebook reading experience even more attractive.

How hard can this be, Apple? Amazon? Barnes & Noble?
The problem is we see lack of customization as a bug. The companies, esp Apple, see it as a feature. Simplicity wins every time. It's VERY hard to make things simple. The lazy way to do it is to leave out features. Problem solved.

Look at iBooks. It has that whole real book simulation thing going, with the page turn and book borders. Put in night mode, and it's going to look ugly. What book has black pages? So you have to rethink the look. Nah, too much trouble. So, no night mode for you!

Why do many readers allow only five or six different font sizes? Well it's easier for people to see all their choices and pick one, and you can only put so many on the option screen, so five it is. Want more? No size for you!

Same thing with font face, and on and on.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #359
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The problem is we see lack of customization as a bug. The companies, esp Apple, see it as a feature. Simplicity wins every time. It's VERY hard to make things simple. The lazy way to do it is to leave out features. Problem solved.

Look at iBooks. It has that whole real book simulation thing going, with the page turn and book borders. Put in night mode, and it's going to look ugly. What book has black pages? So you have to rethink the look. Nah, too much trouble. So, no night mode for you!

Why do many readers allow only five or six different font sizes? Well it's easier for people to see all their choices and pick one, and you can only put so many on the option screen, so five it is. Want more? No size for you!

Same thing with font face, and on and on.
Slavish adherence to a metaphor to the detriment of usability is a flaw all on its own. Personally, I find it insulting. Apple thinks I'm so dumb that I need to see a picture of a book to understand how to read an ebook.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #360
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Plus, it's easy, oh, so easy, to offer simplicity (the defaults) along with a few options for those (many) who want it!

Also, Apple's known for providing things for people that they didn't know they wanted! And, I'll bet that many of the things mentioned in this thread, many people would truly enjoy if they were included!

My issue with the Big 3 is that they sort of get it (e.g., Amazon's night mode, but no color themes; etc.)

Of course, related to all this is my pet peeve about dictionary/word apps-- that they don't have a night mode! It makes no sense; it's as if they never considered that people might want to look up a word at night and NOT be blinded by a bright white screen!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza