Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Why does Sony's OSX e-reader application require a reboot?

Why does Sony's e-reader desktop app for OSX require a reboot after installation and why can't I quit it?
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
A lot of software companies that don't often do OSX development aren't used to the Mac way of doing things, and so they throw their installers together with a minimum of thought and just use the default settings of having the OS reboot at the end of the process. I mean, look at the Sony Reader app itself: clearly not a whole lot of time and effort were spent on putting together quality software. Once the install process is complete, you can just force quit the installer by using the Apple menu - Force Quit, and then choosing the installer from the menu.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point. I was hoping it would be a better application as it's from Sony. The second part of my question was poorly explained. Why can't I quit the application, not the installer? The quit menu options is greyed out. Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Are you trying to quit before disconnecting the reader? If so then try ejecting the reader first... there are some odd glitches if software thinks it's still working with removable drives and the eReader counts as two removable drives... just a thought...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Ejecting shouldn't matter, but the way Sony designed the program, all you have to do is click the red circle in the top left corner of the window and the program will cease to run. I know this feels to "windows" like, but that's how it is done on the Mac too

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
stodge
Groupie

I don't have a Sony - I'm just taking the s/w for a test drive. Apparently the first time I ran it, the quit option was greyed out. The next time I ran it, the option was available. Weird. The guy in the Sony store lied to me - the site only shows prices in US$, not CAN$.