Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #3436
Monovertex
Monovertex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Ok, I'll let the Kindle overnight to charge and tomorrow try again to uninstall everything / install the update. If they all fail, I will go with Kubrick when I have 2-3 hours to spare and hope for the best.

Best case scenario, the Kindle will be in its normal state and I can still install stuff. Worst case scenario, I brick the Kindle and I'll see about replacing it in the near future (let's hope this doesn't happen).

Thank you both for all the help, you guys are great!

BTW, which one of the latest Kindles would you recommend just for reading (in case I have to replace)?
Monovertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #3437
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monovertex View Post
Ok, I'll let the Kindle overnight to charge and tomorrow try again to uninstall everything / install the update. If they all fail, I will go with Kubrick when I have 2-3 hours to spare and hope for the best.

Best case scenario, the Kindle will be in its normal state and I can still install stuff. Worst case scenario, I brick the Kindle and I'll see about replacing it in the near future (let's hope this doesn't happen).

Thank you both for all the help, you guys are great!

BTW, which one of the latest Kindles would you recommend just for reading (in case I have to replace)?
There are only two new ones this year (plus last year's PW2) -
And only the KT2 has shipped, listed by Amazon as the "Basic Kindle".

This is the new, low price end of the product line, replacing the K4 in the line-up.
Touch screen, no front light, lowest cost.

The top price end of the product line, the KV (voyage) is only being pre-ordered now, not expected to ship until next month.
Improved front light, higher pixel count screen (300dpi I think).

All three are i.MX6 SoC devices, all are shipping with 4GB of flash.

At the price listed for the KV - it should be an i.MX6Dual (dual core) but I think it is still the i.MX6Single.

Last edited by knc1; 10-17-2014 at 08:49 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #3438
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monovertex View Post
Nope, never put more than one bin on the root.
I mean I copied the linkjail, linkss and usbnet folders from the archives NiLuJe posted in the snapshots thread, onto the root of the Kindle.
Yep, that is the sequence.
Sorry, mistake on my part. I meant reverse order and I always tried to uninstall them in the reverse order.
Sorry for not being clear enough. To clarify, the sequence of steps I tried since the last reset to factory settings:
1. Copy linkjail, linkss, usbnet folders from the snapshot archives (latest version, I downloaded them 2 days ago) onto the Kindle root.
2. Copy "Update_usbnetwork_0.54.N_k3w_uninstall.bin" file onto the Kindle root.
3. Disconnet Kindle from laptop, unplug Kindle.
4. Apply the update (home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> update) = fails with U007.
5. Reset via slide button (keep it in open position for 30 seconds).
6. Connect Kindle, copy "Update_ss_0.44.N_k3w_uninstall.bin" onto root.
7. Disconnect, unplug.
8. Apply the update = fails with U007.
9. Reset via slide.
10. Connect Kindle, copy "Update_jailbreak_0.12.N_k3w_uninstall.bin" onto root.
11. Disconnect, unplug.
12. Apply the update = fails with U007.
13. Reset via slide.
14. Connect Kindle, copy 3.4 official update bin.
15. Disconnect, unplug.
16. Apply the update = fails with U007.
As for what happened before they all started failing with U007, I honestly can't say exactly, it was around 2011. I saw it started doing that and I didn't have time at the moment to fix it so I just left it be.
I know everything was working properly and I had SSH access, but at some point I forgot the password and this is where I went full retard mode and tried to reinstall the usbnetwork hack, thinking it would reset the SSH server settings.
When that didn't work, I thought resetting to the factory defaults would clear everything and obviously it didn't. After that I can't remember, but I probably tried some combinations of uninstallations and it broke the JB, I guess.
I should mention I never tried to install another Jailbreak except NiLuJe's, so that should be out of the discussion.
Please let me know if I can provide additional information.
You can use KiTTy or PuTTy under windows. There is a p/w site that will tell you what the root password is, though I don't know if it works w/ the K3. All this is useless if the usbnet hack is inoperable of course
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #3439
Monovertex
Monovertex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Thank you both for the replies and the information.

I'm glad to say that Operation Kubrick has been a success . I can also confirm it installs 3.4. I'm now with the latest Jailbreak and KUAL installed (so there's no battery issue, it can install stuff just fine).

Final question: is there any alternate file explorer, either as a kindlet or a replacement for the native one? I hate the Collections system, I just want to see the documents organized as I put them, in folders and sub-folders.

I was planning on installing Duokan just for this feature, but I'd rather avoid it.

Again, thank you all for the support, you guys are great!
Monovertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #3440
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That one may take some searching (and luck).

I **think** someone built MidNight Commander for the Kindle, and maybe for the K3.

I see from your info block that you are a recent member -
So maybe the hints on searching here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
will help.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #3441
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And a round of updates to match the K5 stuff...

JB v0.13.N, SS v0.45.N, Python 0.11.N, Fonts v5.14.N, USBNet v0.55.N! (Mostly updated binaries).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #3442
meflakcannon
meflakcannon began at the beginning.

Device: K3g
Legacy Version uninstallers?

NiLuJe,

I am still running an old k3g with 3.1 and 0.18.N installed. Can you tell me where the uninstaller is for 0.18.N? Oldest I can find is 0.20.N. I want to remove it before I update to 3.3 and then 3.4 for the Base OS. Or will the 0.20.N or higher work?

Love the work you have done, look forward to updating to the latest tweaks. 0.18.N --> 0.40+ is a huge bump and I the change logs look really really interesting.

Thanks,
m
meflakcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #3443
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@meflakcannon: No need to uninstall anything to upgrade, but FYI, know that you can safely (and in fact, you should) use the latest uninstallers to remove previous versions .

In your particular case, I'd update the hacks first, restart the device once that's done, and then proceed with the official updates.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #3444
mcriki
mcriki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4GB PW2
Hello to all
i'm looking for a tool to set screensaver for my PW2, i've seen that this is just for non touch devices, is there something similar even for paperwhite2?
mcriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #3445
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mcriki: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 PM   #3446
Wh0l3
Wh0l3 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
I'm using a Kindle 3 on 3.4.1 and have just successfully installed this hack. I'm trying to use OpenDyslexic font (Processed using the Python script) and it's working for most of my documents, but a good number (mainly coming from Readability's "Send To Kindle" Function and Amazon) are still on the default font.

Is there any way around this? I've been playing with different Font Override settings but no dice.

Thanks.

Last edited by Wh0l3; 02-06-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Wh0l3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #3447
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Wh0l3: No idea if those are sent as KF8 or not, but they might be, so you'll probably want to enable KF8/Browser handling in the Hack's settings.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #3448
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I have the 0.45.N ss hack installed in cover mode on my K3 WiFi 3.4.1 firmware. I get errors about extracting covers on some books. How can I determine the cause and fix this? I have myts installed, so if there is a way to launch the extraction script from there against these books I can do so and save any outputs. Any suggestions?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #3449
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Errors as in the cover doesn't get extracted? That can happen if the book is a PDOC.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #3450
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dhdurgee: It's gonna be painful over myts, I'd recommend checking over SSH instead, if you really need to [Or, better, on a proper desktop, since it's basically a Python script].

In the meantime, you can check the system logs (showlog), but that would only pinpoint it slightly more. Most likely the book simply doesn't have a cover embedded in its metadata (or is in an unsupported format).

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet