Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Randy
Randy began at the beginning.

Problem with magnets in leather cover

Shipped yesterday, got it today. It fits just fine, but I believe that the magnets in the leather cover are installed backwards or upside-down!
The cover flap doesn't stay closed like the stock black one does. I tried it 'inside out', so to speak, and the cover holds closed just fine in that orientation. I think they got the polarity wrong!

I called Sony Customer Service, they switched me to some kind of support line where they gave me an event ID and a new phone number, but they had no similar reports of this problem - so far. If you find the same issue, call 888-476-6972 and report it - they won't do anything (i.e. investigate) until more reports start rolling in. I don't want them to replace my cover with one that has the same problem!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The magnet is in Reader (top right corner), not the cover. I guess they have a small metal insert in the cover.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
The magnet is in Reader (top right corner), not the cover. I guess they have a small metal insert in the cover.
Quoting from the packaging that the cover came in:
"Product contains small magnets. Please keep away from credit cards. Sony is not responsible for any loss of data or damage to said cards."

And a paper clip is easily attracted to each of the cover magnets, so...
Old 10-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Interesting ... the stock cover doesn't seem to have magnets there, but rather just metal inserts.

Paper-clips don't seem to find them attractive, at least.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hmm well, I have the stock cover and while metal things stick very easily to the Reader's corner, they don't react to the cover at all. Who knows, maybe they decided to move the magnet to Reader in the middle of production?...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps the "fashion" covers are a bit stiffer than the stock, and need the extra pull to stay closed?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Randy

I suppose I should clarify that when I say 'they got the polarity wrong', I mean that the cover magnets may not be 'polarly' installed to be attracted to its mate in the Reader. As we all learned in science class (and from Paula Abdul), opposites attract.

Although, I must admit that I don't feel any kind of repelling force in either orientation either.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Can you just exchange it for another? What have you got to lose.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Question

Question.
Does a magnet bother e-ink displays like a crt ?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Remember we got arivero to test his broken Librie' screen a while back, yvanleterrible? Over on the iLiad forum somewhere, don't have time to find the link at the moment. Magnets didn't seem to make any difference to the screen -- we were trying to figure out if we could use a magnet to 'write' on the e-ink, no dice.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:45 AM   #11
Booky McGee
Booky McGee began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
There are actually two magnets in the Reader. Upper right, as well as one right by the 0 button. It is opposite polarity to the upper right magnet.

I have the brown leather cover, and it contains two magnets as well. I would have written off the included soft cover as having no magnets, but it does not stick to the reader while upside-down. Maybe it's a very weak flexible magnetic strip like a refrigerator door seal.
Booky McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

The stock cover has two pieces of steel/iron in it that match up to the magnets in the Reader itself, but they're not magnetic themselves (p-clips don't stick to them, anyway).

My own theory is that the fashion covers are a bit thicker/stiffer, and need their matching set of magnets to have enough hold to stay closed properly.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Teresita3
Teresita3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I plan to travel with the Sony Reader. My travel gear includes storage devices, a PDA, and credit cards that do not like magnets, all piled into the same backpack or laptop briefcase. Any precautions needed regarding the magnets in the Reader and/or in the fancy cover?
Teresita3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'd just try to keep them away from it, actually.

I hollowed out a book for a travel case for mine. works very nicely for physical protection, and as an extra bonus, it's pretty good thief camoflage.

(thanks to antonio_uk for the link to the instructions)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Remember we got arivero to test his broken Librie' screen a while back, yvanleterrible? Over on the iLiad forum somewhere, don't have time to find the link at the moment. Magnets didn't seem to make any difference to the screen -- we were trying to figure out if we could use a magnet to 'write' on the e-ink, no dice.
I tried to put the screen for some time in the door of the fridge, and also with some small magnets of the kind you use to paste messages in these doors. No reaction. Pity. I had wanted to write there.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote