Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Question about Sideloading Content

I am a longtime Kindle user who is waiting for the arrival of his Aura HD.

When sideloading, is there any advantage to putting books into subdirectories? Does content on the SD card get categorized differently then content in internal memory?

Thanks.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
When sideloading, is there any advantage to putting books into subdirectories? Does content on the SD card get categorized differently then content in internal memory?
Placing books in subdirectories does not have any advantages or disadvantages in terms of how the Aura handles them. Of course, using subdirectories may make it easier for you to manage your library from a computer. (For example: I have Calibre put everything under a directory called books. I will sometimes dump a file that isn't in my Calibre library into the root directory.)

As far as the user is concerned, the content on the SD card is handled in the same way as content in internal memory. The only difference is that the content disappears when the SD card is removed and reappears when the SD card is inserted.
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I am a longtime Kindle user who is waiting for the arrival of his Aura HD.

Thanks.
There is no real difference in the way that the Kobo treats books in subdirectories as compared to dumping all ebooks into a single directory or the root of the directory.

My personal preference is to keep each author in their own subdirectory but then I do a lot of editing in Sigil and then manually sideloading the ebooks.

Content on an uSD card is treated slightly differently from content in main memory. Early firmware versions generated all the thumbnails in the main memory, later firmware generated them on the fly to reduce space use and the newest firmware generates them on the fly and caches them in a directory on the uSD card itself. For the most part, this type of behaviour is transparent to the user and Calibre will now put generated book covers into the correct locations as needed by the firmware version.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
As far as I know, books placed in sub directories in the My Digital Editions directory are not recognized. Sub directories in to root directory seem to work fine. Personally, I think that the root isn't the most logical directory to place these kind of sub directories in.
My old reader (Icarus Touch, 2010) doesn't have this issue. You can place books in the My Digital Edtions directory in sub directories of sub directories.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote