Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: gane of thrones: good reads?
yep 88 61.97%
nope 17 11.97%
its okay 18 12.68%
option 4 19 13.38%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #31
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Perhaps the producers think the audience would find modern American accents anachronistic in the medieval-esque setting?

I find fake accents annoying. I say either find actors with the requisite accent, or let them speak in their normal voice.
Like Tony Curtis famously said in Son of Ali Baba with his New York accent, "Yonder lies da castle of my fadda."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #32
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One question I have:

This is an American fantasy series, set in a completely fictional world. Why does everyone put on (sometimes rather bad) British accents? Has LOTR made people expect that all fantasy characters speak with British accents?
Well, it's definitely not set in America so you need English spoken with an accent, and Scottish or Welsh would be unintelligible.
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #33
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think he's a bastard.
Spoiler:

I chose option 4. It's a great series but the last couple books were too all over the place and nothing at all was resolved in the last one. The characters just seemed like they were wandering around doing a whole lot of nothing.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #34
BenG
Home Guard

Don't play this game unless you want alcohol poisoning.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #35
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think he's a bastard.
Spoiler:
That's why I like him. SonOfABastard
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #36
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post

Don't play this game unless you want alcohol poisoning.
I like it when Bran has intercourse with his mother.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I like it when Bran has intercourse with his mother.
Spoiler:
Pre- or post-zombie mom? 'Cause the latter would just be plain weird.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #38
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I loved 1-3.
4 was ok.

I'm still waiting for the price to come down on 5. Currently the ebook edition is $14.99 while the paperback is $12.24.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #39
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android phone, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS 350
I voted for "its ok"...but maybe should have gone with option 4 because I didn't even make it through the first one (then had to return it to the library due to holds). I liked some of it, I hated the constant jumping between locations/characters so it just didn't hold my attention enough to get it done before time was up (nor held it enough to put my name back on the waiting list...) So I didn't feel there was anything WRONG with it per-say...(besides the switching viewpoints) but... meh.
(although looking at other posts maybe I'm not missing much)
Kaylee Skylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #40
Sitka
Sitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSitka juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Boox Max 2
I have loved all the books so far. I am quite fond of long and complex fantasies, so this series is very satisfying to me; I even enjoyed book 4, which I guess makes me a certifiable weirdo.

Regarding the TV series, I agree with VaporPunk and BenG. I always assumed it was set in the UK and Europe, so I would have been surprised to hear American accents. Many of the actors are Brits so I hope they at least can speak the lingo.
Sitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #41
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One question I have:

This is an American fantasy series, set in a completely fictional world. Why does everyone put on (sometimes rather bad) British accents? Has LOTR made people expect that all fantasy characters speak with British accents?

I guess to us it sounds better than as if they (Lannisters & Starks) were from Brooklyn and Queens...!
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #42
lornaw
lornaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I am currently reading 'The Feast of Crows' I really like the (e)book series and have not been able to watch the HBO series, as of yet.
I however, could not read 'Lord of the Rings', as I found those books boring but I loved the movies.
lornaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #43
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaw View Post
I am currently reading 'The Feast of Crows' I really like the (e)book series and have not been able to watch the HBO series, as of yet.
I however, could not read 'Lord of the Rings', as I found those books boring but I loved the movies.
Where did I leave my pitchfork and torch?

VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #44
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
The books ARE better, though the series is great. Be advised though, the Series follows book one pretty closely, but now that we are in Season 2, we can see the book and TV series starting to diverge a bit though the major elements remain constant. I think that's necessary in that 1) the youngest actors are starting to outgrow their roles and 2) The payroll required to follow the books exactly would be enormous.

We are seeing the usual consolidation of characters, time consolidation, etc. And the need to remain logically consistent with these changes will HAVE to affect the story line of the TV series a bit.

I can see where after 3 seasons, the TV show will need to move on or come to a conclusion while Martin's level of productivity will have only advanced the book story line a few months. The diverging needs of the two productions will cause problems for those who feel a need to keep the two story lines in synch.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #45
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
The books ARE better, though the series is great. Be advised though, the Series follows book one pretty closely, but now that we are in Season 2, we can see the book and TV series starting to diverge a bit though the major elements remain constant. I think that's necessary in that 1) the youngest actors are starting to outgrow their roles and 2) The payroll required to follow the books exactly would be enormous.

We are seeing the usual consolidation of characters, time consolidation, etc. And the need to remain logically consistent with these changes will HAVE to affect the story line of the TV series a bit.

I can see where after 3 seasons, the TV show will need to move on or come to a conclusion while Martin's level of productivity will have only advanced the book story line a few months. The diverging needs of the two productions will cause problems for those who feel a need to keep the two story lines in synch.
'But fans of the shows (and books) should not presume that certain seasons will deal with certain books, Weiss said. He said the plan that he and Benioff have involves taking on sections of the overall saga that make sense in 10-episode installments.

"We've always said that we see the show as an adaptation of George's series, not this book or that book," Weiss explained. "It's definitely true that 'A Storm of Swords' is too big to even come close to fitting in one season. We've done some shuffling around of things -- as an example, there were some things from Book 2 that ended up in Season 1, and there are probably going to be some things in Book 2 that didn't make it into Season 2 or maybe won't show up later. Book 3 is definitely too much for a 10-episode season, so we're taking the long view of the series of the whole, and trying to do as much justice as possible to George's overall epic story and be as true to the spirit as we can, while keeping it an exciting and viable and vivid as a television show that stands on its own two legs."

As I said in my conversation with Weiss, it sounds as though the way to look at upcoming season (hopefully seasons) of the show are as portions of the overall saga, not sections of particular books.'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1416386.html
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote