Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Resets (sometimes) when viewing PDF containing Japanese text

When viewing the following PDFs containing Japanee text, my Kobo Touch resets. But only sometimes. All PDFs are only 2 or 3 pages.

I downloaded the files to my Mac and then copied them to the Kobo using drag and drop. I was sure to let the Kobo do a scan to 100% after ejecting and unplugging it.

http://cornwalljapansociety.weebly.c...e-lessons.html

Any ideas?
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
When viewing the following PDFs containing Japanee text, my Kobo Touch resets. But only sometimes. All PDFs are only 2 or 3 pages.

I downloaded the files to my Mac and then copied them to the Kobo using drag and drop. I was sure to let the Kobo do a scan to 100% after ejecting and unplugging it.

http://cornwalljapansociety.weebly.c...e-lessons.html

Any ideas?
No problems for me. I'm also using Japanese ePubs and no issues at all. Could it be that you don't have Japanese fonts installed? I'm using the Unifont from UniFoundry (the only font, as far as I know, that is free and also supports full 65536 Unicode characters!).
Here is the font: http://unifoundry.com/unifont-5.1.20080907.zip and here you can see how to install it: http://atouchofkobo.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/260/
(I've asked that guy to do the experiment for me, before buying the KT myself: my wife is Japanese so I needed a reader supporting Japanese fonts! Sony (!) wasn't able...)
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
The PDF can be displayed, so it doesn't seem to be a font issue.

It's only sometimes that loading one such PDFs will reset the unit. Almost like it's run out of memory or is stuck in an infinite loop and therefore resets itself.

I'll do some more testing.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japanese, kobo, pdf, reset, touch