Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Filark
Edge User

Thumbs up Accessing Home Network from eDGe :)

I was able (with my husband's help ) to add other computers in our home network to the LAN tab in the ES File Explorer. I can now access files on these computers and copy them to my PE wirelessly.

We didn't see any helpful documentation from enTourage on how to do this. It wasn't hard, but not everything we tried worked right away.

Maybe this is old news to most of you, but if anyone else has a home network they want to access from their PE (or EE, I would imagine) let me assure you it is possible! I now have access to my husband's Calibre library as well as my own . . . Muahahahahahaa!

Basic steps: Go to ES File Explorer, tap LAN tab, hit Menu button, tap New, tap Server, enter IP address for each computer (one at a time) as shown, enter name and password for that computer or tap Anonymous if none.

Please add to or correct these directions, or ask for clarification if necessary. Thank you!

Last edited by Filark; 04-20-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Changed title to make it more search-friendly.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
paula-t
Edge User

Great! I will try this today. We are a big family with eight computers and two tablets at home, and as my husband is the network administrator, I guess I prefer that he fiddles with this personally.
(If I mess something up, there will be many people yelling at me at the same time.)

How about the transfer rate? Was it fast enough or is it better to use USB cable?

I also think this is not a much commented possibility, but indeed it adds functionality and options. Thanks for the report!

Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Filark
Edge User

The transfer rate was the same as when I access my desktop from my laptop, meaning I didn't think about it at all!

Some things might be easier over the cable, and of course the computer you are talking to has to be on, but copy/switch tabs/navigate to folder/paste worked with no lag for what I was doing.

P.S. I recommend asking your husband to help. At the least he can look up IP addresses and call them out to you, and at the best he will walk away thinking he did it himself.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
stjoe
Edge User

Just found this neat trick .. successfully setup within few minutes .. now can stream my musics from PC to PE ..

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
obsessed2
Edge User

You can also do a Scan for Servers (computers) and the PE or EE will add the computer automatically and you won't need to enter the IP address. For those trying to figure out their PC's IP address try this:

In the Windows Start Search box type:

cmd.exe

The Command Prompt window will pop up.

Type ipconfig and press Enter

The IP address for your computer will be the second entry.

Once you connect to the Computer you may be prompted for a password. Anonymous may not always work. However, under Windows Explorer you can easily Share out any Folder you like (e.g. Entourage Edge) by Right Clicking on the Folder, select Share, and choosing Everyone. The Folder you share out will show up under the list for that particular computer on your PE or EE and you will not be prompted for a user name or password to access it.

Last edited by obsessed2; 04-20-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
paula-t
Edge User

I will write a separate thread with instructions to LAN connect. I have done it and it is EXTREMELY easy, and now I have my desktop PC, my notebook and my edge all interconnected to transfer files...
Bruhaha!!!! THANKS FILARK for opening my eyes!!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
ivan
Edge User

Maybe I should have said something about networking the EE earlier but I never thought to do so. In fact I can access any computer, desktop and notebook and NAS, on our office LAN from my EE no matter if I am in the office or out in the wide world at a client's site.

Because our network has been setup using OS/2 then networking the EE to it is easier for me than trying to connect a windows notebook, we gave up on one windows notebook and gave it away.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Filark
Edge User

You are most welcome, Paula and stjoe! I love it when I am able to help.

Thank you, Obsessed. There's some good info in your post. I did find the search tool, but only after having manually entered all of our IP addresses!

Ivan, that is so cool!! I was wondering if I could access our network from the outside world. It's not set up for that now, but since you tell me it's possible I may ask my much-more-knowledgeable husband to figure out a way. Thanks!!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
ivan
Edge User

Filark, there are a few requirements that must be observed for you to do that and it is a little more complicated if your ISP has you on DHCP which means your IP adderess changes every so often. Here we have a fixed IP address which makes life easier for any of our people or clients trying to connect to our FTP server from the outside world. It also requires careful evaluation of your firewall settings so as not to expose everything to any casual caller that might drop by.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Filark, there are a few requirements that must be observed for you to do that and it is a little more complicated if your ISP has you on DHCP which means your IP adderess changes every so often. Here we have a fixed IP address which makes life easier for any of our people or clients trying to connect to our FTP server from the outside world. It also requires careful evaluation of your firewall settings so as not to expose everything to any casual caller that might drop by.
Even if the IP address of the host machine changes after its DHCP lease is expired you can still do a Scan and connect to the host computer by name. I would do this for say a home network instead of using a static IP address. Also, when using a wireless access point you are right you have to be aware that you can expose information so you need to choose a strong encryption method, WEP as a minimum and WPA preferred.