Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
jbr950
jbr950 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 90x
Where to buy?!

Hi Folks,
Brand new to this forum.. I've decided to take the plunge and get my first e-Reader and have decided to go with the Pocketbook Pro 902 (or 903 if anybody knows where to get one?), since it will read ePub, while kindle DX will not.

Where on earth can I buy one (902 and/or 903)?

shop.pocketbookreader.com seems to have the best price, but there are no merchant reviews on google, so I hesitate to drop my $300+ dollars over there without some evidence that they're legit. Has anyone bought from them? Is there a better/cheaper option?

Thanks!
-New eReader user!
jbr950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr950 View Post
Hi Folks,
Brand new to this forum.. I've decided to take the plunge and get my first e-Reader and have decided to go with the Pocketbook Pro 902 (or 903 if anybody knows where to get one?), since it will read ePub, while kindle DX will not.

Where on earth can I buy one (902 and/or 903)?

shop.pocketbookreader.com seems to have the best price, but there are no merchant reviews on google, so I hesitate to drop my $300+ dollars over there without some evidence that they're legit. Has anyone bought from them? Is there a better/cheaper option?

Thanks!
-New eReader user!
Hi jbr950, and welcome. Are you in the US? Dulin sells there the 902, otherwise there are vendors in Europe that ship to the US (I think greenreader is one of them), but if you tell us where you are it may be easier to help
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
I'd be very cautious about choosing an online supplier for this brand of devices, particularly by price.

In my experience, my order initially included the wrong item; when the order was completed, the seller decided to send a 302 that was the wrong color and it was defective (internal clock broken and SD card could not be removed). The seller and PB quietly (did not answer my emails) did nothing about this, other than suggest I spend an additional $60 to return the item to get the one I ordered, that perhaps would be fully functional.

Unless you can see what you are getting and check it for functionality, I'd look for a different product. This thread makes for interesting reading:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119429

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
I'd be very cautious about choosing an online supplier for this brand of devices, particularly by price.

In my experience, my order initially included the wrong item; when the order was completed, the seller decided to send a 302 that was the wrong color and it was defective (internal clock broken and SD card could not be removed). The seller and PB quietly (did not answer my emails) did nothing about this, other than suggest I spend an additional $60 to return the item to get the one I ordered, that perhaps would be fully functional.

Unless you can see what you are getting and check it for functionality, I'd look for a different product. This thread makes for interesting reading:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119429

Cheers,
Hi Metalmick, where did you get yours from? It would be really useful to know who to steer clear from, but I am not sure I saw it from the threads you linked.

As for the reliable sellers, with Greenreader so far I had an excellent customer service: bought one PB903 and two PB360. One of the PB360 was defective, and a replacement was sent immediately, even before I sent the defective one back. True, though, delivery costs are on the customer, but this is not uncommon, and it was clearly specified before I bought. I also heard good things about pocketgoods, but have no direct experience. If I were in the US I would buy from Dulin because I trust him.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I bought mine from Pocketgoods, and I didn't have any problems with the device or the delivery.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
PocketGoods too, very good and friendly CS
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
PB 360

I got mine from: http://www.pocketbookreader.com/

I was able to contact Pocketbooks US offices when my reader had a problem. They were able to help me out in a very quick manner.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Hi Metalmick, where did you get yours from? It would be really useful to know who to steer clear from, but I am not sure I saw it from the threads you linked.

<snip>...bought one PB903 and two PB360. One of the PB360 was defective, and a replacement was sent immediately, even before I sent the defective one back. True, though, delivery costs are on the customer...<snip>
Hi Paola, et al,

I found it interesting that you too, were sent a defective unit and then had to pay extra to get one that worked. This makes for interesting reading, particularly for prospective purchasers.

I'm in Australia, and it would have cost 25% of the purchase price to send the reader back for a refund. This was the sole alternative the seller offered, so I would have been out nearly $60 and no reader. I bought another from "tvpupsik" (Tatiana, on this forum) and she was terrific: I got the unit I paid for, working properly, and no unauthorized changes to the order.

At some stage I will get a different reader - I don't expect mine to be a long-term proposition - and I will certainly not get anything from PB.

Don't get me wrong, I like my reader, but reliability and support for the brand is exceedingly poor.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Hi Paola, et al,

I found it interesting that you too, were sent a defective unit and then had to pay extra to get one that worked. This makes for interesting reading, particularly for prospective purchasers.

I'm in Australia, and it would have cost 25% of the purchase price to send the reader back for a refund. This was the sole alternative the seller offered, so I would have been out nearly $60 and no reader. I bought another from "tvpupsik" (Tatiana, on this forum) and she was terrific: I got the unit I paid for, working properly, and no unauthorized changes to the order.

At some stage I will get a different reader - I don't expect mine to be a long-term proposition - and I will certainly not get anything from PB.

Don't get me wrong, I like my reader, but reliability and support for the brand is exceedingly poor.
Hi Metalmick,
thanks for this, and I completely understand your point - a bad experience is a bad experience, and nothing can change that. I also do not agree with the customer having to bear the costs if the device is defective: as a matter of principle, the vendor should send you the device in working conditions to begin with. In the specific, though, both delivery costs and the price of the units themselves were very very cheap (at least by European standards), and the info was clear, so I was prepared to go for it.
Is Tatiana a re-seller? that would be good to know!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
Metal Mick
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
<snip>
Is Tatiana a re-seller? that would be good to know!
Hi Paola,

yes, Tatiana is a reseller. She was terrific to deal with. I can't think of her site at the moment, but if you want me to extract it I will happily do so.

And thanks for the words of support - I appreciate them.

Any other queries, please feel free to ask.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
jbr950
jbr950 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 90x
Thanks for your replies. I'm in New York City; I found a store (17th Street Photo; www.17photo.com) that carries them in the store, so I plan on heading over to have a look. I just read, however, that Kindle and Kindle DX are getting library lending access this year, so now I have to wonder whether Kindle DX is a smarter buy. I'm starting a new thread to gauge which is better here: (feel free to comment!):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...47#post1538747

Jon
jbr950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
I would never buy a reader that allows the company to remotely delete my books, also having an expansion option is a priority.
I tend to keep my books on the card and organized experience tells me that eventually you'll need to reset a reader or some bug will cause it to forget your settings.

Don't take this as a recommendation of pocketbook see this forums for some of the troubles we have with pocketbooks units and the company first.
This is just to warn you against the kindle and some points to consider.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
I bought another from "tvpupsik" (Tatiana, on this forum) and she was terrific: I got the unit I paid for, working properly, and no unauthorized changes to the order.
Thank you for the compliment Michael!
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
filw
filw began at the beginning.

Device: none
When I was in NYC earlier this month, I took a trip to 17th Street photo's store specifically to check out the PB902. Unfortunately, they don't have a display model to try out. They did let me take the one they had out of the box, but of course it wasn't charged up, so I couldn't turn it on and really try it out.
filw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #15
chukwe
chukwe began at the beginning.

Device: none
Where can I buy PocketBook pro 903 in the UK?
chukwe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
merchants, where to buy