Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #91
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Everybody (almost) has unlimited use on the net anyway. So why would anybody want to start tor-renting? ....on the Kindle! I have not done it, but I am guessing u have kindle connected to a laptop?

Hacking does have limits (though moral not legal limits (which vary country to country) I cannot understand the morality of using it over 100MB per month when it is advertised as free I mean experimental Kindle Setting!

Last edited by peter12345; 08-22-2012 at 07:42 AM.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #92
mmthomas
mmthomas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Did the 50mb limit actually reset in August for the poster that had the limit reached in July? any notification?

Last edited by mmthomas; 09-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.
mmthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #93
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmthomas View Post
Did the 50mb limit actually reset in August for the poster that had the limit reached in July? any notification?
I'm the original poster, and yes, the 50MB limit did indeed reset at the beginning of the following month.

Interestingly, I got the same notification around the same time the second month (Aug. 23rd, I think it was) even though I used wi-fi as much as possible, turned off graphics, and tried to use 3G as infrequently as I could. So I'm feeling a bit 'whuh?' about that. But again, there was a reset as of Sept. 1st.

I'm trying to cut back further so that I see no notification AT ALL this month... we'll see how that goes, I guess.

I do wish Amazon had a webpage where you could look up your daily usage stats and/or MBs-of-usage-to-date for the current month. I'd really like to know just where I'm going wrong!
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #94
niko judo
niko judo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Una semana mas

Today is my last byte out, I'll wait a week to read my morning news.
Among many misfortunes I can only say that this also activates the Spanish Wikipedia, Thanks Amazon
Greetings from Peru.

Hoy se acabo mi ultimo byte, esperare una semana para leer mis noticias matutinas .
Entre tantas desgracias solo puedo decir que también esta activa la wikipedia en español, gracias Amazon
saludos desde Perú.
niko judo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #95
aarons510
aarons510 began at the beginning.

Device: k3
Post Amazon should limit amount, not kind, of 3G usage

Aside from the unlimited free 3G usage for whatever services Amazon wishes to include in it (shopping on Amazon, Wikipedia access?), Amazon should not be concerned with what the user does with 3G, but only with how much bandwidth is used. Otherwise, Amazon is minding my business, not its own.
aarons510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #96
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Well, I guess you can say "thank you" to people such as this guy.
I have heard of it being done.

I guess if you can tie a regular device into your KB Kindle, then you will be bypassing the very slow laborious navigation button and get to use a lot more data. You get a mouse and a nice keyboard.

I like the description one lady gave about using her KB Kindle for email. She said it was like using "etch a sketch."
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #97
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I bought my second Kindle 3 the 3G variety so I can use it for emails and online banking when traveling oversees.

50 MB is cutting it too close. I have no choice but turn off the images and hope for the best. A 500 MB limit would have been more proper in my opinion.
I used mine the same way, but almost exclusively for email. A little Banking by phone. WiFi some places is suspect for availability, service and illegal interception of traffic. (And yeah I know about the super security protocols but I am suspicious and careful with my money.)

That little Kindle was nice.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 AM   #98
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Even if they did promise "lifetime free 3G", how have they broken that promise? It is still 3G and it is still free.
Good point. I didn't see "unlimited" anywhere.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #99
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
And "unlimited 3G" could mean that it is not limited as to WHERE it can go on the web. It does not necessarily mean "unlimited download bandwidth". Even some cellphone companies that DO advertised "unlimited downloads" still impose a (hidden) data cap, although it is a lot higher than 50MB.
Yeah, the cell service providers that are abiding by that "unlimited" in their contracts are slowing down the service when you reach some limit.

Likewise, some are not allowing you to get a subsidized phone.
You got unlimited for a set price, fine. You need a new iPhone5, that will be $650 or so.

And no we aren't returning your calls.
You want to port your number somewhere else, fine, we can help you real quick with that.

Last edited by SeaKing; 10-27-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #100
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon should've addressed the 50MB cap in their response to eliminate the confusion.

I hate half answers.
Amazon is waffling around and making sure they don't make a statement that they can be held to.

I will give you a simple way for Amazon to cut out the tethering itself if they desire. They know who each person is that is using the 3G.
All they have to do is compile a list of suspicious users based on bandwidth.
Use a computer to see what the fastest rates of data are over each hour and then determine whether it is humanly possible for someone (a few well coordinated and quick test subjects) to navigate on the KB Kindle by hand that fast. I am sure they did that when they originally came up with the idea of free 3G service.

Most people aren't going to use the Kindle for browsing that much anyway, and others that might use it on occasion like myself will try very hard to keep the bandwidth down in order to speed up the process.

I don't think you can download stuff except Amazon stuff, and movies don't work, so I don't know what is being downloaded that would cause a problem unless they are just testing it for bragging rights. "Look what I did."
Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #101
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I don't think you can download stuff except Amazon stuff, and movies don't work, so I don't know what is being downloaded that would cause a problem unless they are just testing it for bragging rights. "Look what I did."
With a little "http proxy" hacking you can download anything including torrents and streaming movies. You can make anything look like a normal web page if you wrap the packets in HTTP headers. But just because something is technically possible does not make it a wise thing to do, which would put free 3G in jeopardy for everybody. If we were to provide tools or details, a "tragedy of the commons" would surely follow.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #102
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
-snip-
With the built in web browser you can download anything in mobi or txt format.

So books from Gutenberg.org, Smashwords.com, BaenEbooks.com and many small press sites.

If you have or create a site that generates a 1-3 MB free newpaper or blog summary every day that's the 50 MB per month gone at once.

"A version of today's Guardian or Observer for the Kindle"
http://mythic-beasts.com/~mark/rando...an-for-kindle/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #103
toki45
toki45 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g keyboard
Hi everybody. I just buy the kindle 3g keyboard, I am from Mexico, but the kindle is registered with an US direction and is the US version (a friend pass it to México). So I read all the thread, and I understand that the bandwidth is now limited to 50 mb, but when you reach this limit, you can still browsing amazon sites and the Wikipedia. My question is, if I only use the Wikipedia and avoid any other sites, the "data counter" still at 0 mb?, so i can reserve the bandwidth for emergencys. Or the data counter don't stop and I can reach the 50 limit, but I can still browsing amazon sites and the Wikipedia? And about Wikipedia : its allowed also the Spanish Wikipedia or just only English?Thanks
toki45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #104
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I just Googled to find out more about this. Several sources report that as of July 1st Kindle Keyboard 3G web browsing is limited to 50 MB per month in some areas outside the United States. The only information I could find on Amazon was this, from Using Kindle Keyboard if You Live Outside the United States:
I just noticed the wording has changed now, on Amazon's website:

Quote:
The experimental Web Browser is not available for some customers outside of the United States.
who know who these "some customers" are!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 11-01-2013 at 07:02 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #105
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
I just noticed the wording has changed now, on Amazon's website:

who know who these "some customers" are!
That wording's always been there because customers in many countries, including some of the key European ones don't have the free (slow) web access on the Kindle Keyboard devices, and it has something to do with no agreements in place with mobile providers in those area (the cost for Amazon would be too high).

See http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/p/co...3g-access.html

The Amazon-UK table of countries with the free-web access was pasted from Amazon UK and can change (but is currently up to date), and there's a link there to go to the actual-source UK page to doublecheck, and it's still a match.

Wording there says,
"You can browse other websites globally via a Wi-Fi connection. Access to other websites while travelling abroad is available via a 3G connection in the 61 countries listed below."
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote