Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #346
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
(how many of them are happy with less than perfect screens is far from certain though!):
Heh, yes! I admit that due to my unfortunate experiences with various PW's that is always my first thought.

I think part of how happy someone is with their PW is often going to come down to how color sensitive one is. I have seen people on here and other forums post photos of their PW's and say the screen is perfect and they're happy with it, but when I look at the pics of their perfect PW's I see tons of colors. It surprises me that they see it as perfect. It's great for them that they do, but for me it wouldn't be the case and I would be unhappy with the device.

Therefore, while I agree most people seem to be happy with their PW in the Amazon ratings, the ratings hold little value to me personally because of this.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #347
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Visual hallucinations are, I believe, a symptom of schizophrenia. I've never met a schizophrenic who was certain that everyone else was crazy.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #348
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Heh, yes! I admit that due to my unfortunate experiences with various PW's that is always my first thought.

I think part of how happy someone is with their PW is often going to come down to how color sensitive one is. I have seen people on here and other forums post photos of their PW's and say the screen is perfect and they're happy with it, but when I look at the pics of their perfect PW's I see tons of colors. It surprises me that they see it as perfect. It's great for them that they do, but for me it wouldn't be the case and I would be unhappy with the device.

Therefore, while I agree most people seem to be happy with their PW in the Amazon ratings, the ratings hold little value to me personally because of this.

I didn't even know I was more color sensitive than others until I looked at my first Paperwhites, so at least something good came out of the returns merry-go-round: I learned something about myself.
I actually wish I were less color sensitive, as the color blotches on my PW have gotten more pronounced in the past two months.

Last edited by xendula; 02-09-2013 at 10:44 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #349
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Visual hallucinations are, I believe, a symptom of schizophrenia. I've never met a schizophrenic who was certain that everyone else was crazy.
Are you implying that any of us here are schizophrenic?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #350
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post

I didn't even know I was more color sensitive than others until I looked at my first Paperwhites, so at least something good came out of the returns merry-go-round: I learned something about myself. I wish I were less color senitive, as the color blotches on my PW have gotten more pronounced in the past two months.
That's a shame. It happened with the PW I just sent back too, I think I told you that. I'm hoping because my current PW is mostly color hue free, it'll stay that way. I guess I'll see.
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #351
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I am find I am light sensitive to the PW. I've been trying to read with the wrong settings causing my left eye to burn after 30 minutes of reading. Last night I got my Kindle Fire out and read on it for 30 minutes and it went away but I miss my PW. I then set the PW brightness close to my reading brightness on the Kindle Fire. No more eye strain and read for a couple hours without needing drops. So reading 5-3 in the dark it what is causing me to have use drops. 10-8 it goes away. Same with day reading was reading at 10 went back to 8 and no more eye strain.

So those of you who are color sensitive it could be worse. I've never had this problem on any other Kindle including the Kindle Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #352
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

That's interesting, Blossom. It's good that there is a setting you've found where you can read and not get the burning. I don't seem to be light sensitive at all. I can read on pretty much anything for long periods, dimly lit or brightly lit, and it never seems to bother me. I'm fortunate in that way.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #353
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
I think a lot of the reactions to the PW, positive and negative alike, come down to a personal feeling with the device. Which may be obvious, but most tech I know of is objectively good or bad when it comes to the hardware. People will certainly use tech in a variety of ways, so there will be all sorts of variance depending on how someone uses their tech, but generally the hardware is objectively good or bad.

But with the PW, I think people can find both good and bad, and it just comes down to what they're willing to accept. Like for me, if I shoot the brightness way up, I see the uneven colors and it hampers my reading. But after tinkering I've settled on a 3 brightness setting for all reading, and it's perfect in light rooms, dark rooms, outside, etc. Now I fully admit the screen looks bad at higher settings, but I also accept that at the 3 setting its better than any other kindle I've used. So where exactly does that fall in the spectrum of a "good" or "bad" model?

I'd be willing to bet a lot of other people who love their PW feel the same, in that they've just hit on a setting that works great for them. While others may not be as willing to forgive the defects at the higher light settings?
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #354
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I am find I am light sensitive to the PW. I've been trying to read with the wrong settings causing my left eye to burn after 30 minutes of reading. Last night I got my Kindle Fire out and read on it for 30 minutes and it went away but I miss my PW. I then set the PW brightness close to my reading brightness on the Kindle Fire. No more eye strain and read for a couple hours without needing drops. So reading 5-3 in the dark it what is causing me to have use drops. 10-8 it goes away. Same with day reading was reading at 10 went back to 8 and no more eye strain.

So those of you who are color sensitive it could be worse. I've never had this problem on any other Kindle including the Kindle Fire.
Since, when I read in bed, I do it in complete darkness and have the PW right in front of my face, I can only take around level 5.

Blossom, be honest, are you just trying to make us feel better because you have a perfect screen? Cause... it's not working ....
Old 02-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #355
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'm hoping because my current PW is mostly color hue free, it'll stay that way. I guess I'll see.
I've been using the one I kept for almost a month now, I think, and I haven't noticed more pronounced color hues at all. As I've said in the past, it still has hues, but they are so faint that I practically have to get out a magnifying glass to see them, so I never notice them. No change in intensity or I would have noticed, believe me. The first one I had got steadily more pink every day. By the time I sent it back, I'd have to say that 80% of the screen was quite pink. The other 20% was a lovely shade of green.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #356
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post

I'd be willing to bet a lot of other people who love their PW feel the same, in that they've just hit on a setting that works great for them. While others may not be as willing to forgive the defects at the higher light settings?
Thing is that all the Paperwhites I have received from Amazon had color blotches at the very low light settings as well, which are my settings of choice.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #357
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I've been using the one I kept for almost a month now, I think, and I haven't noticed more pronounced color hues at all. As I've said in the past, it still has hues, but they are so faint that I practically have to get out a magnifying glass to see them, so I never notice them. No change in intensity or I would have noticed, believe me. The first one I had got steadily more pink every day. By the time I sent it back, I'd have to say that 80% of the screen was quite pink. The other 20% was a lovely shade of green.
That's exactly what happened to my previous PW. When I first got it, it wasn't bad at all. In fact, I thought it was pretty good. Then slowly I started to notice it becoming more pink. So strange. Then when I received my latest PW and put it next to the previous one, it became even more apparent just how pink it was. I'm glad yours has stayed the same, so far mine has as well. Knock on wood.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #358
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

I too had to turn my PW up to 7-8 to avoid eyestrain. I do switch between the KFHD and the PW, still better than a reading light.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #359
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Thing is that all the Paperwhites I have received from Amazon had color blotches at the very low light settings as well, which are my settings of choice.
Most of mine have only had the colors at high settings. My current one looks perfect until I put the light up high. How is your sister's?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #360
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Since, when I read in bed, I do it in complete darkness and have the PW right in front of my face, I can only take around level 5.

Blossom, be honest, are you just trying to make us feel better because you have a perfect screen? Cause... it's not working ....
No I am just frustrated that I haven't been able to read for long periods of time like I can on my other Kindles. At first I blame the Cold I had, then my tired eyes but then last night it dawn on me it was the light on the Paperwhite after reading on my PW for 15 minutes and got eye strain switch to the KF and it went away. I use the Sepia theme on my KF with brightness at 0.8%. So I up the brightness on the PW to match and it really did help. Hubby was asleep already so it didn't bother him.

I also read in complete darkness so I thought 5 was good but now I know I need a little bit more to read with for long periods of time.

That said I believe one could be more color sensitive and I am light sensitive and there's probably not many who own a PW who has my problem.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote