Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #436
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrd View Post
Yay, collections manager works again for me! I've had my PW in airplane mode since it first killed my jailbreak, so I'm still at 5.3.0. Is there any reason I might want to let it update to 5.3.3 and then do the jailbreak again? Or should I just leave it in airplane mode, do you think?
If you update to 5.3.3 you will not be able to jailbreak it.

If you are on 5.3.1 (your 5.3.0 above is a typo) then first jailbreak it before doing the update.

The **Device** jailbreak will survive the 5.3.1 -> 5.3.3 update.
But parts of the jailbreak package will have to be re-installed after the jailbreak.

For hints, see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #437
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you update to 5.3.3 you will not be able to jailbreak it.

If you are on 5.3.1 (your 5.3.0 above is a typo) then first jailbreak it before doing the update.

The **Device** jailbreak will survive the 5.3.1 -> 5.3.3 update.
But parts of the jailbreak package will have to be re-installed after the jailbreak.

For hints, see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192
5.3.0 does not need to be a typo. The very first version was 5.2.0. The jailbreak for it (here) by NiLuJe was destroyed with 5.3.0 update, unless you installed the jailbreak bridge. Until ixtab made the new jailbreak, there was a time where you could not jailbreak 5.3.0 unless you went 5.2.0, jailbreak and jailbreak bridge, then let it update.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #438
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
5.3.0 does not need to be a typo. The very first version was 5.2.0. The jailbreak for it (here) by NiLuJe was destroyed with 5.3.0 update, unless you installed the jailbreak bridge. Until ixtab made the new jailbreak, there was a time where you could not jailbreak 5.3.0 unless you went 5.2.0, jailbreak and jailbreak bridge, then let it update.
Sorry, My Bad, I was getting the update numbers confused.
(And I wrote up the firmware <-> model list.)

But I wasn't 100% wrong - if the device updates to 5.3.3 it will not be possible to jailbreak it without reloading 5.3.1 (or earlier).

So the O.P.'s answer is: Jailbreak it **NOW** before any upgrade.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #439
engnrd
blargh
engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Sorry, My Bad, I was getting the update numbers confused.
(And I wrote up the firmware <-> model list.)

But I wasn't 100% wrong - if the device updates to 5.3.3 it will not be possible to jailbreak it without reloading 5.3.1 (or earlier).

So the O.P.'s answer is: Jailbreak it **NOW** before any upgrade.
Sorry, I thought it was obvious from my post that I had jailbroken it already to get collections manager working again. I've had it in airplane mode for months now, so I really am at 5.3.0. I was mostly asking if there were any good features in 5.3.3 that I would want. I should have just googled for a feature list. Sorry for the confusion.
engnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #440
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrd View Post
I was mostly asking if there were any good features in 5.3.3 that I would want. I should have just googled for a feature list. Sorry for the confusion.
AFAIK, there is nothing "new" feature wise with 5.3.3. It is mostly bug-fixes and improvements under the hood. You might personally never benefit from them, because they simply did or won't apply to your usage. But then they might affect you as you won't see them either. It seems that the step 5.3.0 -> 5.3.1 was bigger than the 5.3.1->5.3.3.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #441
expatiate
expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.expatiate shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: none
help with PW collections

Hi, I have followed the previous instructions, but am still unable to figure out how to use the collections manager on the paperwhite 5.3.3. i am able to create new collections, but how do i add books to them? Apologies for my ignorance and inability to understand the interface, and for the possible sheer stupidity of the question.
expatiate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #442
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch

IIRC the icons may have changed... (goes to look) but it should still be a decent guide.

Last edited by twobob; 02-21-2013 at 10:06 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #443
knc1
Going Viral

Very similar to the user button preference editor.

Of course, will do something about making the "move" and the "copy" buttons look different from each other - only the designer knows which one is which.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #444
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Expat, some hints
I too am stupid and it took me a while.
Get the name of the collection in one of the "folder" boxes
Get a tick by the book you want to put in it
Hit copy up, copy down, move up, move down as required
Copy will leave the book visible on the home page
Move will hide it from the home page
If it is hidden from the home page the title etc will look grey in the collections manager
You can put a collection inside a collection! That is why there are two panes (mostly why)
There are more options in the menu
To get the menu touch the three horizontal bars top right
Ditto to close the menu
That should get you started
I don't think you can break it, but don't make the collections manager invisible......
It is awesomely good when you get to know it, but there is a bit of a learning curve.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #445
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Also - as an aside... watch out for accidentally creating infinite recursion.

top guide by the way piper.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #446
khromosone
khromosone began at the beginning.

I'm getting an error.

'This device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item. Please contact the developer'

Just JB'd and installed this program.
khromosone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #447
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by khromosone View Post
I'm getting an error.

'This device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item. Please contact the developer'

Just JB'd and installed this program.
You need to install the developer keys and kindlet jailbreak.
See first post of this thread.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #448
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This wouldn't happen to be able to automatically add things to collections, by author, for instance, would it?
cubemike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #449
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubemike99 View Post
This wouldn't happen to be able to automatically add things to collections, by author, for instance, would it?
It depends on how you organize your books. It does have a cool create collections from folder structure. If your books are organizes in folders by author names that might be an option.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #450
wyvern6
wyvern6 began at the beginning.

Hi, I'm afraid I'm being particularly dense, so will someone please be patient with me and give me some advice,please??

I've just aquired a PW - (have used keyboard since day one) and want to transfer books from Calibre via collections manager.
I've done the jailbreak thing, done the kindlet thing, done the download certificates thing and also copied over the azw file from the Collections zip. I want to go through all my books on Calibre and set up new collections and transfer everything over clean and tidy, so I've done a tes tof 5 books in one category - the books appear on the PW, but no sign of the Collection manager collection, and the 'collection' tab in the PW is greyed out so has nothing in it.

What am I doing wrong???

I do still have a file kcol_kw_tweaks hanging around from the zip folders, but have no idea where to put it - does it go in calibre? If so how? or does it go in the PW, if so where?

Sorry to be so inept, hope you understand what I'm trying to say, and thanks for your help!
wyvern6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks