Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Qindle .. Qt port with PDF, DJVU, EPUB and CHM support

Qindle A Qt embedded port for Amazon Kindle

A project is aimed at porting a Qt embedded framework to Amazon Kindle DX, and porting other useful applications to this framework.

It contains a viewer that can open PDF, DJVU, EPUB and CHM files, which makes this framework somewhat useful :-)

Installation:
""""""""""""""
This version doesn't need installation and won't affect the system. Just follow these steps:
  1. Have usbNetwork installed.
  2. Download qindle package.
  3. Extract into Kindle's flash drive.
That's all.

Usage:
"""""""""
Qindle is started by executing `usbNetwork twice (the first time usbnetwork starts normally).
PHP Code:
;debugOn
`usbNetwork
`usbNetwork 
You can return to the original system by selecting File--Quit.
There is no need to explain how to operate.

Hint: Imagine you have a computer without mouse. Use shortcut and Tab key wisely.

Key Binding:
""""""""""""""""
Some keys on Kindle have new functions.
  • Vol- --> Tab
  • Vol+ --> shift-Tab
  • menu --> pop-up menu
  • back --> Esc
  • Aa --> Ctrl
  • SYM --> Windows key

Download:

""""""""""""""
http://code.google.com/p/qindle/downloads/list

References:
"""""""""""""""

http://the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic...&postorder=asc

http://duokan.com/viewthread.php?tid=601&extra=page%3D1
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Chumnutzly
Somnambulist
Chumnutzly began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505, Kindle 3 Graphite
Any plans on having this on the new K3? And firmware 2.5, that's the latest, right?
Chumnutzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
Love to see this work on the K3 when it arrives.
Keep up the good work :-)
G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Achiever
Getting Experience
Achiever began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Thumbs up Free your Kindle!

HALELUJA!

I'm really happy to hear about this and keep looking forward that it will be implemented in the new K3 !

Who is willing and have time to contact the developer of this project?

Maybe adding some more features and some privacy tweaks

I will, but not before the next weekend.

Free Kindle!

Last edited by Achiever; 08-15-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Achiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, that's amazing work. being able to read epub on kindle is going to open the device up a lot, particularly for people who don't live in the US / read english, and therefore can't / don't shop at amazon for books. bravo !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
meem
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

The Good:
1- You can install it in easy way: just copy extracted files on the root of Kindle storage.
2- Uninstallation is the same ease: just delete "local" folder and "usbnetwork" file from "usbnet" folder.
3- You will have a text editor, web browser. Vertual terminal (Command-line) and more.
4- Unicode filenames support.

The Bad:
1- It still slower than original framework.
2- Can not use [AA] and [SYM] keys, so you can't write symbols like "@, -, +, (, ) ..etc"
3- I run it by executing usbnetwork command from SSH/Telnet, it isn't work with me by above way (by Kindle search commands).
It uses an old version of USBNetwork hack which I don't know which one is it.

Qindle Source code (GPL 3.0) is available on SVN:
PHP Code:
svn checkout http://qindle.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ qindle-read-only 

Last edited by meem; 08-26-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
- I run it by executing usbnetwork command from SSH/Telnet, it isn't work with me by above way (by Kindle search commands).
You could use my hotkeys scripts in order to run it without using SSH/Telnet.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
meem

Good idea.
Can you explain how to do it ?

By the way, I was mean ;debugOn - `usbNetwork - `usbNetwork not worked with me to run Qindle.
I run it by execute /mnt/us/usbnet/usbnetwork from SSH.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I haven't looked at the install scripts, but if you already have the usbnetwork hack installed, that may explain why the `usbNetwork way is 'broken'.

(if the installer doesn't overwrite usbnet symlink in /test/bin).

Anyway, you couldn't have *both* the usbnet symlink & the qindle symlink.

And even with a tweaked usbnet symlink, how could we tell when the user wants to toggle the usbnet hack, or start the qindle framework?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-24-2010 at 10:18 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
meem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(if the installer doesn't overwrite the /test/bin symlink)....
As you can see, The instruction is type `usbNetwork twice.
And there no installer for Qindle to overwrite anything, just extract files and run.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Okay, then it relies on the usbnetwork symlink, that explains it. (And also explains the dependency on the usbnetwork hack).

Which... doesn't work with my usbnet packages, since I moved the usbnetwork script, so the tweaked usbnetwork script installed by qindle isn't ever called.

Quick 'n dirty patch to usbnet/bin/usbnetwork from my package to emulate the same behaviour (double `usbNetwork to start qindle, with the only difference being that qindle will be started with the Kindle in USB MS mode, not Eth over USB. if you want to start qindle on the first `usbNetwork, with the Kindle in Eth over USB mode, move the code to the other branch of the if block).

Note that, IMHO, it's still far cleaner to use the hotkeys hack for this purpose. Like I said, we don't have any way to know if the user wants to only toggle usbnetwork or start qindle... So, right now, with this patch, we do both when either toggling to USB MS or Eth over USB, which isn't all that great...
Attached Files
File Type: txt usbnet-vN-qindle.patch.txt (580 Bytes, 562 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-24-2010 at 10:27 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
meem

Patching will take a time.
So I manually added to usbnet/bin/usbnetwork file:
PHP Code:
    # Start qindle

/bin/sh /mnt/us/local/bin/qindle.sh 
After:
PHP Code:
     /sbin/start-stop-daemon --${SSH_PID} -${REAL_SSH_DAEMON} -
Then I typed in search box:
Quote:
;debugOn
`usbNetwork
`usbNetwork
It worked ! .. Thank you.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
So, what I'd really like to know is the minimum I have to do to have epub and chm support on my K2 (US). Anyone just done that?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
This works OK on a rooted K3 except some of the key bindings don't seem to work, like Vol buttons which makes it a bit difficult without the tab key.
I didn't copy the usbnetwork file across, just the local files executed with /bin/sh /mnt/us/local/bin/qindle.sh
Haven't tried an epub but the viewer was good for a pdf.
Now to get the keys remapped :-)
G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
mubertmumphrey
mubertmumphrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am very excited to try this out!

And here I was thinking we'd need to reverse-engineer the display API. Am I misunderstanding, or does this Qt conversion mean we can already output to the display? If so, then holy crap, let's make a replacement for the standard Home dashboard right away so we can easily access homebrew apps.

Does anyone know of any existing open-source dashboard apps for embedded devices, especially anything using Qt?
mubertmumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chm, djvu, epub, qindle, qt port