Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega34 View Post
When I pull up the menu, I only get the location, which is always somewhere in the thousands. How do I get normal page numbers to appear?
The page number should be displayed on the bottom middle, between the location on the left and the percentage on the right. (with the time left in the chapter right above the location, and the time left in book right above the percentage). I know not all of the books have page information, but there shouldn't be that many left without it.

I also use Calibre, but the only plugin I have that deals with pages is "Page Count" which estimates the number of pages and puts the number in a custom column in Calibre.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Also, wirelessly sending library books to your kindle. It takes me under one minute from the time I check out a library book to the time I start reading it on my kindle.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
In a recent article in the New York Times published over the XMas holiday Amazon had this to say about the recent law suit by the US Department of Justice of several book publishers: "After the suit was filed, Amazon said it looked forward to lowering prices." A willingness on the part of Amazon to lower book prices and to under cut their competition's prices. I have also found that amazon has one of the largest collection of free literature on the planet. With Amazon I am able to squeeze the long terms costs of ebook reading.
Amazon has a nice store for sure but you do not necessarily need a Kindle to read ebooks purchased from Amazon. (I'm not saying that the KINDLE is a bad device ... just that it is not required in order to access the Amazon content).
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazu View Post
Then I bought a Kindle Keyboard, the screen was broken after 11 months when I was in Nepal. Got a new one shipped to Hong Kong immediately, free of charge.
That one exactly!

I bought my Kindle Keyboard, was really happy with it ... and broke it after 3 weeks by putting it into my bag together with iPad and iPod :-(

Amazon sent me a new one. From what I hear, Sony and others, who are not counting on you spending $$$ on books, are more reluctant to do that.

Granted, I would have liked a general warning about the fragility of any eInk screen. Then I most likely would not have broken mine. (Most likely companies selling eInk devices do not want to advertise that in order not to frighten buyers). But having it replaced is a good second option.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What in the world ar you guys doing with your ereaders?

My original K3 was replaced because they had a batch with a known problem where the letters & numbers rubbed off. As the CSR said "That's not supposed to happen." It was replaced free of charge with a refurbished unit. That's the one I've just gifted to my mom since receiving my Paperwhite this Christmas.

My husband's K3 was replaced, because his accidentally slid of the roof of the car. He was juggling too many things, set it too close to the edge and it slid off, breaking the corner and damaging the screen. His replacement, also free of charge, was actually brand new.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #21
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What in the world ar you guys doing with your ereaders?
Nyssa, as I mentioned, I put it into my backpack between my iPad and my iPod - in a "Timbuk2" padded sleeve.

When I took it out again 30 minutes later, the screen was broken. I had NOT thrown, dropped, folded, spindled or otherwise mutilated the bag. I had simply taken it out of the house to the beach. Obviously the Kindle got bent a little bit and that cracked the substrate.

So I shudder whenever I see that Amazon advertisement with the lovely lady putting the Kindle into the back pocket of her tight jeans. Optically pleasing, certainly, but IMO not the safest way to treat any eInk device.

Best regards,
Andy
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict

It is surprising that it would crack while in a sleeve..something must have shifted in transit.

I can't imagine walking around with a "naked" ereader (or tablet for that matter).

I had my Paperwhite for about 3 days before my case arrived so I kept it in a draw when I wasn't reading.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #23
Andy_T
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
It is surprising that it would crack while in a sleeve..something must have shifted in transit.
The sleeve seems to have nice padding against impact damage ... but it has no protection at all against bending. I guess that is what happened. Now I have a nice, sturdy "book cover" type of cover that is always on my Kindle Keyboard.

If I am not mistaken, I also guess that the newer Kindles (Touch, 4 NT and Paperwhite) are a little "thicker" than the Keyboard, possibly to remove the risk of bend damage to it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
The sleeve seems to have nice padding against impact damage ... but it has no protection at all against bending. I guess that is what happened. Now I have a nice, sturdy "book cover" type of cover that is always on my Kindle Keyboard.

If I am not mistaken, I also guess that the newer Kindles (Touch, 4 NT and Paperwhite) are a little "thicker" than the Keyboard, possibly to remove the risk of bend damage to it.
For the Paperwhite, not by much. I'm not sure about the K4NT (I can't find my daughter's to compare).
Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I had my Paperwhite for about 3 days before my case arrived so I kept it in a draw when I wasn't reading.
Both times I got new Kindles (Kindle 4 and the Fire HD) I left them in their original boxes, inside the plastic sleeves, whenever I wasn't using them until my covers arrived. I'm always afraid I'll damage them without some kind of protection.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote