Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Is this a bad battery or what?

My PRS-600 has started crashing. Yesterday and again today, the screen froze. I could not power down and even the reset button did nothing. I plugged it into the USB port on my notebook and, in 5 minutes, it indicated a USB connection and the Sony Reader Library opened. It took the full 5 minutes. That behavior is exactly what the user manual says about the first time the reader is plugged in. It implies that, if the battery is completely dead, it will take a while before the reader will start to function.

On my reader, the battery charge indicator is down only one bar when this happens and I get no warning. It just freezes. The unit is only a few months old and is still well within warranty. I'm inclined to visit the Sony store in my area and talk to them about this. Does anyone know if they will help or will they just refer me to customer service? The behaviour I'm seeing is either a battery that goes dead way before the charge circuits know about it or the charge circuits themselves are faulty and think the battery is dead when it isn't. Keep in mind though, that when it crashes the screen still indicates 3 bars of charge.

Can anyone help with this? I read in bed before going to sleep and don't want to put the reader down early or get up to plug it into my notebook and wait 5 minutes to start reading again. Besides, I have only gotten a few hundred page turns when this happens.

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I'm not by any means a knowledgeable person on these. But I didn't start locking or crashing my 300 until I loaded some large books, or converting PDF's to a smaller format. Then when I did font sizing I would lock/crash. If you are seeing this after attempting anything maybe wiping the mem might help. Mine is new as well FWIW.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest that you get a PSP charger. USB charging often seems to be unreliable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Harry, I understand that USB charging may be unreliable, but why would the screen charge indicator indicate 75% charge remaining? If USB charging didn't fully charge the battery, that should be indicated by a faster than normal drop though the charge remaining bars and, finally, give you a low battery warning. If the battery charge indicator can give a false indication, then what good is it? With Ni-Cad batteries, as in my Norelco shaver, discharge and charge is indicated using an internal timer which depends on the known rate of charge or discharge to the internal batteries. That system works on batteries that are in spec. However, as the batteries reach end of life, the indicator doesn't work properly. With Li-ion batteries, the charge indicator should not depend on a timer, but on the actual charge state of the batteries. I've seen this on notebook computers where you get a percent charge remaining. As the battery gets weaker, the charge remaining indication decreases more rapidly and gives a good indication of the true state of the battery. Doesn't the Sony reader work that way?

Tronin, in my case, I am reading a large book - 1350 pages as shown on the Sony. I am also reading large font so that I can see it better in dim light. However, when it crashes, I'm not doing anything other than reading. When I go to turn the page, it is frozen. Even so, why wouldn't the reset button work and why does it take 5 minutes (I've timed it) plugged into a USB port to recover?

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The battery charge meter can definitely be very "flaky". It generally takes few complete full charge / full discharge cycles for it to correctly calibrate itself.

What I find on my own 600 is that very often USB charging will stop (the charge light goes off), but if I then plug in my PSP charger, it will carry on charging for a good while longer. Many people here have found USB charging to be just plain unreliable.

Don't bother with the "official" Sony charger - any PSP charger works fine with the Reader.
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
+1 to the PSP charger. Be sure and get the one that uses the "barrel" connection, and not the USB one. Using a real charger, instead of relying on the USB/laptop one, seems to cure most battery issues.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
tnronin
Zealot

Dave, I got nuthin'.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
tnronin
Zealot

I've got this one coming in. Probably a slow boat..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 01-24-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
A Nonny Mouse
Connoisseur
A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Can anyone help with this? I read in bed before going to sleep and don't want to put the reader down early or get up to plug it into my notebook and wait 5 minutes to start reading again. Besides, I have only gotten a few hundred page turns when this happens.

Dave W
It takes at least 4 hours to fully charge the reader from an active computer via USB.

Any generic PSP charger will work connected to the round barrel, with the added advantage that you can still read whilst it is charging.

Do a search on the forum for PSP charger there is loads of information.
A Nonny Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nonny Mouse View Post
Any generic PSP charger will work connected to the round barrel, with the added advantage that you can still read whilst it is charging.
Plus, there's the benefit that it charges a lot more quickly than it does with USB.