Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
Maerose
Maerose began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Question PRS600 Problems - Please help!

I got a 600 yesterday from Waterstones. I had already downloaded Calibre and had fun putting on some free books from here and Baen.

As I had a giftcard from Waterstones I thought I would buy myself a few books from their website which I did (3 of them). I had to download Adobe Digital Editions first and then I used Calibre to 'find' them from the ADE Library. The books were retrieved by Calibre and 'sent' to my 600.

The problem is they are 'page protected'! I can read them on ADE but not on Calibre or my 600.

So after reading the instructions on Waterstones and ADE website I thought I had better install the Sony ebook Library software and transfer the books using that. Unfortunately the software won't load properly saying that it has stopped working every time I try and open it! I've tried installing the update from the Sony support site and it still won't work!

So I'm stuck, I can't use the sony software and the drm is stopping me using Calibre.

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Sorry it's so long - lots of frustration!!!

Maerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need to have the Sony eBook Library software installed before you can authorise the Reader in ADE, so I'm afraid that you're really going to have to get that issue sorted out.

Once you do have it installed and working, connect the Sony Reader to your PC, and then open ADE. It should ask you if you want to authorise your Reader. Say "Yes". After that, transfer your book from ADE to the Reader, using ADE.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Maerose

Thanks Harry. How do I do this? Can I delete ADE from my computer and then re-install it? Will that remove the authorisation?

Sorry not very good at this!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Maerose

Well, it looks like i've managed to get the ADE to see my 600 and there is now a bookshelf in ADE called prs-600 which has all the books currently installed on my 600 in.

Now the 600 is telling me not to disconnect it from my PC. I presume it's sychronising (like an iPod does) but it's taking a very long time! Is this right?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'll get the "do not disconnect" whenever the Reader is connected to either ADE or the Sony eBook Library. You need to click the "Eject" button; in the EBL software, that's the triangle in a circle to the right of the name "Reader" in the left-hand pane.
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Maerose

Unfortunately my EBL software still won't load. I disconnected my 600 even though it said not to and the books are now readable so that's good.

Any ideas why the EBL won't work?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No idea, sorry. Works fine for me.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerose View Post
Unfortunately my EBL software still won't load. I disconnected my 600 even though it said not to and the books are now readable so that's good.

Any ideas why the EBL won't work?
I had similar issues with EBL when the internal library of my reader was corrupted / incomplete, as a result of modifying the contents without EBL. What fixed it for me was deleting everything of the internal drive (and removing the SD card from the reader) using Explorer, then connecting it, firing up EBL and re-transfer my books.

Do at your own risk though, this will remove any annotations etc you might have made and I have no idea how it will affect DRM'ed books.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote