Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
Severe case of battery drain after 1.7

sorry if it's a double post , but as far as i have read , nobody mentioned this behaviour:
after upgrading , i seem to have been encountering an old problem with increased frequency : after a seemingly full charge , which is over 3 hours with the battery icon on device shows fully charged state , i disconnect , mind you , i don't do anything , it's my macbook that feeds the device , so i just disconnect it( i never answer that question on DR , that says do you want the device to be used as a storage of something to that effect ) . and i happen to not be able to use the device for a couple of days ( uber busy , i know ) and then , bam , there is not an iota of energy in the DR , not even to boot. it takes 10 minutes in charge , just to turn the red light into green , essentially enabling the DR to boot.
any suggestions?
i am sick of it , i might as well use some sort of charger , i just am worried , any unofficial wall charger might hurt the battery.
cheers
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
Smile

KingDani,

I don't believe that you have a serious problem, but I think you really need to answer the DR’s question; the DR will not charge if it thinks it is hooked to the computer for file management.

As far as batteries are concerned, I would worry more about the toll you’re taking on your MacBook’s battery. You are essentially charging a battery (at about 70% efficiency) to charge a battery (at about 70% efficiency); you are losing about 60% of the energy you’re paying for, and cycling your MacBook battery to death.

The common problem related to USB chargers is that some of them will not charge some devices. The circuitry in the DR will not accept a wrong voltage, protecting your battery. If you have a USB charger, use it. If you buy one that doesn’t work, return it.

If you use a wall charger, your DR will not ask any questions.

Good luck,
Kent Walters
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
KingDani
Zealot

oh , you think the energy efficiency and charge cycle for macbook is true , even if it's constantly have the power plug in it?
and you think if i answer no , then this problem would go away ?because this morning i have used it for 10 minutes and it showed that it has indeed been successfully charged to 100% , without having to answer anything.
anyway many thanks mate for this info.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
jjgonche
jjgonche began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
I think that it's the well known "red light" problem. Check this threat:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55426
jjgonche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Kent,
I may miss-understand your reply but, the DR will charge and allow access to files if you answer yes, if you answer no, it just charges.

One of the problems is that not all usb outputs on all PCs, laptops etc are equal. You may find that the rear ports have the 500mA and the front only 100mA or vice-versa others may have 500mA throughout. Our desktops in the office for instance will only allow the full 500mA from certain ports, which can be a right royal pain. Mind you that may also be windows controlling its output as most of my ports (6 in the office) have something connected. You can tell what the device is asking for and what the port is capable of giving from the control panel and one of the utilities, I'm on my Mac just now so I can't remember which. Similarly on the Mac, just look in the System Profiler

Wrt wall chargers, provided the output is 500mA or greater, the DR should be okay.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Kent Walters
Connoisseur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Kent,
I may miss-understand your reply but, the DR will charge and allow access to files if you answer yes, if you answer no, it just charges.
No, I’m sure I was wrong about that; I always answer message screens, and I don’t use my Mac for charging anything--Sometimes the Mac doesn’t charge while it’s sleeping, and sometimes devices connected to hubs, including the keyboard, spontainously disconnect (a problem with static electricity and the USB shield ground, I suspect).

Quote:
One of the problems is that not all usb outputs on all PCs, laptops etc are equal...

Wrt wall chargers, provided the output is 500mA or greater, the DR should be okay.
To the list of usb outputs on PCs and laptops can be added hubs and wall chargers--they have all given me problems--and some adequately powered wall chargers won’t work with some devices because they lack the circuitry the device requires (not a problem with the DR). Some good stuff about USB chargers can be found at instructables.com. (I made my ‘best one’ myself, from a 12 v. 2 amp transformer feeding 1 Firewire and 2 USB ports--it always works.)

It was my turn to jump the gun; I was just trying to get KingDani up and running--sorry.

Kent
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I don't think it's necessarily mA that is the problem with some of them. There are some cheap USB wall chargers that don't put out the right V either. That's where you can get into trouble.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Walters View Post
I don't believe that you have a serious problem, but I think you really need to answer the DR’s question; the DR will not charge if it thinks it is hooked to the computer for file management.
I don't believe that's true.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
KingDani
Zealot

i must agree with Shaggy on Voltage issue, some crappy adapters might just burn the battery without you knowing , until it's too late.

but regarding the mac profiler , what is it?and where can i find it?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 AM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
In the utilities Folder and its called System Profiler.

H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Kent Walters
Connoisseur

KingDani,

The battery in the DR has a battery protection circuit on it, and the battery charging circuitry in the DR will not accept, or pass, a bad voltage. The cases of battery explosions reported in the news were related to defective batteries, or, in some instances of the wrong type of charger being used. Your DR has the right type of charger built-in, and if your battery were defective there would be nothing you could do, other than to try to detect unusual heat or swelling.

If you try a USB charger that won't work, try another; they won't hurt your battery.

Kent Walters
Old 11-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

It won't hurt the battery, but there will be some other "weird" behavior from the device if you're using a USB wall charger that it doesn't like.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 AM   #13
KingDani
Zealot

thank you all guys, it's been 10 days , and i have no significant drain issues , other than 10% per day loss , which i gather is normal for DR
and i have no idea what did i do , that made it behave this way
Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I'm just curious: is it safe to always keep the battery charged constantly? Or should I let it discharge completely before recharging? Is there a limited number of recharges?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #15
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Every kind of battery has a limited number of recharches. With time the capacity of a battery decreases.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote