Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
tudou331100
Enthusiast
tudou331100 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad V1, palm treo 650
Question How to make iliad into a SSH server and connect with iLiad

I download the unbrickableinst,dropbear,and network-switcher and installed in

iLiad.

and I have putty and Winscp in my computer ,what esle shall I do to connect iliad and replace the battery files into jharker's iliadpowermanagement
tudou331100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
If I remember well you can upzip dropbear somewhere on your memory card (for example in 'documents'). Then go to documents via the Iliad menu: there should be 'start dropbear wireless' and 'start dropbear LAN' somewhere...

Once dropbear (= sshd) is running, you need the ip address to connect to it. Your router or access point might tell you this.

Best think is to install mrxvt on the Iliad: it is a small terminal window where you can enter commands. Search the forum for downloads and explanation. Look for a recent version (I think I have version 4) You can see your IP by typing 'ifconfig'. You can test if the network is ok from a pc with the command 'ping your.ip.address.here'

Good luck!
PS: be careful when changing system things!!! Be sure that you understand how to reflash (and have the required files) before doing wild things...
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
tudou331100
Enthusiast

Thank you for your infromation and reminding,it very helpful

tudou331100
Old 01-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #4
tudou331100
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
You can see your IP by typing 'ifconfig'. You can test if the network is ok from a pc with the command 'ping your.ip.address.here'
I download mrxvt and do as you said typing ifconfig and get the IP of my iliad,
and ping ***.*.*.* and the network is ok.

but when I tried to connect iliad with PUTTY, It's said the connection refused
Old 01-24-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Hello tudou331100,

I think that ssh may need the account to have a password. This might be the last step to make it working :-)

- Open mrxvt
- type the command: passwd
- enter the password you want twice (and write it down!)

Try putty again with user 'root' and your password

Good luck!

PS: When it works, you could help the Iliad community by writing down the steps you had to do into the wiki... https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ilia...cting_to_iLiad
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
I may be wrong, but I believe that if you've just installed 'unbrickable', the default password for root is 'rootme'.

You'll have to reboot your iLiad before attempting to log in, in order to start up the ssh server.

Also, make sure you're using PUTTY in SSH mode, not simple telnet mode. My usual way for connecting to the iLiad is:
Code:
$ ssh root@192.168.1.102
root@192.168.1.102's password: rootme
(Obviously I have changed my password to something else.)

If you can successfully ping the iLiad then this should work...

Last edited by jharker; 01-24-2009 at 06:28 PM.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 AM   #7
hansel
JSR FFD2

deleted [double submit]
Old 01-25-2009, 03:50 AM   #8
hansel
JSR FFD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe that if you've just installed 'unbrickable', the default password for root is 'rootme'.
Thanks for the correction... I overlooked that tudou331100 had installed 'unbrickable', which sets teh root password, and activates dropbear when booting. Personally I just installed dropbear, and had to set the password myself...
Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
tudou331100
Enthusiast

Thank you , hansel, but it doesn't work

Last edited by tudou331100; 01-26-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Okay, I don't have much time these days, but let's take this from the top. I'm a sucker for helping people out.

Tudou, if you give me the basics I'll see if I can give you a checklist of steps. I assume you're running Windows, right? Here's what else I need:
  1. What is your home network like?
    • Wired or wireless?
    • If wireless, what's the SSID, and does it have security (yes/no?).
    • Do you have an ethernet cable you can use to hook the iLiad up to the router?
  2. How do you normally put files on the iLiad? (SD card, copy them directly to the internal memory, etc...)
With this information I should be able to help you out... we'll get you up and running yet!

Also, I have improved power management software that I'll post here pretty soon. It's based on powerMgr so it's much, much better than my current setup. Stay tuned!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #11
tudou331100
Enthusiast

Many thanks for jharker and hansel's reply

It is Chinese New Year so I haven't been here for a while

well,
1.I am running windows,
2.The network in my home is wired and I have a "CAT-5 ethernet cable" which I used to download the developer's package into my iLiad before,I guess there are many different kinds of ethernet cable. I am not sure I got the right cable.
3.I tried to reboot my iLiad after install unbrickable and dropbear, but the light of my iLiad
keep shinning after I reboot the iLiad
4.I usally copy the software into the SD card

I guess I did something wrong when I install the unbrickble and dropbear, because another iLiad user in Beijing who is about to change battery installed your powermanagement successfully, or maybe the cable I use is uncorrect.

Any way, thank you for your time. Don't worry,reply whenever you've got time.

Last edited by tudou331100; 01-29-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
jharker
Developer

Hi, tudou!

Your setup looks pretty good to me. A couple of notes on what you said:

2) That's the right ethernet cable. If you have used it to download the developer's package (or anything else) successfully then you know it's working properly.

3) The light on the iLiad is controlled by a piece of software, and sometimes it stays on after it should have turned off. This is a minor bug. Can you use your iLiad after it boots up? If you press buttons and things happen, if you can open documents and stuff, then you shouldn't worry about it. The light should turn off after you press any button.

4) That should work fine.

Looking back at your earlier posts, I think I may see some possible problems:
  • I don't know what network-switcher does, but I don't use it myself. It might be conflicting with other things. Anyway, you don't need it.
  • Did you install unbrickable AND dropbear as separate packages? You only need unbrickable. It includes dropbear.
So, here's what I recommend:
  1. First, uninstall EVERYTHING you've installed before. If you're missing the uninstall files, that's okay. Try to uninstall everything you can.
  2. Now unzip this file: ifcheck.zip. It contains ifcheck.sh, an easy script for running ifconfig. Put ifcheck.sh on your SD card.
  3. Once that is done, re-install Unbrickable using this version.
    • Unzip the file to get the folder called 'unbrickableinst'.
    • Copy the folder onto your SD card.
    • On the iLiad, find where you put it and run the program "Install Unbrickable iLiad".
  4. Plug your iLiad into your network with the ethernet cable.
  5. Reboot your iLiad.
  6. After the iLiad boots, go to your SD card and find the script ifcheck.sh that you put there earlier.
  7. Run ifcheck.sh.
  8. After it runs you should see a new file called ifstatus.txt.
  9. Open ifstatus.txt and look for the entry for "eth0" and find the IP address. If there is no entry eth0, then there's a problem and you should stop here and post the contents of ifstatus.txt.
  10. If everything is good, you now have the IP address of the iLiad.
  11. Now run PuTTY. Use the following settings:
    • Session->Host Name (or IP address) : Input the iLiad's IP address from ifstatus.txt.
    • Session->Connection Type : Should be SSH.
    • Session->Port : Should be 22.
    • Connection->Data->Login Details->Auto-login Username : Enter 'root' (without the quotes).
  12. Click "Open" to connect to the iLiad.
  13. If everything is working correctly you should be asked for a password. Enter 'rootme' (without quotes) and it should log you on.
If any of these steps doesn't work, or you don't get the expected result, please post and say what didn't work and give any information you can from the steps before that.

Don't worry, we'll get this working eventually! Good luck!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
tudou331100
Enthusiast

Thank you Jharker

I runned ifcheck.sh but I did not get ifcheck.txt

so I run mrxvt and type ifconfig and got the ip of my iLiad

I set PuTTY as you mentioned but when I am about to type the password rootme

PuTTY had no reaction, I mean I couldn't type anything
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	未命名.jpg
Views:	1181
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	22291  

Last edited by tudou331100; 01-30-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Did you try to type password and press Enter? Generally, the password won't show on the screen.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #15
tudou331100
Enthusiast

I made it

There are supposed no ***** when I type the password "rootme"

I connected iLiad successfully and replace those documents as you said

I am about to charge iLiad for one more hour after the light is off

thank you jharker, I was about to give up

and hansel, thank you for your guy's posts