Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

100MB PDF - could any ereader read these?

I read on Hanlin's forum someone said they had read a 10MB file.

I have some 50MB-100MB files - could any ereader read these?

Talking about PDF (non-DRM) format.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I have run a 58 Mbyte PDF through PDFLRF to generate an LRF file (bigger) that I could read on my Sony Reader. No problems.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I have run a 58 Mbyte PDF through PDFLRF to generate an LRF file (bigger) that I could read on my Sony Reader. No problems.
Wow....that really changes things (about my thinking).

Could you describe briefly your experience with PDFs and your Sony Reader?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I have read files that big on the iLiad. They might take a while to open, but were very readable. Pageturns would take as long as with any other PDF.

Last edited by tribble; 01-08-2008 at 04:37 AM. Reason: i should learn how to spell ;)
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Hi, I've also read that the illiad was good at large pdfs (better than the Sony 505's)
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2008, 04:10 AM   #6
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
Hi, I've also read that the illiad was good at large pdfs (better than the Sony 505's)
sorry i didnt mean the illiads were better than the sony's, just meant the illiads are better at opening large pdfs than the sony (going by what other ppl are saying in this forum).
Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have a letter sized PDF, the iLiad is better at displaying it then the 505. But if you use pdflrf with the 505, you may find the PDF just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Wow! 100 MB PDF? Sort of misses the point of a being a document and crosses over into a big image file. But I could imagine still desiring to be able to see it on a reader. Maybe break it into multiple pages?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
I had a 334 MB PDF, which was a book straight color scanned. My Sony PRS500 did digest it, but it was difficult to read (speed was not an issue) because of contrast and size. I reformatted it with rasterfarian and now have a perfectly readable 24 MB file. So 100 MB is not an issue, however if it is a straight scan you may be able to improve size and readability.
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aru View Post
I had a 334 MB PDF, which was a book straight color scanned. My Sony PRS500 did digest it, but it was difficult to read (speed was not an issue) because of contrast and size. I reformatted it with rasterfarian and now have a perfectly readable 24 MB file. So 100 MB is not an issue, however if it is a straight scan you may be able to improve size and readability.
Thanks for that.

Truthfully I did not expect to be convinced when I opened the challenge thread but tried to retain an open mind. I will purchase the Sony 500 as a bit cheaper.

I did not expect to be purchasing a Sony either as I live in Australia.

Reasons for me are
- kovidgoyal's tools which are honestly amazing to me
- support listed for this reader on this excellent forum
- patient explanation and discussion *sorry for testing everyones patience there btw it was not my intention, I apologise again* by EVERYONE in that thread.
- ability to handle PDFs well enough by me
- Project Gutenburg books
- will be scanning in books of my own and use OCR to convert
- DRM books and ebook stores will be an irrelevance for me
- available on Ebay
- Hanlin does not have the support and a bit unknown in its capabilities
- build does not seem great with the Cybook
- Sony make great hardware IMHO. I have a Sony UX50 UMPC and a PSP.

Thanks to all for your comments. This is a thriving community.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
- will be scanning in books of my own and use OCR to convert
If you are scanning a lot of books, try the Plustek Opticbook 3600. Together with the bundled software it helps tremendously. If you set the treshhold for b/w properly there are very little errors on the OCR file afterwards. In other words it is immediately readable. The time it takes to scan a book is similar to copying it on a copy machine. Frees some time to actually read the book...
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
shousa
Groupie

Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 AM   #13
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I have a pdf file over 150MB readable on iLiad. I think it's not the size of file that matters, it's the size of a page that does.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #14
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aru View Post
If you are scanning a lot of books, try the Plustek Opticbook 3600. Together with the bundled software it helps tremendously. If you set the treshhold for b/w properly there are very little errors on the OCR file afterwards. In other words it is immediately readable. The time it takes to scan a book is similar to copying it on a copy machine. Frees some time to actually read the book...
I've used ABBYY Finreader, its a bit expensive, but a very good ocr if your converting a lot, plus it converts pdfs fairly well too and can save to a large number of different formats lit, txt, html, rft, doc etc.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
I read on Hanlin's forum someone said they had read a 10MB file.

I have some 50MB-100MB files - could any ereader read these?

Talking about PDF (non-DRM) format.
I have not seen one that would. Large pdf google ebooks are what I tried.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote