Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
geekyworld
Enthusiast
geekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: kindle
Does Kubrick change K4NT root password?

Hi,

My K4NT was not bricked but I wanted a clean install so I used Kubrick to install a pristine 4.1.1 image.

It worked well and the device works fine. But when I tried to log in as root using my usual password, I get the access denied error message. I am however able to login with framework:mario. The device serial number has not changed. I ran this command to find the root password:

echo fiona$(grep Serial /proc/cpuinfo|cut -b12-27|md5sum|cut -b8-10)

and got the same one as before. Factory reset also did not help.

Is there any known issue about Kubrick and root passwords? Has anyone experienced this before? Any solution?

Thanks.
geekyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyworld View Post
Hi,

My K4NT was not bricked but I wanted a clean install so I used Kubrick to install a pristine 4.1.1 image.

It worked well and the device works fine. But when I tried to log in as root using my usual password, I get the access denied error message. I am however able to login with framework:mario. The device serial number has not changed. I ran this command to find the root password:

echo fiona$(grep Serial /proc/cpuinfo|cut -b12-27|md5sum|cut -b8-10)

and got the same one as before. Factory reset also did not help.

Is there any known issue about Kubrick and root passwords? Has anyone experienced this before? Any solution?

Thanks.
Yes, of course it replaces the password. It replaces the entire root partition... And no, I don't know what the password is.

Simple solution: install an up-to-date usbNetwork package. It will let you log in via usb with any password. Then simply use "passwd" to set a new one.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
geekyworld
Enthusiast
geekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: kindle
Thanks a lot ixtab for your quick reply. Fortunately, I won't have to do anything.

It turns out, the root password for the Kubrick 4.1.1 image is...hold your breath - mario!
geekyworld is offline   Reply With Quote