Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
Nook Color won't update?

I spent about 30 minutes last night trying to manually update my nook color. I did the previous update with no problem. Is anyone else having trouble?
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahjeanne View Post
I spent about 30 minutes last night trying to manually update my nook color. I did the previous update with no problem. Is anyone else having trouble?
Make sure that the filename is exactly "sideload_update.zip". If the name is different the NC will not recognize the update.
And make sure you copy the update to the root of the NC, not into a folder.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Make sure that the filename is exactly "sideload_update.zip". If the name is different the NC will not recognize the update.
And make sure you copy the update to the root of the NC, not into a folder.
yeah I always save mine to desktop, and then click and drag it, Never have to worry about 'where did I send it again or if it placed into a folder.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yes, I realized I ended up with sideload_update-1.zip (and 2 if truth be know) from accidently clicking on links. Got rid of all those, redownloaded, no go. I am dropping the file on top of the nook "drive" that shows up in my finder.

Going to try again this morning.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I realized I ended up with sideload_update-1.zip (and 2 if truth be know) from accidently clicking on links. Got rid of all those, redownloaded, no go. I am dropping the file on top of the nook "drive" that shows up in my finder.

Going to try again this morning.
After copying the update file to your NC, you need to Eject or Safely Remove the NC drive from your computer.
After the Nook goes to sleep the update should start.
Try rebooting the NC. That should force the update to start.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
deborahjeanne
Zealot

I do eject the NC drive before unplugging
Have tried it three more times this morning.
Did reboot last night, it didn't help, but giving it a try now, nothing.

When I put it in the NC drive, it shows it there. But after I safely eject and wait awhile to see if it is going to work, I plug it back in, and the update doesn't show on the computer as being there anymore.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Also, make sure the complete file downloaded to your PC before sideloading it to the Nook. It should be exactly 173,559,808 bytes long. And if you have to download a 2nd or more time, make sure to delete the earlier version you downloaded. Sometimes, if an older version is on your PC, a new version will get a "(2)" (or "(3)", etc.) appended to the file name. If you sideload that file to your Nook it won't update.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
deborahjeanne
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drv View Post
Also, make sure the complete file downloaded to your PC before sideloading it to the Nook. It should be exactly 173,559,808 bytes long. And if you have to download a 2nd or more time, make sure to delete the earlier version you downloaded. Sometimes, if an older version is on your PC, a new version will get a "(2)" (or "(3)", etc.) appended to the file name. If you sideload that file to your Nook it won't update.
My zip file has 173,559,125 bytes. How do I find this missing bytes? Is it a mac thing?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
My zip file has 173,559,125 bytes. How do I find this missing bytes? Is it a mac thing?
I'm on a Mac. I have the same number of bytes as you.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
This might be really silly to ask, but you aren't unzipping the files first are you? I know it will only work if you put the actual zip file in and wait for your nook to go to sleep.

I also read somewhere that somebody had to put theirs in their sd card. I know that's not what you are supposed to do though, so I don't know why this is what this person experienced (I think I saw it in comments from a site about the 1.1 update).
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I updated several times (root related) by placing the file in the root directory, then powering off the device. When I turned it on I poked around in the menus (library, settings, home) and every time it triggered the install. Each update took no more than five minutes from the time I placed the file on the device, until it installed.

Last edited by SCION; 01-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
deborahjeanne
Zealot

You know I have to hate you now scion, right?

I do know not to unzip the file. I don't have an sd card. I tried doing it on a pc last night, still didn't work.

To add insult to injury, two of my coworkers had theirs update automatically (and they didn't even know it until I asked them).
Old 01-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
geertm
Guru

Just saw this post on the B&N board (posted a few minutes ago):

"Hi all, I was have the same problem has the rest of you for the past few days. I decided to call B&N today to try and get it sorted out. Apparently, the download link for the update posted on their site was faulty yesterday. I was told to redownload the file and it worked right away. Keep in mind the the file name must be exactly Sideload_update . Make sure there is no (1), (2), etc. after the file name."
Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
deborahjeanne
Zealot

Oh geertm you're my hero. It is updating as I type. To be honest I didn't really expect this to work either, so I'm quite pleased.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
jselles007
Gadget Man 007
jselles007 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Mine won't update either. B&N is no help

My first Nook Color won't update either besides having a handful of quirky behaviors. I worked with B&N support for 45 minutes. They haven't a clue. They recommended that I return or exchange the device. I exchanged it and the new one has the exact same problem. Ultimately I think B&N and Android rushed the Nook Color to market with known problems they hoped to fix in the field. It's the old story of not testing thoroughly before marketing. I attempted the update with Windows 7 PC and Mac OS 10 Snow Leopard with the same results - it simply won't update the software from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0. After it stops snowing here, I'm going to take the reader to the B&N store and have them update it - ha ha ha. I can't understand why they leave a defective download link on their support site.
jselles007 is offline   Reply With Quote