Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
So I finally gifted my mother a k3

I've been wanting to gift a kindle to my mom for some time now, but i always balked because i did not know how she would like it.

Anyhow for her birthday i decided i was going to give her the kindle 3 wifi..... She absolutly loved it, i could mot believe how much. she never gets so excited about electronics.

She told me she had wanted one for some time now but always held off becaue of some cost or other.

My quick observations while I configured her device.

The k3 is a very nice device there is no slugguishness in the eink device , I was quite amazed. Even though i did not have my k2 next to it the size was noticably smaller and the screen was much whiter. The browser is very fast, i think the 3G model on the k3 has much more appeal since the device is much faster and the browser is more capable.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you compare the K2 and the K3 side by side, you'll see that the screen isn't actually any whiter, but that the black is a LOT blacker. Text on the K3 is truly black, compared to dark grey on the K2. That's where the contrast difference arises, not in the colour of the screen background.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Great that your mother likes the Kindle! Is she going to get her own Amazon account or are you going to share a single one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The browser is very fast, i think the 3G model on the k3 has much more appeal since the device is much faster and the browser is more capable.
The K3 WiFi and K3 3G+WiFi is the same except the WiFi only model doesn't have the 3G modem card
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Is't it fun to surprise parents with gifts like this? My Mom loves her DXG.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you compare the K2 and the K3 side by side, you'll see that the screen isn't actually any whiter, but that the black is a LOT blacker. Text on the K3 is truly black, compared to dark grey on the K2. That's where the contrast difference arises, not in the colour of the screen background.
Thx Harry you are correct, I had forgotten that. I just saw how crisp the fonts where and the contrast and assumed it was a whiter screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Great that your mother likes the Kindle! Is she going to get her own Amazon account or are you going to share a single one?
HA HA funny you ask. I setup my mom to access my account and told her she can buy any books she wants don't worry about the cost.

She did not hesitate to respond"Set it up with my account, I don't care for you to know what I'm reading." ... Okay mom you got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post

The K3 WiFi and K3 3G+WiFi is the same except the WiFi only model doesn't have the 3G modem card
I guess I'm more comparing the K3 3G to my K2 3G. The 3G on the K2 was a novel feature and really helped out when you needed internet access.

On the K3 the browser is good enough to use as a browser. And the eInk refresh is fast enough to type w/o experiencing a lag. (Typing on the K2 is painful)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Is't it fun to surprise parents with gifts like this? My Mom loves her DXG.
It is, I'm also glad to see she is so excited about it.

Gifting eReaders is a hit or miss. I gifted my sister one and it's collecting dust. I don't think the same thing will happen with my mom's kindle however.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 01-18-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: edit gramer
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I checked with my parents before getting my Mom one to make sure she really wanted one. She did. Then she lost it. After a few months she mentioned missing it so I got her a second one. If she loses it, I will get her a third one and a tether of some sort...
Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Sounds like private health insurance!
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
She did not hesitate to respond"Set it up with my account, I don't care for you to know what I'm reading." ... Okay mom you got it.
Yeah, I would say that's one Kindle that won't be collecting dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Then she lost it. After a few months she mentioned missing it so I got her a second one. If she loses it, I will get her a third one and a tether of some sort...
A couple of months? I hope she lost it in her house somewhere or she knew to deregister it.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Aww...what a nice offspring you are!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
A couple of months? I hope she lost it in her house somewhere or she knew to deregister it.
I think she wanted it replaced all along but knew that it was expensive so didn't ask me. My Dad told me she didn't want a second one. I asked her closer to her birthday and she said she did like it I would like another one. So I sent her another one.

Then I told her that my older brother had lost a K2 and a DX recently so she shouldn't feel bad. He had, I had just found out. Stuff happens.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
I, myself, am considering getting her a DX (I have a kindle 3) for the bigger screen, so she can use bigger fonts.

Right now, I just uploaded a book in my kindle for her and on her iPad to see on which device she likes reading most. Depending on the outcome, I will act accordingely.

I think Kindles are great gifts for older people!
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWorthWhile View Post
I, myself, am considering getting her a DX (I have a kindle 3) for the bigger screen, so she can use bigger fonts.

Right now, I just uploaded a book in my kindle for her and on her iPad to see on which device she likes reading most. Depending on the outcome, I will act accordingely.

I think Kindles are great gifts for older people!
You give awfully expensive presents. A pair of socks is more in my line.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You give awfully expensive presents. A pair of socks is more in my line.
She would have been ok with a nice pair of earrings though. I did get her comfy, warm socks but those were for use in the Chemo room

If money was tight and we couldn't do it, then I would give her something else. But I am blessed enough that that is not the case and I can afford to give her this gift.

My parents paid for four years of college at a private University. I make enough money that a Kindle DXG is a nice gift that in no way shape or forms shows my Mother how much I appreciate the sacrifices she made for me.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
I've been wanting to gift a kindle to my mom for some time now, but i always balked because i did not know how she would like it.

Anyhow for her birthday i decided i was going to give her the kindle 3 wifi..... She absolutly loved it, i could mot believe how much. she never gets so excited about electronics.

She told me she had wanted one for some time now but always held off becaue of some cost or other.

My quick observations while I configured her device.

The k3 is a very nice device there is no slugguishness in the eink device , I was quite amazed. Even though i did not have my k2 next to it the size was noticably smaller and the screen was much whiter. The browser is very fast, i think the 3G model on the k3 has much more appeal since the device is much faster and the browser is more capable.

Wish I can do the same.

My mom is 83 I think (she always lied about her age, lol) so I'm afraid that a Kindle 3 could be a "technology tsunami" for her ... . Also, she reads a lot but mostly newspaper and does not speak English at all (although she can establish a conversation with my wife, don't ask me how, hahaha)
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I put out a lot of hints before Christmas and two of our kids got me Amazon vouchers so I could get books for my kindle. I have told everyone that from now on all I want is Amazon vouchers.They still give me other stuff that I don;t want at all.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote