Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion: The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

So... what did you think?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Well, I for one was really disappointed in the book. Not in the sense that I had ever read Chandler and was let down that way, because I had not. I was disappointed because I had heard good things about the author not only here, but other sites as well. My main complaints with the book:

1.It seemed to me to be disjointed and all over the place. I know everything eventually came back to Lennox/Marston, but it took it's sweet time getting there and took a lot of twists and turns along the way. By the time of the big reveal, I didn't care that Lennox/Marston was still alive. I just wanted the damn book to be over with. Heck, I would have been happy with it ending after the murder and the suicide of the writer and his wife.

2.I didn't care for a single character in the book, outside of Marlowe. Now, maybe that was the only person I was meant to care about, but it still kept me from really connecting with the material. I guess in the end maybe I didn't care about Marlowe that much, either, because I had a hard time motivating myself to pick up the book and continue reading. A book of this size usually takes me about 2-3 days to get through, this one took me 14 days. I just didn't have any urgency to go forward with the story more than an hour or so at a time. I think not connecting with any of the characters and the story being all over the place and not really feeling cohesive were big contributing factors to this.

In the end, I can't give this book any more than *1/2 or ** out of ****. I just found it a tedious, arduous task to even finish the book. At several points I wanted to quit, but I kept with it for two reasons: to see if it got better, and so I could discuss it here.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Well, I for one was really disappointed in the book. Not in the sense that I had ever read Chandler and was let down that way, because I had not. I was disappointed because I had heard good things about the author not only here, but other sites as well.
Amen to that that. I felt exactly the same. This book has been praised to the skies on Amazon and for what. I was expecting a masterpiece, instead I regretted spending money to get it.

I didn't feel with any of the characters and the book gave me very little. The book felt melancholic all the way through to the end.

This was my first book by Chandler and probably my last.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Eh, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. I put it down a couple of times and read something else, then picked it back up. I just finished it about an hour ago.

What really struck me was that, as a woman, I didn't connect with any of the female characters AT ALL. They were just paper dolls or something. The story was pretty good, but I was handicapped by not being familiar with some of the "tough guy" lingo and the fact that this genre really isn't my cup of tea. I would have liked for Marlowe and Lennox to be friends at the end, but I really didn't expect an upbeat ending.

I doubt I'll read another Marlowe book, but I'm not sorry I read this one. It might even inspire me to do a little research on that place and time.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
What really struck me was that, as a woman, I didn't connect with any of the female characters AT ALL. They were just paper dolls or something.
My guess is you'd find that with all seven of the Chandler Marlowe's; he often lavishes much more detail, sympathy and motivation on relatively minor male characters than he does on leading women in the plots.

Chandler's writing is witty, obtuse, clever, interior ... great qualities if you love "a good read". Chandler's works are among those that I don't want to end; they are steeped in their own juices.

If you don't like Chandler, you probably won't like Robert B Parker's Spencer series, either. Unlike many others, Parker's "gumshoe" is not derivative of Chandler, but more a reimagining. They have style, cleverness, unexpected humour and asides ... and are fine "good reads".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Aren't taste funny?

I engulfed the book in less that a week of on and off reading. Stayed up late the last night to finish it. This is only my second Chandler (first was "The Big Sleep") and so far I consider it the best.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Excellent example of classic noir.
No one could write like Chandler.
Only Andrew Vachss and Cornell Woolrich come close.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
"The Long Goodbye" was quite enjoyable for me while I was reading it, at times I even found myself glued to it and could not put it down (so, many times better than "The 39 Steps", which we read some months ago ), but it is one of those books that I could pick up again a year from now and it would seem like I never read it, as opposed to others that stick with me - as does "The Book Thief", for example.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Not that far into it yet, I'm afraid (been a little side-lined by life stuff, I feel), but so far I'd call it 'okay'. I remember reading this about - um? - 15-20 years ago, when I was practically a teenager and loved crime fiction. I remembered Chandler's novels as good, but today I have a somewhat different view of what constitutes good writing, so I felt apprehensive about reading this. Fortunately my fears were easy to lay to rest. I still like the style of those well-placed one-liners. The overall pace of the story, the story itself, somehow fails to grab me. Though... I'm not sure it should all be blamed on Mr. Chandler - at least as far as I'm concerned.

Chandler can do something special with language and writing that I don't feel has diminished at all since this was written.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I really enjoyed it, but so far I seem to be in the minority. However, I knew what to expect. In college working on my lit degree, I took a semester of detective fiction. The Long Goodbye was new to me, but I have read a bunch of Chandler and noir fiction.

The things that I liked most were the insights into Chandler's mind and his thought on the act of writing. I wonder if these were serious musings or self-deprecating humor? (I am too lazy to research it.). I found myself bookmarking those passages where he ponders writers and writing.

Was this book ever serialized? Because each episode could easily have been a stand-alone

Sure, the women were flat and sketchy. In this book, they are just furniture, decorative and someplace to hang a few plot points. Nothing suggests they matter at all, which is typical of detective fiction from that period. Also notice that the corpses are just left and ignored. Again, merely a tool to move the plot along.

Overall, I liked it and devoured it in two days.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
voodoo_pepperweb
voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.

Device: Kindle K3, Android phone
I really liked this. There were some great lines. I was inspired to use Stanza to post some quotes on Facebook. I don't usually do much with Facebook, but this seemed worthwhile.

I really didn't get what was going on in Eileen Wade's head. She knew Terry/Paul wasn't the same man anymore and they couldn't reclaim what they had. So why did she feel like murdering Sylvia and her husband?
voodoo_pepperweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I thought the book explained that she murdered Sylvia because she had taken two men from her, and killed Mr. Wade because he knew or was starting to remember what happened.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #13
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Chandler can do something special with language and writing that I don't feel has diminished at all since this was written.
Words and the way of writing is very important, but I feel it's not enough. Words needs to be backed up by a good story or I could have just read some poem or prose. I never felt captivated by the story and didn't feel for any of the characters. I guess I'm just not a fan of Noir writing.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:17 AM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
When Chandler wrote, the keys on his typewriter hammered the paper like a hopped up conga player fighting for his life against the flight of the bumblebee.

And regarding "plot", as Chandler said himself "When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand".

Man, I love Chandler.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
The theme that I love most in all of Chandler's is the under dog that never lets go and is loyal to his friends.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote