Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Jetbook Freezing

I am wondering if I should take this unit back and exchange it.

I will on occasion have problems loading a book. I can be reading an .epub file, close the file, power down the book and then when I power back up it will sit locked in the hourglass and never load the book.

The only way to get out of it is to:

1. Reboot the Jetbook
or
2. Remove the external storage card ( Yes I have tried different cards )

I have to read a file in internal memory and then close it and go to the external SD card to read a file. Most of the time this fixes it until it happens randomly again.

I have 33g firmware and I am going to flash the 33H firmware so I can try out some 8 gig SDHC cards I have.

Has anyone else seen this problem ?

I can just take it back and exchange it where I bought it for a week and I am coming up to that deadline.

Thanx
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Ok first question, why do you close the file?

If I boot my jetbook to the start screen, it takes much much longer.
30 - 45 seconds on average to get everything loaded and go in and choose a book.

If I just shut the Jetbook down where I'm at it starts in 3 - 4 seconds. Bringing me right back to where I was at when I shut it down.

"I have to read a file in internal memory and then close it and go to the external SD card to read a file. Most of the time this fixes it until it happens randomly again."

I don't think I've ever had a book fail to load, normally in 10 seconds, sometimes if it is VERY large, longer. It may be that your trying to load files bigger than its memory can handle.

Also test on more than one format type.

I have had to use the reset button maybe 3 times in 6 months, all 3 times it got "hung" after loading books or charging. Removed the USB plug and it would stay stuck. Waited 30 seconds, still stuck, hit reset, count to 10, power up, navigate back to the book I was reading. (often I use recent readings in menu) and away I go.

If your getting stuck on a particular book you might want to try splitting it if its large.
Or it might have gotten something corrupted at some point in the download.

Last edited by GhostHawk; 12-16-2009 at 09:59 PM.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
I think it is something in the hardware, It takes forever to copy books through he usb port on the book to the storage card. I think there is something flaky in the sd card circuit. I have tried 3 different brands of sd cards and sizes. If I copy to the card through a reader it copies very fast, through the Jetbook it take 10 to 15 times longer.

I will say the upgrade to 33H made the system menus faster, I can now use over 2 gig cards, and the page turns are faster.

Just to be safe I am going to exchange this one tomorrow.

BTW I have had it a week and I am reading my fourth book on it.

Last edited by gr8npwrfl; 12-17-2009 at 01:29 AM. Reason: additions
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
The USB is only 1.1 so it will be slow. I generally take the SD card out and use it directly in my laptop for book transfers.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
The USB is only 1.1 so it will be slow. I generally take the SD card out and use it directly in my laptop for book transfers.
yes, I keep all my books on SD cards too.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert