Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quality Books

Are there any eBook websites that specialize in established classical and contemporary writers and offer professional quality eBooks therefrom?

It seems to me that on any given website the bulk of the material is from virtual unknowns... not to mention that genre/theme preferences seem very heavily weighed in favour of what I would categorize as "pulp fiction" of mostly predictable varieties.

I'm not against new authors being given a chance and/or more exposure than in the paper book market/world... but now and then I am driven to despair by how little I can find from collections of thousands of books that actually interest me. In contrast, Project Gutenberg and the Hungarian Electronic Library and treasure troves... but with both of those, I have to do my own formatting and, while there is much of interest, both organization's selection is limited in its own way.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think that maybe I'm ready to go back to the classics pretty soon also. Are we just burning out with an overabundance of light reading? I can't seem to find anything that interests me either. Except for the freebies from our MR authors, which are far and away some of the best things that I've read lately!

Right now, I'm reading (and LOVING) J(eff)Inlo's Alien Cradle. Having to fight myself to keep from clicking thru and spoiling it by reading the ending!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
There is a fair amount of decent "classical" stuff here. You just have to sift through the "pulp."
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I think that maybe I'm ready to go back to the classics pretty soon also. Are we just burning out with an overabundance of light reading? I can't seem to find anything that interests me either. Except for the freebies from our MR authors, which are far and away some of the best things that I've read lately!

Right now, I'm reading (and LOVING) J(eff)Inlo's Alien Cradle. Having to fight myself to keep from clicking thru and spoiling it by reading the ending!
I think you might have put it better than I did: it is indeed an overabundance of light reading... with nary enough meat.

- Ahi
Old 08-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
There is a fair amount of decent "classical" stuff here. You just have to sift through the "pulp."
What do you understand under classical?

While I am not a person who would have qualms paying for stuff that is available freely on Project Gutenberg, I view any eBook that is available on PG as having a great danger of being an untouched, uncorrected, barely formatted PG eText... and that I am not willing to pay for.

- Ahi
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Why not read both?

I'm currently reading a Victorian classic, and a modern 'pulp' thriller.
I read the classic when I have a decent amount of time, and have the pulp for dipping in to, or for last thing at night.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:

Oh yes, of course, I was just talking about my personal feeling lately that I'm a bit jaded from so much reading lately and perhaps it is time to explore outside my genre. Of course, what I was thinking was Idylls of the King, which is sort of scifi anyway, so that isn't much of a stretch. Or The Faerie Queen or something Shakespearian, but not the usual "hot Picks" plays like Hamlet, Lear, or Romeo&Juliet, but maybe some of the less popular ones.

And she rambles on and on and on.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Why not read both?

I'm currently reading a Victorian classic, and a modern 'pulp' thriller.
I read the classic when I have a decent amount of time, and have the pulp for dipping in to, or for last thing at night.
Because even the commercially wildly successful pulp thrillers give me little pleasure. Mayhaps I am a literary snob?

- Ahi
Old 08-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
What do you understand under classical?

While I am not a person who would have qualms paying for stuff that is available freely on Project Gutenberg, I view any eBook that is available on PG as having a great danger of being an untouched, uncorrected, barely formatted PG eText... and that I am not willing to pay for.

- Ahi
I was actually referring to "here" as MobileRead.com.

You can find stuff ranging from Homer, to Austen, to Fitzgerald, to Maugham, to Dumas....

From plausibly, to perfectly formatted.

In addition, Project Gutenberg is improving their formatting, as well as their format availability.

All for free....

Plus, if you have a favorite, which is not available with nice formatting, it's considered "good works" to format it, and make it available for the rest of us
Old 08-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
You can find stuff ranging from Homer, to Austen, to Fitzgerald, to Maugham, to Dumas....

From plausibly, to perfectly formatted.

In addition, Project Gutenberg is improving their formatting, as well as their format availability.

All for free....

Plus, if you have a favorite, which is not available with nice formatting, it's considered "good works" to format it, and make it available for the rest of us
Who here is going to agree to my heretical PDF-izing of plausibly to perfectly formatted LRFs and ePubs?

- Ahi
Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Who here is going to agree to my heretical PDF-izing of plausibly to perfectly formatted LRFs and ePubs?

- Ahi
Nobody in his/her right mind.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nothing is as blissful as typographic ignorance, I understand.

- Ahi
Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, that would be me

If there was a large format reader, with full PDF support, including hyperlinks, search and dictionary, I'd be all over it, and will buy only PDF books.

And so will most of the sane, non design-challenged, world.

Last edited by Sonist; 08-05-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Are there any eBook websites that specialize in established classical and contemporary writers and offer professional quality eBooks therefrom?
I quite often trawl through the Modern Library pages at Randon House. A fair proportion are now in ebook format and usually very well formatted - though I did once have to manually connect up all the end-notes in an edition of Tacitus. It's a great list but it's only a catalogue, you have then to go and find them in a store.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
In contrast, Project Gutenberg and the Hungarian Electronic Library and treasure troves... but with both of those, I have to do my own formatting and, while there is much of interest, both organization's selection is limited in its own way.

- Ahi
Did you try out the Internet Archive? It doesn't exactly meet your needs but seeing what you're getting online before you bother downloading it might relieve some of the frustration. - That link is just intended as an example, not a suggestion.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote